Fiber Optic Land Lines

lopburi3

Yesterday TOT/TN/CAT or whatever the current name is came to fix a Bangkok 02 telephone line that had not worked for several weeks.  No attempt was made to find issue - a new fiber optic line was installed with a modem attached to normal landline phone.  Guess this is the norm now and with the modem already in-place upgrade to internet easy.  

Anyone have any experience with such and quality of internet service?  Must say the Huawei GPON is really tiny but seems to have two LAN connectors as well as phone line available.  

1 hour ago, Daffy D said:

Problem with Internet phone is when the Internet or power goes down so does the phone :sad:

True but it should come back again without a service call - unlike when lease line fuse is blown in village phone box and you have to report outage and they first try to find signal lost in your home so not there problem.  Outages here in Bangkok are not common for either internet or power so don't expect that to be much of an issue for a low use home phone.

2 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Problem with Internet phone is when the Internet or power goes down so does the phone :sad:

Municipal Fiber typically doesn't use amplifiers, or any other active components, so it should theoretically be less prone to power problems.  Unless of course the power goes out at the telco building where the lines terminate.  Also, it's immune to electrical interference.  So fiber is much better in theory.

Of course you will need a fiber modem in your home and that needs power, but you could hook that up to a UPS.

Edited by shdmn

Yea! Yea! I know all that and as we hardly use the land line it was just a point I was making.

Before. with wire phone lines the power and Internet could go down but would still be able to use the phone.

Of course big advantage of fiber line you don't have to worry about lightning strike frying the phone  :biggrin:

11 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Of course big advantage of fiber line you don't have to worry about lightning strike frying the phone  :biggrin:

Our original LL (circa 1978) did not even have a ground at entry point and did lose a few phones over the years.  Gpon (Gigabit Passive Optical Network) seems to be today and a lot more flexible.   As someone from the 60wpm M-28 Teletype era today's world seems like a dream.  Some still had battery/crank phones when I was young (even 40 miles from Boston).

Original vintage magazine ad for the North Electric Co. antique wall phone. Tagline or sample ad copy: Install a telephone on your farm, your ranch, or in your country home. Publication Year: 1904… More

Edited by lopburi3

On 9/8/2021 at 8:17 AM, lopburi3 said:

No attempt was made to find issue

Look up.

Easier to string fiber - lighter, cheaper, faster, less prone to theft, future-proof.

On 9/8/2021 at 8:17 AM, lopburi3 said:

Anyone have any experience with such and quality of internet service?

Internet service on the installed fiber line should be fine. Everyone who has FTTH has the same thing.

c1_1025221_160702081710.jpg

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Our original LL (circa 1978) did not even have a ground at entry point and did lose a few phones over the years.  Gpon (Gigabit Passive Optical Network) seems to be today and a lot more flexible.   As someone from the 60wpm M-28 Teletype era today's world seems like a dream.  Some still had battery/crank phones when I was young (even 40 miles from Boston).

Original vintage magazine ad for the North Electric Co. antique wall phone. Tagline or sample ad copy: Install a telephone on your farm, your ranch, or in your country home. Publication Year: 1904… More

Ah! Those were the days.

Never worry about loosing your phone, you always knew where it was........on the wall :biggrin:

I live in western Bangkok.   Around 9 months ago our TOT landline was changed to the fiber optics setup described by the OP since TOT is doing away/removing "copper" telephone lines.  We've had zero problems with this fiber optics telephone line setup....in fact, calls are very, very clear....downtime has been zero as far as I know.....definitely better than when copper line was used.  Same monthly cost of Bt107....same as when copper line.

And for my mother-in-law in Nakorn Pathom province next door to Bangkok TOT provided a "Wifi-based" phone instead of providing a fiber optics telephone line to replace the copper telephone line.   Apparently TOT put Wifi routers on poles to cover a wire area....numerous residences. This also works good although occasionally they do need to turn the phone off and on to rest the Wifi connection.   I would estimate the up time is around 99%.    Definitely a lot fewer problems/downtime compared to the previous copper line setup.  Same monthly cost of Bt107