Quarantine requirements

Hi All,

My first post I hope someone can help me.

My wife is currently in Thailand and we are in the process of completing her spouse visa, My question is because Thailand is now on the red list will she have to quarantine in a designated hotel or can she quarantine at my house?

Thanks in advance

54 minutes ago, Allanp1968 said:

Hi All,

My first post I hope someone can help me.

My wife is currently in Thailand and we are in the process of completing her spouse visa, My question is because Thailand is now on the red list will she have to quarantine in a designated hotel or can she quarantine at my house?

Thanks in advance

What nationality is she? As far as I know, only British Nationals can enter UK at the moment, and with 10 days quarantine at an official quarantine hotel facility.

Edited by samtam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, until Thailand is removed from the Red List your wife will not be allowed to enter, or travel, to the UK.

Visas are currently not being processed.

The conditions for entering the UK will depend on the rules in force when she’s able to travel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Visas are being processed at the moment, just not visitor visas. Was at VFS Bangkok the other day and there were lots of students and quite a few spouse visas applications. If she gets her spouse visa then she will be able to travel to the UK but will have to quarantine on arrival in a hotel (if Thailand is still on the red list when that time comes). Those with 'residency rights' can travel and I believe that spouse visa gives her that. Happy to be corrected on this but that's my understanding. 

19 minutes ago, JB2831 said:

Those with 'residency rights' can travel and I believe that spouse visa gives her that. Happy to be corrected on this but that's my understanding. 

What was the source of your belief that holders of a "spouse visa" allows entry into the UK from a Red list Country?

The advice from the UKBA, whilst unclear, doesn't seem to imply that is the case.

Right to reside

‘Right to reside’ means you have the right to live in the UK.

You have a right to reside in the UK if any of the following is true:

https://www.gov.uk/right-to-reside

Thank you for the clarification regarding the processing of applications.

21 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

What was the source of your belief that holders of a "spouse visa" allows entry into the UK from a Red list Country?

The advice from the UKBA, whilst unclear, doesn't seem to imply that is the case.

Right to reside

‘Right to reside’ means you have the right to live in the UK.

You have a right to reside in the UK if any of the following is true:

https://www.gov.uk/right-to-reside

Thank you for the clarification regarding the processing of applications.

To be honest, I don't have a source as such. Based more on what others have said in other forums (which admittedly is not always that reliable). As you said, it isn't clear from that advice from UKBA. Also, the advice there doesn't cover students but there are definitely students right now in hotel managed quarantine in the UK. As usual trying to get a definitive answer from anyone official is pretty much impossible. 

I am with The Old Git on this one. You need at least ILR to get into the UK at the moment as a non-UK national. However you appear to be correct that students can enter the UK with a student Visa subject to fulfilling the appropriate quarantine. I am not quite sure why that should be the case but it is I think.