Worldwide Recovery Statistics.

NoshowJones

I don't think you can get any statistics for the average time it takes world wide for a complete recovery from this virus, so let's just make it an opinion.

How long would you say, either in general or for certain age groups. If it was a normal flu in a western country, then I think probably about two weeks.

You could also see it another way, just say the average person with no health issues. Remember I am talking about world wide, not just one country.

Everyone I know who’s had covid was over it in less than a week. Most in 2 or 3 days. I don’t know anyone who was hospitalized, or died, or ended up with long covid after the fact. 

I’m not saying that covid isn’t dangerous, or that it hasn’t killed people who appeared to be healthy, I’m just describing what I’ve seen within my own circle. 

You’d be amazed how many people refuse to believe me when I say this, and assume that I’m lying to promote an agenda. It’s interesting how upset some people get when you tell them that someone shrugged covid off like a mild cold.
A lot of people still believe that covid kills 10% of those who get it. Even more seem to believe that vast numbers of children are dying. 

It's very different from person to person.

I had several fellow coworkes who had Covid 19.

Some almost didn't noticed they had it, but some were hospitalized and 6 months later still struggles with after effects from covid 19

and haven't gained full lung capacity yet.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ryan754326 said:

Everyone I know who’s had covid was over it in less than a week. Most in 2 or 3 days. I don’t know anyone who was hospitalized, or died, or ended up with long covid after the fact. 

I’m not saying that covid isn’t dangerous, or that it hasn’t killed people who appeared to be healthy, I’m just describing what I’ve seen within my own circle. 

You’d be amazed how many people refuse to believe me when I say this, and assume that I’m lying to promote an agenda. It’s interesting how upset some people get when you tell them that someone shrugged covid off like a mild cold.
A lot of people still believe that covid kills 10% of those who get it. Even more seem to believe that vast numbers of children are dying. 

Your observations don’t surprise me in the least and I certainly would not call you a liar.

However, your posting history is replete with downplaying the risks from COVID.

That you draw your conclusions from personal experience of not having seen COVID causing serious illness, long term illness or death is not in anyway a surprise.

That you go further and disparage the ever growing body of science and COVID case data that contradicts your views presents a big question mark over your statement above.

That’s not to say it’s a lie, rather it’s anecdotal from a limited view and contradictory to the growing body of science and case data.

• Like 1

Living here in south Surin I know noone who has had the CV: not in my Khmer peasant family (31 immediate members, almost all living in one village), nor in the shopkeepers we frequent here in Prasat.

Nor amongst my own original Kiwi family, nor amongst my friends in Oz.

13 hours ago, Ryan754326 said:

The question is what exactly are you saying?

You have not been very precise.

How many is everyone? 1? 5? 10?

That makes a difference; sample size right?

Were they verified to have COVID by testing?

There are those who say "I had COVID and I shrugged it off like a mild cold".

But without being tested for COVID, Bill from Ockham would say it was most likely a mild cold.

Re-stating: If someone got sick and shrugged it off like a mild cold, barring other evidence, it was probably a mild cold.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cdemundo said:

The question is what exactly are you saying?

You have not been very precise.

How many is everyone? 1? 5? 10?

That makes a difference; sample size right?

Were they verified to have COVID by testing?

There are those who say "I had COVID and I shrugged it off like a mild cold".

But without being tested for COVID, Bill from Ockham would say it was most likely a mild cold.

Re-stating: If someone got sick and shrugged it off like a mild cold, barring other evidence, it was probably a mild cold.

I would guess that I’ve personally spoken to 20 or so people who have had a confirmed case of covid. I live with co-workers, and three of the five people living in our house tested positive last Christmas. Me and one other had no symptoms, so we were never tested - just told to quarantine for two weeks, and report any symptoms if they arose. 

I work at a mining operation, and at any given time there are thousands of people working on site. Every employee is tested every 72 hours. 
The mine did a maintenance shutdown last spring, and thousands more workers were brought in, and put into camps. Predictably, there was a major outbreak, and the shutdown had to be scaled back, but at one point, about 10% of the tests were said to be coming back positive. 
Things have calmed down now, but during that time, my company was losing a few employees a week due to either a positive case, or close contact with a positive case (we spend a lot of time on crew buses).
The city nearby was overrun with covid for a few months during late winter/early spring, so anyone you talk to will know a few people who have had covid, or will have had it themselves. 

I’ve talked to plenty more people around here who believe that they had covid at some point, but like you, I disregard any stories that weren’t confirmed by a positive test. 

