Elderly British expat rescued after spending three days lost in the jungle in Khon Kaen

webfact

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

No GPS mapping app needs a phone signal, but in hilly jungle terrain even GPS can become unreliable. The signals are often too weak to penetrate the canopy.

Google Maps needs a data connection, unless you download the data ahead of time.

54 minutes ago, EricTh said:

There are some people who live in the jungle. 

Yeah some people live in Greenland also! You think he not get help from people in jungle if he meet somebody! I think even "jungle" people know what means help! Or surely "jungle" people not think he belong there! And are you sure those people speak Thai!

Edited by 2 is 1

There was a Dutch guy here in Cha-am also lost for three days,they found him lastnight.

He was in worse shape then the guy from the OP,lets just wait what the news will say about him.

He was way of course and had no idea where he was.

7 hours ago, gungadin1 said:

Because he doesn't look like he's 49 that's why

Both you and the one I quoted seems to have a hard time. Even if they happened to write he 49, it is quite obvious that it is the age of his wife. I actually goes without saying.

5 hours ago, nkg said:

Judging by the average poster on Thaivisa, most of the expats in Thailand are miserable old sods, not youthful 49 year-olds ????

And why did you put my name together with another persons post? That also says a lot about you.

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So you are guaranteeing that just by walking blindly for three days will lead to a path.  That there will be no obstacles in any of those direction such as, perhaps, a cliff, steep waterfall, dense jungle, river/stream, dead end, etc., that means he would have to start his three days self-rescue mission form scratch again?   Very hard to believe.

It's a 100% certainty  if he walks in a more or less straight line

22 hours ago, DefaultName said:

It's a lot of years since I went hiking, but one thing I remember is that, if you get lost, go downhill until you find water, then follow that, there will be people eventually.  Of course, that wasn't in a jungle.

Might find yourself in a deep ravine, at the top of a 30m high waterfall ????

22 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

And why did you put my name together with another persons post? That also says a lot about you.

When I click reply, it only includes the post I'm responding to, not the one before made by a different person. My post didn't make much sense unless both replies were included, unfortunately I didn't include the other person's name, which I should have done.

My post wasn't criticizing you or anybody else, it was intended as a joke. Don't worry, be happy ????

On 9/4/2021 at 2:56 PM, wimpy said:
On 9/4/2021 at 1:27 PM, Moonlover said:

No GPS mapping app needs a phone signal, but in hilly jungle terrain even GPS can become unreliable. The signals are often too weak to penetrate the canopy.

On 9/4/2021 at 2:56 PM, wimpy said:

Google Maps needs a data connection, unless you download the data ahead of time.

Which is why you download the data ahead of time.

33 minutes ago, nkg said:

When I click reply, it only includes the post I'm responding to, not the one before made by a different person. My post didn't make much sense unless both replies were included, unfortunately I didn't include the other person's name, which I should have done.

My post wasn't criticizing you or anybody else, it was intended as a joke. Don't worry, be happy ????

Sure! Still against the forum rules, so please do not do it again.

On 9/4/2021 at 2:16 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Given to him by the rescuers after they found him, perhaps?

Perhaps.  It reminds me of when I went to the condo management office a few days ago. It was after hours and there was only the one guy manning the office... alone... with his mask on....

6 hours ago, Sig said:

Perhaps.  It reminds me of when I went to the condo management office a few days ago. It was after hours and there was only the one guy manning the office... alone... with his mask on....

Perhaps he was anticipating the chance that someone would come into the office (just as you did).

I am 85 and a much fitter then a lot of teenagers. So don't knock him because he is 73 might be fitter then You. Ever lost you car in a carpark or which door you used to enter a large shopping mall??. 

Anyway the main thing to do before, during and after is,

HAVE A BACK UP PLAN

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 11:09 AM, Liverpool Lou said:
On 9/6/2021 at 4:31 AM, Sig said:

Expand  

Perhaps he was anticipating the chance that someone would come into the office (just as you did).

You just can't figure that the mask wearing in a room when alone is nonsense? Perhaps he thought this or that or the other thing... or perhaps he is just about as brain-dead as so many who have been so utterly brainwashed by all of the foolishness going on about COVID. I did NOT go into the office, as you said. And no, he would not be anticipating anyone would be coming into the office. As I mentioned, it was after hours and there were no staff around who would enter the office and others who have business with the office, like I did, go to the service window, which is now sealed off with plastic with a small square cut out at the bottom to pass paperwork through.
PERHAPS you can't seem to recognize that somebody who was there first hand could judge the situation for what it was. It was stupidity fueled by nonsensical government and media propaganda and there was no plausible reason for the guy to be wearing his mask while in the large office space alone. Just like when you see drivers all over the place wearing masks while driving in their car alone or motorcycle riders (other than the very few individuals who wear a mask in an attempt to protect themselves from pollution, which in Chiangmai is so low that wearing the mask is not protecting a whole lot), the same. It is complete and utter nonsense.

1 minute ago, Sig said:

Expand  

Expand  

You just can't figure that the mask wearing in a room when alone is nonsense?

Yes, I can and I agree with that sentiment.  But, what I said was nothing to do with not being able to figure something out, or being brainwashed, what I did say was that perhaps he knew someone was coming into the room that he was in and that he'd have to wear a mask.   Surprised you couldn't figure that out by reading what I posted.

On 9/15/2021 at 6:52 PM, Liverpool Lou said:
On 9/15/2021 at 6:48 PM, Sig said:

Expand  Expand   Expand  

Expand  Expand   Expand  

You just can't figure that the mask wearing in a room when alone is nonsense?

Expand  

Yes, I can and I agree with that sentiment.  But, what I said was nothing to do with not being able to figure something out, or being brainwashed, what I did say was that perhaps he knew someone was coming into the room that he was in and that he'd have to wear a mask.   Surprised you couldn't figure that out by reading what I posted.

No, that's not what you said. Although your revised version is better. What you did say was, "Perhaps he was anticipating the chance that someone would come into the office (just as you did)." There's a BIG difference between knowing and anticipating a chance that someone may come into the room. But as I mentioned, there would be no person who would be entering that room at that time, let alone me or any other client. Perhaps you live in a beautiful bubble somewhere and don't see these kinds of things daily as I do. Take a look at drivers driving solo with a mask on around you sometime. You may actually be surprised since you seem to not have any idea that people may actually be so nonsensical to wear a mask obsessively with no good reason. Heck, I've seen solo driver's like this up in the beautiful mountain air driving alone in remote places of Chiangmai and Maehongson! But particularly at this office where I know their habits, including one of the other workers in that office who is more sensible and rarely wears her mask, regardless of the time of day or who is or isn't in the office. I've never seen this guy's mask leave his face and he is alone in that office for hours on end and is not expecting anybody to come in. I asked him today, just for you.