Is this forum going Stale

sanuk711

TBH I am finding it harder to read posts that interest me now.

So IMHO I agree with the post title. To me it is getting stale.

Worst jokes ever are OK,

There was one about the death or not of books, both hard copy and Ebooks.

The Thai visa forum is still good and useful

DIY and electrical with Crossy is still a good read

Covid is OK but has spawned a few sub threads

I can't think of much else worth reading

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Just last night I saw that an old post about the merits or otherwise of Joe Biden had been reopened, and many of the posters from the time of Trumps election and demise, are back posting. It had been opened for a while.

Not surprised they have reintroduced this because, with the exception of Covid posts which for many are boring, posting seems to have significantly decreased. Some prominent posters have gone to a different site too.  Especially those that love their conspiracy theories. 

In defence, and fairness, there are thousands of forums, message/discussion boards, blogs, etc that engage in every conceivable and particular thematic under the sun. Makes perfectly good sense, that if one is most interested and stimulated by a particular subject matter, might do themselves well to seek out a venue that "specializes" in this arena. 

Personally, I was more pleased than not when the old TVF dropped all the world related sub-forums - and subsequently, losing the same old tired characters that had little or no interests/associations with a Thailand/SE Asian-themed board. 

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

TBH I am finding it harder to read posts that interest me now.

So IMHO I agree with the post title. To me it is getting stale.

Worst jokes ever are OK,

There was one about the death or not of books, both hard copy and Ebooks.

The Thai visa forum is still good and useful

DIY and electrical with Crossy is still a good read

Covid is OK but has spawned a few sub threads

I can't think of much else worth reading

Harder to read them, or harder to find them? 

You could fit your phone up to a VGA projector, or pay a nurse to read them aloud.

Finding is not something easy to solve.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

How can this Forum become "stale'. Before, there were contributors like JSixpack, JT, Bonobo and many others that kept the Forum from going "stale". Now we have "GammaGlobulin" that keeps the forum going. May there be more "GammaGlobulin's" to join here.

PS: They come and go. I am the only one that has been here for the last 200 years.

1 hour ago, swissie said:

How can this Forum become "stale'. Before, there were contributors like JSixpack, JT, Bonobo and many others that kept the Forum from going "stale". Now we have "GammaGlobulin" that keeps the forum going. May there be more "GammaGlobulin's" to join here.

PS: They come and go. I am the only one that has been here for the last 200 years.

Many poster dont want join in "boring" post's. Even they live in LOS, they live every day life whitout feeling angry inside! Like in covid news/update, same poster's every day argue numbers etc. Argue things where they cant do nothing about! Who is intrested comment or even read bad sht every day! I have notice many poster (what i think are funny and they txt is nice to read) never comment boring stuff! Why should they? This place need more happy stuff to read and think! Not all need to be covid, corruption...... Now its come almost like BB newspaper what cant comment here, even they comment section is moving here!

17 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Sadly the World News part of the forum was discontinued. Don't know what to make of the recent "resurgence" but it's just one old thread, no new threads have been added since March 23rd.

A real shame because so much is happening around the world that affects us all. They blamed it on the cost of getting news articles posted (correct me if I'm wrong) but why can't they just let members start threads and link to articles in the international press (while following forum rules)?

For reasons that would be obvious to any that were not of the majority opinion, I'm happy it ended.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, swissie said:

Sixpack is still around.

Gamma gets attacked a lot, so I wouldn't be surprised if he gives up.

I remember when I could easily spend half a day on TVF, but these days it's more like half an hour.

Sorry, but I just don't get enthused about threads which regurgitate corona all the time, and that seems to be as exciting as it gets now.

Just don't seem to get the sort of threads that used to attract masses of comments anymore- threads about mia nois, scams, bars, sex, ladyboys, etc.

Even the long running God thread has apparently run it's course.

What is the answer? That's a hard one to answer, and may run into problems that I can't discuss on here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, shdmn said:

If they got rid of all the xenophobic posts it would be a lot better around here imo.  Too much anti-Thailand and anti-China stuff.