Here is an article from last April, describing the situation that we were in. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/canada/alberta/article-fort-mcmurray-declares-state-of-emergency-as-covid-19-cases-rise/

Edited by Ryan754326

18 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Your observations don’t surprise me in the least and I certainly would not call you a liar.

However, your posting history is replete with downplaying the risks from COVID.

That you draw your conclusions from personal experience of not having seen COVID causing serious illness, long term illness or death is not in anyway a surprise.

That you go further and disparage the ever growing body of science and COVID case data that contradicts your views presents a big question mark over your statement above.

That’s not to say it’s a lie, rather it’s anecdotal from a limited view and contradictory to the growing body of science and case data.

Maybe I’m downplaying covid, but I could argue that the government and media has played it up a fair bit, and I think many people would agree with me. I live in an area that was hit hard by covid, so people here have first hand experience with it, and most of us don’t feel like what we see in the media reflects what we see in our day-to-day lives. 
When people see politicians who are forcing small businesses to stay closed, and then going out to private dinners with their rich friends, they begin to wonder why those politicians don’t appear to be very worried for their own safety.
When people see the stats showing that the majority of those dying are older than the average life expectancy, they begin to wonder why young, healthy people are being forced to live under the same restrictions as those who are actually at high risk.
When people have recovered from covid without any serious complications, but have lost their job or their business due to shutdowns, they start to wonder if the cure is worse than the disease. 

I don’t meet very many people who deny that covid can be very deadly to certain groups of people, but I think we have to be more honest about who these people are, and stop with the one size fits all approach. 

I’ve never said that the initial restrictions were unjustified, but at this point, where I live, vaccines are available to anyone who wants them, so I think it’s time that we learn to live with this virus and move on. I do understand that the situation is different in Thailand and other countries, where vaccines are not yet widely available, but once they are, things should be opened up. Let those who refuse the vaccine live, or possibly die, with their decision. 

1 hour ago, Ryan754326 said:

Maybe I’m downplaying covid, but I could argue that the government and media has played it up a fair bit, and I think many people would agree with me. I live in an area that was hit hard by covid, so people here have first hand experience with it, and most of us don’t feel like what we see in the media reflects what we see in our day-to-day lives. 
When people see politicians who are forcing small businesses to stay closed, and then going out to private dinners with their rich friends, they begin to wonder why those politicians don’t appear to be very worried for their own safety.
When people see the stats showing that the majority of those dying are older than the average life expectancy, they begin to wonder why young, healthy people are being forced to live under the same restrictions as those who are actually at high risk.
When people have recovered from covid without any serious complications, but have lost their job or their business due to shutdowns, they start to wonder if the cure is worse than the disease. 

I don’t meet very many people who deny that covid can be very deadly to certain groups of people, but I think we have to be more honest about who these people are, and stop with the one size fits all approach. 

I’ve never said that the initial restrictions were unjustified, but at this point, where I live, vaccines are available to anyone who wants them, so I think it’s time that we learn to live with this virus and move on. I do understand that the situation is different in Thailand and other countries, where vaccines are not yet widely available, but once they are, things should be opened up. Let those who refuse the vaccine live, or possibly die, with their decision. 

You do a lot of talking for other ‘people’.

If one was to replace ‘people’ in the above with ‘I’ then I believe we’d arrive at your personal views.

It might also explain why, as you have recognized, people might think you are speaking from an agenda.

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You do a lot of talking for other ‘people’.

If one was to replace ‘people’ in the above with ‘I’ then I believe we’d arrive at your personal views.

It might also explain why, as you have recognized, people might think you are speaking from an agenda.

I’m just telling you what other people tell me, and I don’t feel like I live in an echo chamber either, I associate with a fairly diverse group of people. 

Are you living in Thailand at the moment? How do the Thais that you interact with feel about the covid situation? I know that the ones I keep in contact with stopped worrying about catching covid a long time ago. Now they’re just worried about where their next meal will come from. 

I often hear the word “selfish” being used to describe anyone who thinks that their life and livelihood are more important than staying home and waiting for covid to disappear. Does it ever occur to the people making these criticisms that maybe it’s them who are being selfish, by expecting the rest of society to put their lives on hold in order to keep the minority of those at serious risk safe? 

I don’t know what the consensus is in your social circle, but for me, it’s extremely rare to meet someone who isn’t just tired of it all, and more than willing to take their chances with covid if it means getting their lives back. Even my 86 year old Grandmother has had enough of it all. 

