Car accident situation

problemfarang

If you're fully insured there won't, or shouldn't, be problem.

After the accident, if its bad, call your insurance immediately.  They'll have someone there within the hour- maybe sooner.

They'll do the talking (negotiating).

Like in any country dont admit fault even if it is your fault.  

Say as little as needed.  

If no ones seriously injured count your blessings.

It should be painless.

Good insurance will include a rental while your car is repaired.

Best advice, don't drink and drive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Like anything else in Thailand nobody can say exactly what will happen. All depends on the police.

Most police are ok and easy going (although corrupt), some have power trips and some are just ruthless.

Best to make sure you are legal to drive. Driving license, insurance. Dash cams could be good or bad, it shows mostly what happens so if youre at fault.....

In all my years living in Thailand I've had two accidents. Frist one I was borrowing a friends car. My fault raining on a steel bridge I couldn't stop in time. The person I hit were ok and they called their insurance company,  I called my friend who called her insurance. I never spoke to the police other than when asking me to move the car. The insurance guy handled everything with the other insurance company and the police. Very easy experience. 

Second time was with my truck. a drunk guy hit the side of truck with his motorbike. An off duty cop stopped. The guy that hit me started saying i was at fault and I need to pay to fix his bike. The off duty cop talked to the guy that reeked of alcohol and told me that the guy had no insurance. I told him the damage to my truck was minor(ended up costing 3,000B) so I didn't care. The cop told the guy that if he didn't want to go to jail for drunk driving he should shut up and go home now and that was the end of it. 

Both of those examples could have gone different ways if I ran into a really corrupt cop that needs money that day or if the other person was looking for an opportunity. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Maybe I misread your country doesn’t allow someone else driving others cars? 

yep, only the person who has the name on the car register can drive. if the police catches you they call the owner to the spot and ask the owner to take the car. And they give a ticket to you. This is for safety reasons. Imagine someone is driving your car and involved into a hit and run.. who the police will first come? And how can you prove that you were not driving the car. 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Our cheap car - 500,000 THB per person 10,000,000 THB per accident

And that is only Second Class Plus

And First Class it's 1 million baht per person, which is the often used amount for fatal compensation. So with Second Class insurance, who then pays the extra 500,000 baht?

And in general, what if the somebody raise a higher claim for compensation than the insurance covers, or what in case of the total accident amount is more than insured maximum?

Also remember to check the driver + passenger sums for the car, they might not covered under the liability insurance, in my First Class insurances it's separate specified.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, problemfarang said:

what are you on? too much yaa bha?

dude, in my country only the person whose name on the registration of the car can drive. If you drive someone else's car you must pay fee and police park at the spot they caught you till the owner of the car comes. its a law. I do believe this is also kind of same law in the UK too.  which part of this BS and why all my post is idiotic? I think everyone sees whos the BSer here, troll and idiotic.. 

Please send link ? I traveled and used people cars all over the world, but never heard about such law which for sure doesn't exist in UK. Knowing how people understand nothing on this forum I wouldn't be surprised that you are wrong. It seems so ridiculous.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, problemfarang said:

yep, only the person who has the name on the car register can drive. if the police catches you they call the owner to the spot and ask the owner to take the car. And they give a ticket to you. This is for safety reasons. Imagine someone is driving your car and involved into a hit and run.. who the police will first come? And how can you prove that you were not driving the car. 

so if what you say is true, the rest of the world where anybody can drive any car is wrong ? don't you feel ridiculous ?!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In the UK the vast majority of Insurance Policies are ‘named driver(s)’ only. 

If anyone else wishes to drive the car an additional premium is required. 

Or, an ‘any driver’ policy is a lot more expensive such that the cost is prohibitive. 

It is of course against the law to drive. Vehicle while uninsured & if driving a car which is covered under a ‘named driver’ policy and you are not one of those named drivers, you are indeed breaking the law. 

Just as as I said, it's CLEARLY NOT AGAINST LAW to drive somebody else car, just as anywhere in the world, if you drive it, you must be insured, but there is of course NOWHERE IN THE WORLD (except maybe North Korea?) where you can drive someone else car if you are not insured.

So ridiculous to even think that it's possible.

And no, multi drivers insurances is not so expensive except if you are really poor, but then you should not own a car.

Edited by thailanddogerator
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

And First Class it's 1 million baht per person, which is the often used amount for fatal compensation. So with Second Class insurance, who then pays the extra 500,000 baht?

And in general, what if the somebody raise a higher claim for compensation than the insurance covers, or what in case of the total accident amount is more than insured maximum?

Also remember to check the driver + passenger sums for the car, they might not covered under the liability insurance, in my First Class insurances it's separate specified.

