2 years rule to qualify?

can i get some experiences or knowledge on this,  am i correct that  you need  be in Australia for 2 years to qualify for the aged pension. eg from 65yo to 67yo

i was reading a facebook post of this guy currently living in pattaya for the last 20years saying he is coming back so he can qualify leaving his thai wife to come back to australia

Has anyone on here really had to this?  where did you work in that 2 years ? do you qualify for centrelink in that time ?

im not going into opinion except to say it has good points and bad points

Edited by georgegeorgia

20 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

am i correct that  you need  be in Australia for 2 years to qualify for the aged pension. eg from 65yo to 67yo

No. You can for example go back at 67, apply your first day back and, if meet the criteria, will receive it (backdated to the day of application) as soon as the paperwork is finalised (obviously you could head back a few weeks prior to your birthday and set the ball rolling so you get it from your birthday or a year before etc.).

The 2 years "rule" kicks in to qualify for portability i.e. the ability to receive the pension overseas. They don't want someone who has lived overseas for say a decade or two just rock up, sign the paperwork and then <deleted> off back overseas. If you are in this situation you basically convince them you are back "permanently", live in Australia, then once you are eligible for portability decide the situation has changed and the grass is greener overseas again.

Obviously there's numerous different timelines available to get an individual to their goal such as splitting the time from say 65-67 between Australia and LOS in such a way that you would still be deemed resident and the pension is deemed portable from day 1. He or she just has to decide which is best for them.

Edited by Salerno

On 9/5/2021 at 7:30 PM, georgegeorgia said:

i was reading a facebook post of this guy currently living in pattaya for the last 20years saying he is coming back so he can qualify leaving his thai wife to come back to australia

That's because he lived in Thailand for 20 years, well before he was eligible to apply for the aged pension. You need to be an Australian resident and old enough to qualify (and a few other hoops) , after you are deemed to qualify, then you can move.  Perhaps he was too busy having fun to pay attention ?

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/age-pension

The Australian Aged Pension is a little different to many countries, it's paid from general revenue and you don't make personal contributions i.e its not "yours" per se.  It's asset tested and needs based ie. if they think you have too much money or too many assets then you aren't entitled.

There is a private pension scheme called Superannuation but that's a separate thing (where you made personal contributions)

I am 54, I can't see me ever getting it. My age requirement is 67.