What are my visa options for retiring in Thailand now?

I lived in Thailand from 1995-2015.  For the past six years I have been living and working in Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh City).  I would now like to return to Thailand to retire.  What are my visa options for doing that?  (Note that I qualify for neither visa-free entry into Thailand, nor visa on arrival.)  So I will have to get some kind of visa from the Thai consulate here in Ho Chi Minh City before going to Thailand.  Also note that I still have my bank account in Thailand from my time working there - and that account has well over THB 800,000 in it - if that matters/helps.)

My understanding is that I could enter Thailand on a tourist visa and then in Thailand convert that visa to another visa that would allow me to stay for retirement?  I also understand that there is an option to get the "retirement" visa in advance, before entering Thailand.  I further understand that there is a difference between these two options regarding the need for getting insurance, but I don't know in which case the applicant would need the insurance and in which case not.  So maybe someone can address that issue as well.

I am obviously aware of the difficulties of entering Thailand at the moment (not to mention the impossibility of leaving Vietnam now - actually we haven't even been able to leave our homes for the past two weeks - even to go shopping - as we are under total lockdown here.)  So I would hope to implement this plan as soon as it is feasible, hopefully around Dec/Jan/Feb.

Any advice would be appreciated.  Also please let me know if there is anything else that I need to consider, aside from the things that I asked/mentioned.

Thanks very much in advance.

• Like 1

Obtain tourist visa in Saigon.

After entering thailand obtain non O retirement at immigration.

You will need 800k in Thai bank on day you apply.

That gives you 90 day stay.

In last 30 day of that stay apply for 12 month extension. The 800k will need to have been in the bank for 2 month min on day you apply.

OP, I have friends in Saigon and aware of how strict it is there lockdown wise.

By comparison Thailand has VERY few restrictions.

Good luck.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have you tried getting the Non-O "Retirement" Visa from the Thai Embassy in Vietnam? I felt pretty sure that people used to go there for Non-O's but am not sure whether these were on the basis of marriage. 

The Non-O does not require Health Insurance (though you will need some to travel to Thailand at the moment) whereas the Non-OA does (NB Typically you would need to go back to your home country to get a Non-OA).

Which Country are you from only there can't be too many who can't get a Visa Exempt or a Visa On Arrival. 

Your general understanding of the options is correct. If looking forward to a time when there are reduced requirements, I believe you will still need 400k/40k general medical insurance if applying for a Non O visa (but not for a tourist visa). There is also currently the requirement in all cases to get US$100,000 Covid insurance for the duration of your initial permission to stay that you are given on entry. If entering with a tourist visa, this would be two months, with a Non O visa three months. I expect the Covid insurance to remain for a long time. I also think there will be a need to be fully vaccinated if looking at late 2021/early 2022.

1 hour ago, BangkokBaksida said:

Is that all correct?

Yep, you have it covered.

Note you don't need to obtain the non O (retirement) as soon as you arrive. The tourist visa stamps you in for 60 days. Obtain the non O prior to expiry of that per period.

When you obtain the non O that stamps you for further 90 days. 

In last 30 obtain your 12 month extension.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BangkokBaksida said:

So, if I understand correctly, I can get an ordinary two-month tourist visa at the Thai Consulate here in Ho Chi Minh City; enter Thailand on that visa; go to the Immigration Office (immediately?) and transfer from my tourist visa to a 90-day "Non-O Retirement Visa" (for which I already have THB 2.5 million in my Thai bank account, although only THB 800,000 is required); then, within the last 30 days of that 90 day visa, I can extend it for a year, renewable annually.  And with this option I won't be required to get an annual health insurance policy - although I will need a $100,000 insurance policy for COVID for the duration of my tourist visa?  Is that all correct?

All correct. Technically, you need proof that the funds originated from abroad when applying for the Non O "conversion" visa. However, most offices will waive that requirement (often very difficult to achieve years after transferring the money into Thailand) if you can show the money has been in your account for a long time.

I hope you do not run into trouble at the HCMC consulate. Sometimes, they can be resistant to offering visas to those with those with nationality from a non first world country. I would expect you could talk them round, if necessary, under current conditions.

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Note you don't need to obtain the non O (retirement) as soon as you arrive. The tourist visa stamps you in for 60 days. Obtain the non O prior to expiry of that per period.

Great.  I am much relieved to have a workable plan now.  Thanks very much!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

All correct. Technically, you need proof that the funds originated from abroad when applying for the Non O "conversion" visa. However, most offices will waive that requirement (often very difficult to achieve years after transferring the money into Thailand) if you can show the money has been in your account for a long time.  Most of the money has been there for years, both from the time I lived and worked in Thailand before coming to Vietnam as well as money that I sent there from Vietnam over the years I've been here.  And I will probably send another lump sum of several million baht there from Vietnam shortly before I leave here.   So by the time I go to Thailand, there will be a combination of money that has been there for a long time, and money that I can prove came from abroad.  That should cover me.

I hope you do not run into trouble at the HCMC consulate. Sometimes, they can be resistant to offering visas to those with those with nationality from a non first world country. I would expect you could talk them round, if necessary, under current conditions.  Thanks for the warning.  I understand.  But I haven't had trouble getting visas from them in the past, as I have a residence card here in Vietnam based on my work permit.  They did, however, require me to get an "invitation" from a Thai friend in Thailand.  I expect they will do the same again.

Thanks very much for taking the time to address my concerns.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JayBird said:

You asked for options.  One option, unpopular with these forums but viable nonetheless, is to get a Thailand elite.

It's unpopular because it can cost 1m THB for 20 years.  And that's a payment, you don't get it back.

On the plus side, very minimal paperwork and you are effectively set for 20 years.

Is a Thailand elite card available at a Thai embassy in Europe when applying the COE as a tourist? 

9 minutes ago, AlfonsV said:

Is a Thailand elite card available at a Thai embassy in Europe when applying the COE as a tourist? 

No, separate entity/application (https://www.thailandelite.com/). You can apply now, and depending on current approval timelines, have them meet you on arrival to have it entered in your passport (not sure what the deal is during covid?) or you can arrange it to be entered in your passport after arrival.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 3:16 PM, DrJack54 said:

Indeed, in the meantime you can have and enjoy a few drinks while relaxing and anticipating your very ' stressful ' retirement. ????????????

2 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

Indeed, in the meantime you can have and enjoy a few drinks while relaxing and anticipating your very ' stressful ' retirement. ????????????

Yes I'm in retirement. Personally zero stress for me in Thailand even with covid.

Spend 6-7 months each year Samet and rest Bangkok. Stress if you want. Up to you.

Yep that's me in the red T. 

Life is tough? 

image.png.20d5220aefe63e70939d8582fdfbec9d.png

Edited by ubonjoe
snipped image to fit the page better
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes I'm in retirement. Personally zero stress for me in Thailand even with covid.

Spend 6-7 months each year Samet and rest Bangkok. Stress if you want. Up to you.

Life is tough? 

Sounds great but what do you do on samet? Is the phone internet ok? 

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Life is tough?

Does my post look stressed???????????

• Confused 1