Elderly British expat rescued after spending three days lost in the jungle in Khon Kaen

webfact

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

73 years old, could not speak Thai and going hiking alone? That's a formula for disaster.

He's lucky this time, shouldn't do it again.

So who help him in jungle if he speak Thai! Thai speaking jumbo?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I love hiking in the jungle myself. Almost got lost in Khao Phanom Bencha (near Krabi) once, and I remember thinking how much I would hate to spend the night there, let alone three, like Mr. Weller. He’s still a lucky guy, though, and I’m glad he was found and it ended well for him. 

• Like 1

Fools luck, i mean who would go into the forrest without taking at least a mobile with him or better preparation.

You see people like this using up precious resources all the time because they overestimate themselves. When i go hiking in Khao Yai i usually rent a guide too. Once i went without and it was hard to follow the trails as they can be quite unclear suffice to say we could not finish the walk as the track was gone. Going back was ok as we had a river / stream to guide us.

But its just not smart to attempt these things especially alone.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wimpy said:

I use Locus, which can load offline maps. No signal needed.

No GPS mapping app needs a phone signal, but in hilly jungle terrain even GPS can become unreliable. The signals are often too weak to penetrate the canopy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

73 years old, could not speak Thai and going hiking alone? That's a formula for disaster.

He's lucky this time, shouldn't do it again.

Not really, I've seen older people than him in the Himalayas doing very well. He is just not prepared for cases when things go wrong. Should have at least a water filter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Not really, I've seen older people than him in the Himalayas doing very well. He is just not prepared for cases when things go wrong. Should have at least a water filter.

At least he had his vitally necessary mask! You never know what log COVID might be lurking under out there in the jungle....

7 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Says he was 49 in UK tabloids.thought it was odd so checked here

Why would that be odd?

Anyway, happy to hear Mr. Weller is alright.

Judging by the average poster on Thaivisa, most of the expats in Thailand are miserable old sods, not youthful 49 year-olds ????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JulesMad said:

Very hard to believe... If you walk 3 days (even slowly) in any direction, you WILL stumble on a path, track or road, and people as well. This is Esan ????

You seriously expect a 79-year old to be able to walk for three days out of the jungle to safety without equipment, food or water?   This is the real world.

9 minutes ago, JulesMad said:

Very hard to believe... If you walk 3 days (even slowly) in any direction, you WILL stumble on a path, track or road, and people as well. This is Esan ????

So you are guaranteeing that just by walking blindly for three days will lead to a path.  That there will be no obstacles in any of those direction such as, perhaps, a cliff, steep waterfall, dense jungle, river/stream, dead end, etc., that means he would have to start his three days self-rescue mission form scratch again?   Very hard to believe.