Edited by Ryan754326

1 hour ago, Ryan754326 said:

I’m just telling you what other people tell me, and I don’t feel like I live in an echo chamber either, I associate with a fairly diverse group of people. 

Are you living in Thailand at the moment? How do the Thais that you interact with feel about the covid situation? I know that the ones I keep in contact with stopped worrying about catching covid a long time ago. Now they’re just worried about where their next meal will come from. 

I often hear the word “selfish” being used to describe anyone who thinks that their life and livelihood are more important than staying home and waiting for covid to disappear. Does it ever occur to the people making these criticisms that maybe it’s them who are being selfish, by expecting the rest of society to put their lives on hold in order to keep the minority of those at serious risk safe? 

I don’t know what the consensus is in your social circle, but for me, it’s extremely rare to meet someone who isn’t just tired of it all, and more than willing to take their chances with covid if it means getting their lives back. Even my 86 year old Grandmother has had enough of it all. 

Yes I’m living in Thailand, I suspect that when you say ‘the ones I keep in contact with’ you are not in Thailand and that your ‘keeping in contact with is not face to face discussion.

My views on what Thai people think are not simply gathered from what Thai people in my social circle tell me. I’ve been speaking Thai for over thirty years I don’t just listen to what Thai associates tell me (which might be what they think I want to hear) I also overhear what complete strangers are talking about.

I don’t here any of what you say Thai people tell you.

In the context of COVID the most frequent subject I hear being discussed is vaccines, more specifically the slow progress on vaccine roll out.

Since the start of this public health emergency I have only come across one Thai person not willing to be vaccinated, she was scared but wound up being vaccinated when her children talked her into it.

Amongst the Thai people I know and those I overhear most want an end to the lockdowns but they want their vaccine so the lockdowns can end. (refer Denmark as an example).

What is absolutely and transparently obvious is Thai people are very supportive of measures to protect public health. No me me me going on.

Regarding ‘selfishness’.

Funny you should mention that, it hadn’t entered my mind.

7 hours ago, Ryan754326 said:

I would guess that I’ve personally spoken to 20 or so people who have had a confirmed case of covid. I live with co-workers, and three of the five people living in our house tested positive last Christmas. Me and one other had no symptoms, so we were never tested - just told to quarantine for two weeks, and report any symptoms if they arose. 

I work at a mining operation, and at any given time there are thousands of people working on site. Every employee is tested every 72 hours. 
The mine did a maintenance shutdown last spring, and thousands more workers were brought in, and put into camps. Predictably, there was a major outbreak, and the shutdown had to be scaled back, but at one point, about 10% of the tests were said to be coming back positive. 
Things have calmed down now, but during that time, my company was losing a few employees a week due to either a positive case, or close contact with a positive case (we spend a lot of time on crew buses).
The city nearby was overrun with covid for a few months during late winter/early spring, so anyone you talk to will know a few people who have had covid, or will have had it themselves. 

I’ve talked to plenty more people around here who believe that they had covid at some point, but like you, I disregard any stories that weren’t confirmed by a positive test. 

Here is an article from last April, describing the situation that we were in. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/canada/alberta/article-fort-mcmurray-declares-state-of-emergency-as-covid-19-cases-rise/

Wow, your experience is compelling.

You have seen a lot of people who had a quick recovery from COVID.

You must be at risk every day.

Even though my city is a hot spot I have known very few people with Covid exposures compared to you.

My experience of those I have known has been a variety of experiences, some like your experience with minimal reserves and ranging to some who sadly have died after long struggle.

"If it was a normal flu in a western country, then I think probably about two weeks."

How are you defining recovery? With flu (actual influenza, not a simple cold) symptoms usually last about one week, though you may feel tired for a while after that, as with any illness, but it can still leave you with long term or even permanent organ damage. It's also implicated as an eventual factor in Alzheimer's. Are people who are suffering no immediate symptoms recovered if, 10 years down the line, it causes a heart attack that they wouldn't have had otherwise?  There was a study in Nature a few years ago that tracked people who had had H7N9 flu. The majority had returned to work by the 6 month check, but after 2 years, 65% of them still had lung damage that was likely to be permanent at that point. Had they recovered?

We know COVID is doing more short term damage to more organs than the flu does. We know it causes more neurological symptoms than flu does. We know more people are struggling with medium term effects (long COVID) than we see with the flu. But we have no idea what the long term effects will be yet.