6 months visa

OP, Ubonjoe advice has you covered.

Just note that you could enter visa exempt if from country that has that arrangement with Thailand. That gives a 45 day stay then you can obtain 30 day standard extension followed by 60 day covid extensions. That would cover 6 month stay.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Just note that you could enter visa exempt if from country that has that arrangement with Thailand. That gives a 45 day stay then you can obtain 30 day standard extension followed by 60 day covid extensions. That would cover 6 month stay.

Yes, but I read that should be end September 31st.

3 minutes ago, Tayida said:

I think the 45 days will be be expended beyond the 30th. Only if the 14 day quarantine ends will it not be extended.

You still would get 30 anyway. The will not stop allowing visa exempt entries.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

think they would allow one way tix in LOS, as this was my style pre covid and getting a 30 exempt?

11 minutes ago, Tayida said:

Unlikely.

You can always go the tourist visa path if you feel more comfortable with that option. 

I'm out of touch with cost of the tourist visa. It does provide 15 days more however with covid extensions readily available it's obvious why many are currently entering visa exempt.

4 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

think they would allow one way tix in LOS, as this was my style pre covid and getting a 30 exempt?

Flying visa exempt you will need onward flight. 

It's airline requirement for boarding. Not an immigration requirement.

10 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Been going to LOS yearly since 2008..all ONE way apart from my last trip---never had a visa either

Yes I have seen reports the same as yours and no reason to doubt them.

From which country and which airline did you fly visa exempt without onward flight. 

I can assure you that most airlines will insist upon it.

BTW this requirement was in place pre covid

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm out of touch with cost of the tourist visa. It does provide 15 days more however with covid extensions readily available it's obvious why many are currently entering visa exempt.

To expand on this a little:

• Currently, if planning to stay in Thailand 75 days or less, there is absolutely no advantage to a tourist visa. The 45 days plus 30-day extension you receive routinely from a visa exempt entry is the easy solution.
  • If planning to stay exactly between 76 and 90 days, a tourist visa in advance makes sense. It ensures that you will always be able to stay just with the guaranteed 60 days on entry and 30-day extension.
  • If planning to stay as long as possible on a tourist entry (more than 90 days) I believe a visa exempt entry is the logical choice. The 15 days extra you receive with a tourist visa could, in theory, mean that you end up ultimately with less time on your tourist entry (or it could be more). It all depends on when the current practice of granting 60-day Covid extensions ends. If you are lucky, the Covid extensions will end such that you are just eligible for a final Covid extension based on your current permission to stay. It could be that the 15 days extra from the beginning of your stay just disqualifies you from a final Covid extension as Covid extensions end just too early.

It should be obvious that anyone hoping to stay many months on a tourist entry needs to have backup plans. That could, for instance be, if necessary, moving to an education visa in-country. That is just as easily done whether entering visa exempt or with a tourist visa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes I have seen reports the same as yours and no reason to doubt them.

From which country and which airline did you fly visa exempt without onward flight. 

BTW this requirement was in place pre covid

First arrive in LOS in 2008--have returned yearly since --jump from LAX..lately has been EVA as I like them with a layover in taiwan-BKK-CNX

Ive done Korean air--Norwegian-asiana-cathay pacific---not sure but maybe CP, but only ONE has ever "sweated" me in LAX..she called her supervisor

over and I have always said Im leaving LOS after the exempt 30...(points to backpack carry on as its all i bring) and he cleared me....after a stern look.

Have NEVER, ever had a visa...and has always been one way apart from last visit as one never knows life in LOS and book a tix home when I feel its time to go

Is what is it, Ive backed up my stories here with WPs-visa stamps etc..I have no reason to lie, Im simply stating what has been my routine, as clearly it works...

I understand the risks of it and do NOT suggest others follow my lead, but Ive stated my reasons, just wondered if ONE way woulld work during covid and COE...

Im from the states and will likely stick with red eye out of LAX with Eva air as they feed u, have some wine, and dope out for the long haul across pacific ocean. so with a variety of LAX asian flights Ive made 11 one way trips to BKK, and as noted having had one rep call her boss over, the rest just pushed me on thru......($$$)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/1/2021 at 9:58 AM, DrJack54 said:

Those of a nervous disposition should definitely have an onward flight booking if trying to fly to Thailand without a visa.

That said, up until two years ago, I frequently flew into Thailand, sometimes with and sometimes without a visa. If intending visa exempt entry, it is up to the airline supervisor whether to insist on an onward flight booking. Several times, I have had to sign a special form guaranteeing to indemnify the airline against any costs they incur by flying me to Thailand without following the official regulations. I am quite sure that the airline supervisor will eye you up and down before deciding whether to allow you to sign an indemnification form and check you in. You are unlikely to be offered this option if you look like a backpacker.

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

There are various sites where you can buy "real" tickets for $10-$20; "real" in that if they are checked in the system it will show up (but you obviously can't use them). For example:

https://onewayfly.com

https://bestonwardticket.com

https://onward.flights

I learn something new here everyday!  Cheers!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I learn something new here everyday!  Cheers!

You're welcome. It's another one of those "who would have thought!" business models. Of course another option is to just edit a PDF of a past flight and hope they don't physically check if asked for proof of outbound flight.

31 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Elaborate please...never heard of renting tix--only girls in thailand ????

Hopeless at providing a link but check out www.bestonwardticket.com  

One of many providers. Process is also explained on home page.

I nearly always get one of these if flying one way. Only had show twice at check in.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Salerno said:

You're welcome. It's another one of those "who would have thought!" business models. Of course another option is to just edit a PDF of a past flight and hope they don't physically check if asked for proof of outbound flight.

As im assuming the embassy would need this to approve a COE.....(sigh)

10 minutes ago, Greenwich Boy said:

Hopeless at providing a link but check out www.bestonwardticket.com  

One of many providers. Process is also explained on home page.

I nearly always get one of these if flying one way. Only had show twice at check in.

Ive done LOS a dozen times with one way tix but only really been questioned once and still allowed me to go..never gone with a visa either

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

As im assuming the embassy would need this to approve a COE.....(sigh)

Yeah, the editing a PDF I would say is an even dumber move than normal if it's for a COE (wasn't thinking of that scenario, just for a "jobsworth" at checkin in normal times).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Yeah, the editing a PDF I would say is an even dumber move than normal if it's for a COE (wasn't thinking of that scenario, just for a "jobsworth" at checkin in normal times).

My main Q was asking if I could still go to LOS one way as seems I would have to get COE approval at embassy..but seeing some sign of Oct opening..(maybe)

Curious to if all the BS rules will still apply.....(blah)....oh missing the easy carefree days pre covid...but thais have been trying to get us insured long before covid

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Ive done LOS a dozen times with one way tix but only really been questioned once and still allowed me to go..never gone with a visa either

I prefer to have the ticket, even just for reassurance. Also I get my plans queried often (have sat in the naughty chair at immigration in Singapore and Bali for a 'chat') I even get my hand luggage weighed.

Must have a guilty face!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Greenwich Boy said:

I prefer to have the ticket, even just for reassurance. Also I get my plans queried often (have sat in the naughty chair at immigration in Singapore and Bali for a 'chat') I even get my hand luggage weighed.

Must have a guilty face!

Maybe its due to my hansum-ness!  555    or my undeniable charm!    (drifts back to reality)

• Like 1