In that case the person could be taken to court for the extra. 

i.e. IF I crash into a 30 million baht Ferrari, the accident is unequivocally my fault and my 1st class insurance covers me for 10 million baht 3rd party damages (I’m not sure if the exact amount) - I can be taken to court for the remainder. 

But, if I’m not mistaken ‘negligence’ would have to be proven & that’s very difficult. 

It’s definitely a very tricky ‘what if’ area. 
Ultimately l, you’d have to hope that an expense car has its own cover (although in Thailand, that’s not always the case!) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, thailanddogerator said:

Just as as I said, it's CLEARNY NOT against the LAW to drive somebody else car, just as anywhere in the world, if you drive it, you must be insured, but there is of course NOWHERE in the world where you can drive someone else car if you are not insured. So ridiculous to even think that it's possible.

That’s a very special skill.

Arguing with me while agreeing with everything I wrote !!! ????

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

As mentioned some cannot get 1st class insurance.

Can get 1st insurance on my truck but cannot get on my scoot or my bike because the insurance companies here are weird. 

I have 1. class insurance on my Honda Click, but only cover for damage on 3. party, medical for me and 3. party and bail bond. And have had that from new and for more than 8 years now.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, perconrad said:

I have 1. class insurance on my Honda Click, but only cover for damage on 3. party, medical for me and 3. party and bail bond. And have had that from new and for more than 8 years now.

No doubt you have but insurance companies won't insure you like they will in the west, that my point. 

Doesn't matter how old the vehicle is you can full comp in the west but not Thailand. 

I don't want to buy new just to get 1st class insurance that's why think Thai insurance companies are weird. 

My truck 1st insurance and OK at moment. 

On my 28 year old big bike and my 15 year old Airblade I make do with CTPL.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nonsense.

Correction posted here 10am yesterday, well before above unwelcome rude remark, rather typical of  your usual negative insulting language here……..

Actually nobody cares to be confronted here, on every post, with where members come from, especially that city, which reputation elsewhere in UK , inc. spell as a “ EU City of Culture ” (withdrawn)  and “boycotting” the Sun newspaper, is of course a complete joke, apart from the Merseybeat phenom, LFC & Hillsborough aside. Wherein the entire city identity & pride is forever tearfully invested.

Otherwise there is the National Giro ( Welfare Benefits) Centre ( how fitting indeed) , four generations of same- family Welfare Claimants, national reputation for work ( pronounced “weerk” for some reason) shyness & thievery. World ( pronounced “ weeeerlld” of course) Capital of Self Pity indeed……went there  (Bootle) once for a business meeting….heard about a one-punch road rage incident , same day nearby, witnessed by my colleague……continually invisible & irrelevant ( LFC aside) place.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thailanddogerator said:

so if what you say is true, the rest of the world where anybody can drive any car is wrong ? don't you feel ridiculous ?!

Where did i say its wrong or else... i just asked if its ok to drive someone's car or not when you get involved to an accident... you drunk?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thailanddogerator said:

Please send link ? I traveled and used people cars all over the world, but never heard about such law which for sure doesn't exist in UK. Knowing how people understand nothing on this forum I wouldn't be surprised that you are wrong. It seems so ridiculous.

I might be wrong about the uk. Sorry about that. But yes in my country its not allowed. Well, the thing is if you give your car to someone and if he hit and run, how can you prove that it was not you who was not driving that?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nonsense.

Correction posted here 10am yesterday, well before above unwelcome rude remark, rather typical of  your usual negative insulting language here……..

I know now, but as I don't read any thread in it's entirety before making a comment (just as most people don't), I didn't know at the time.

It may have been "unwelcome" in your eyes, why, I don't know, it was 100% accurate, wasn't it? 

It was not rude, either, it was a statement of fact and I did not use any insulting language, if you think I did, then report my post.   

Odd how my posts are only rated "negative" or "insulting" when they are in disagreement with other posters, eh?   Alternative opinions, or facts, come to that, are not insults, neither are they negative, if you wrongly construe them that way, that's your prerogative and, therefore, your problem.

• Haha 1

fair enough lou, but if substituting “motocycle” for “vehicle” might that not fly ? so not complete ns…
my insurance broker expert told me no first class insurance available for my now 7 uear old MC.

no members here have said different. my car was privately bought when already over the apparent 15 years old 1st class Car Insurance threshold. btw you could still consider changing you name here….

he he just messin’ witcha ….. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, problemfarang said:

I might be wrong about the uk. Sorry about that. But yes in my country its not allowed. Well, the thing is if you give your car to someone and if he hit and run, how can you prove that it was not you who was not driving that?

you are so sure about your country laws that you never tell where you come from.

Maybe scare to discover that you are so wrong ? how could a law make it forbidden to drive someone else car when correctly insured ? it seems impossible and I am sure it is.

• Thanks 1