Can a guy with Tourist Visa buy a scooter and transfer Green book etc in his name?

truthfix

Documents required for buying a new motorbike from a dealer

Dealers will take care of the registration process.  So you only need supply:

A copy of your passport main page, current visa stamp, and departure card (TM card)

A Certificate of Residence.  This is issued by your local immigration office.  It confirms your address in Thailand.  Or for people working in Thailand, a copy of your Work Permit – all the pages – , can be used instead providing it shows your address. Alternatively, an affidavit of address, issued by your Embassy in Thailand can be used.  Although this is often quite expensive to obtain.

A Certificate of Residence is generally not issued to tourist visa holders.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, truthfix said:

I've looked into the specifics of what documents are required to do so, just wondering if there might be an issue having a tourist visa here etc?

Well it would be why would a tourist buy a scooter when you can hire one.

18 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

Not true at all, can even get one on a visa exempt. I bought a bike with a tourist visa.

A couple years ago they changed the rule at Immigration where you had to show purchase invoice before being issued with a residence certificate, daft I know. I would get a certificate and just say it's for a licence and give to motorbike shop

• Like 2

It will come down to your local immigration office and local DLT. As mentioned people do do it, but depending on local offices, you may not get a Res cert on a tourist visa, and local DLT may not do license or vehicle transfer with a tourist visa.

The main expat locations probably ok, but may be different at an out of the way IO, DLT.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

Documents required for buying a new motorbike from a dealer

Dealers will take care of the registration process.  So you only need supply:

A copy of your passport main page, current visa stamp, and departure card (TM card)

A Certificate of Residence.  This is issued by your local immigration office.  It confirms your address in Thailand.  Or for people working in Thailand, a copy of your Work Permit – all the pages – , can be used instead providing it shows your address. Alternatively, an affidavit of address, issued by your Embassy in Thailand can be used.  Although this is often quite expensive to obtain.

Thank you for the info, if there was an issue obtaining the COResidence w/ the TVisa and I have green book and copies of previous owners id card etc, when it's time to sell would there be an issue?

35 minutes ago, truthfix said:

As we all know tourists can stay longer term here with visa extensions and to hire a bike is costly long term.

This dam phone keep changing what you type.

I thought at this time with a tourist visa you can go get a O visa at immigration because you can't go out Thailand and come in easily.

Just realized you are OP so you could buy a girlfriend a S/H bike and put it in her name then. 

Save a lot of grief.

Edited by Kwasaki

23 minutes ago, truthfix said:

Thank you for the info, if there was an issue obtaining the COResidence w/ the TVisa and I have green book and copies of previous owners id card etc, when it's time to sell would there be an issue?

No issue to sell to a Thai.

54 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not true at all, can even get one on a visa exempt. I bought a bike with a tourist visa.

A couple years ago they changed the rule at Immigration where you had to show purchase invoice before being issued with a residence certificate, daft I know. I would get a certificate and just say it's for a licence and give to motorbike shop

Edited by DrJoy

21 minutes ago, truthfix said:

Of course there would be an issue, you cant sell something you dont own.

The seller signs a document authorising transfer to you, not transfer to anyone 5 years later.

You are the new owner when your name is in the greenbook, not just possession of the green book.

2 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

No issue to sell to a Thai.

He cant sell it to a thai, or anyone else if his name isnt in the green book as the owner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, truthfix said:

Where are you based? easy to get residence certificate at Jomtien