When is a panda not a panda? When it's a policeman!

rooster59

"The pump attendant asked me in good English where I was from. I responded and asked him expecting Burma to be the reply."

This paragraph reminds me of a situation maybe 20-25 years ago, on the ground level of CP tower there was a SONY service Centre. 

What was interesting was there was a big staff (M&F) who mostly sat and chatted whilst the security guard did 95%+ of the work:

- Greeting and listening customers

- Making an initial analysis of what the problem might be

- Offering various SONY services for repairs etc

- Documenting the name. tel no., etc of the owner.

- Putting the item with documents into an individual bin and into a shelf system

- Giving a nice good bye greeting to customers as they departed.

Plus:

- When the customer was a foreigner the security guard spoke good English, was respectful and helpful. I took a SONY handicam in and the young man was very helpful, good listener and he was well focused on getting the item repaired. He explained their process well and gave me a number to call in 2 weeks time. I did that and the repaired item was waiting for me to pick it up. I visited the shop, he asked me to test the camera and it worked well. He indicated that if there was any problem please come back. I paid the money (another lazy staff member was the cashier and she made it plain that all customers were a nuisance.)

About 3 or 4 months after I first noticed this situation suddenly the place had closed, all fittings and signs totally removed.

I never learned why it closed of course, but it would have been interesting to know why. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"The pump attendant asked me in good English where I was from. I responded and asked him expecting Burma to be the reply."

This paragraph reminds me of a situation maybe 20-25 years ago, on the ground level of CP tower there was a SONY service Centre. 

What was interesting was there was a big staff (M&F) who mostly sat and chatted whilst the security guard did 95%+ of the work:

- Greeting and listening customers

- Making an initial analysis of what the problem might be

- Offering various SONY services for repairs etc

- Documenting the name. tel no., etc of the owner.

- Putting the item with documents into an individual bin and into a shelf system

- Giving a nice good bye greeting to customers as they departed.

Plus:

- When the customer was a foreigner the security guard spoke good English, was respectful and helpful. I took a SONY handicam in and the young man was very helpful, good listener and he was well focused on getting the item repaired. He explained their process well and gave me a number to call in 2 weeks time. I did that and the repaired item was waiting for me to pick it up. I visited the shop, he asked me to test the camera and it worked well. He indicated that if there was any problem please come back. I paid the money (another lazy staff member was the cashier and she made it plain that all customers were a nuisance.)

About 3 or 4 months after I first noticed this situation suddenly the place had closed, all fittings and signs totally removed.

I never learned why it closed of course, but it would have been interesting to know why. 

Ptt used to have mostly Burmese working in it's drive way, but last time I was there it had swung back to more Thai, ... but our a bit more distant local Caltex, and a different new, Ptt near it ALWAYS has Burmese ??? ... 

14 hours ago, rooster59 said:

In Bangkok we were suddenly - and quite inexplicably - given back a lot of freedom.

It was not inexplicable. It was timed for the 'vote of confidence'.

Uncle Tu would say 'See (false?) numbers are coming down, we have opened up the skies and dark red zones are more open as well'.

'I AM doing a good job!.'

PS Still love your Sunday precise.

PPS Do not be surprised if the numbers start to go up again now that the vote is finished. Happy to be proved wrong.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

For quite a while about the only thing i enjoyed about this forum was that I could take a little

jab ( no, not the vaccine, thanks)  at rooster and mrs rooster and mcdonalds (really?)

the nice thing is mr R  would not go crying to his buddies that rumak was a PITA.    guess i kinda liked him for that.

Now,  i take a glance over here on sundays...... why not?     its pretty enjoyable

then,  its off again down the road to the other forum ....... and NO,  this is not an invitation for the

many blankity blank (as what's inside your head, blank)   to join me.  

From Rumak,  with Love 

57 minutes ago, rumak said:

For quite a while about the only thing i enjoyed about this forum was that I could take a little

jab ( no, not the vaccine, thanks)  at rooster and mrs rooster and mcdonalds (really?)

the nice thing is mr R  would not go crying to his buddies that rumak was a PITA.    guess i kinda liked him for that.

Now,  i take a glance over here on sundays...... why not?     its pretty enjoyable

then,  its off again down the road to the other forum ....... and NO,  this is not an invitation for the

many blankity blank (as what's inside your head, blank)   to join me.  

From Rumak,  with Love 

Rooster never thought you were a PITA bread, more like a wholesome country loaf, possibly a tad crusty but good for toast. 

You speak with forked tongue of another forum? 

Anyway, thx for coming ????

On 9/4/2021 at 7:57 PM, rooster59 said:

One of Thailand’s longest running TV variety shows truly comes of age this week. Khadee Det ("Excellent Cases" is a fair translation) started on September 9th 2000 and is required Saturday afternoon viewing on Channel 7 for millions including this columnist.

I am certain that I watched it  on Thai TV back in 1993.

Talk about that nothing changes in LOS ,I am  more certain that is the same jumper and jacket he has been wearing since then.