A very common and ugly mindset among the minions here.

Deluded Superiority Syndrome.

• Like 2

IMO it's going stale as it's repetitive and there's alot of negativity on here in general, it never ceases and nor does covid, so without daily observations, occurrences and shenanigens, it's a treble whammy.....................

• Like 2

5 hours ago, swissie said:

Well, if this is a p*ssing contest, then I've been here a lot longer than you ????  (January 2003!)

BTW, where did the member numbers go?  They used to be displayed when you hover your mouse over the name... now no more.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Well, if this is a p*ssing contest, then I've been here a lot longer than you ????  (January 2003!)

BTW, where did the member numbers go?  They used to be displayed when you hover your mouse over the name... now no more.

I remember buying  CDs for 'dial up' internet (the good ole days!) in 2002/3 while in Choeng Mon, Samui. I too was a member back then. I seem to remember it being alot less moderated and mid to late noughties it was very busy indeed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the age demographic was alot younger early noughties and for the most part British members?

30 minutes ago, bojo said:

I remember buying  CDs for 'dial up' internet (the good ole days!) in 2002/3 while in Choeng Mon, Samui. I too was a member back then. I seem to remember it being alot less moderated and mid to late noughties it was very busy indeed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the age demographic was alot younger early noughties and for the most part British members?

IMO it was more of a community back then, though there were quite a lot of rather nasty posters that liked attacking other posters. That still goes on now, though less since World News ended, IMO.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

For reasons that would be obvious to any that were not of the majority opinion, I'm happy it ended.

As was I. I believe there was a quite majority that might be in agreement. 

The blow back was the loss of players that never contributed toward anything local anyway. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Saltire said:

I agree with the OP 100%.

It is also very slow on even the most topical threads, and is obvious on the 'polls' - not many here now?

I would also add there are some former, frequent posters conspicuous by their recent absence, won't name names but I fear they have jumped ship to an alternate forum and not told us ????

I am telling you.      This forum  deleted deleted  and also let me say deleted deleted .

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sorry TBL---Its not so obvious to me, You mean your happy that all world news ended , because you were not in the majority opinion ?

If you mean that you had insults posted to you about your opinion--- those sort of people --Keyboard warrior don't go away with the world news---I have been called a senile old clown when discussing the price of Cheese in Thailand.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So you didn't like the forum but participated frequently. Tell me, what exactly prevented you from just staying away completely if you didn't like it?

It's like saying "I don't like beer so no one should be allowed to drink it!" Very mature, indeed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Sorry TBL---Its not so obvious to me, You mean your happy that all world news ended , because you were not in the majority opinion ?

If you mean that you had insults posted to you about your opinion--- those sort of people --Keyboard warrior don't go away with the world news---I have been called a senile old clown when discussing the price of Cheese in Thailand.

I'm happy it ended. In the months before it did, I stopped posting on World News because of the vitriol that was said against myself and anyone that supported a contrary opinion to the majority. In the end all it was IMO was a group posting amongst themselves.

I'm not saying that I was happy about it closing because I was not in the majority, but it would have been nice to be able to post an opinion without being insulted for it. I guess we had cancel culture before it was a common thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thank you for posting an example of the sort of thing that made the problem in the first place.

You may not have noticed, but the thread isn't about me, and I'm entitled to post my opinions without being criticized for doing so by other posters.

That is against forum rules.

Which rule would that be? 

Oh, and I've never seen anyone criticized for posting, only for the contents of their posts.

Edited by Phoenix Rising
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm happy it ended. In the months before it did, I stopped posting on World News because of the vitriol that was said against myself and anyone that supported a contrary opinion to the majority. In the end all it was IMO was a group posting amongst themselves.

I'm not saying that I was happy about it closing because I was not in the majority, but it would have been nice to be able to post an opinion without being insulted for it. 

If someone posts something that's contrary to your opinions and you let that actually insult you then it definitively isn't the forum that has a problem.