Xenophobic behavior/behaviour

Confuscious

40 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Really - some people are so unfamiliar with the general indifference Thai’s treat each other that when they too are treated with equal indifference they get upset.

I agree. It is so bad in fact one can call it outright inconsiderateness. Their exquisite politeness sometimes masks this hardcore inconsiderateness which you only discover naked and full if you drive on Thai roads.

Thais are not xenophobic in the slightest, as evidenced by the fact they do not stone foreigners to death who steal their women and behave like entitled drunk hooligans in their country.

Thais think they are better than others, It is one of the small amusements of life that every nation thinks it is better than any other, from the Bahamas to China to the USA to the UK to Japan to Spain. There are no exceptions to this rule I suspect. But xenophobia definitely not a problem in the LOS.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

So you just quoted everything that is wrong with the US. lol Yet there are murders everyday related to racial profiling in the US. Most western countries are a bloody mess. Perhaps fix up your own back yard first. 

I do not have the numbers but I do not doubt that there are plenty of cases everywhere although….1) i don’t think that they make up the majority of the crimes as, mostly, the hate crimes are largely publicised in comparison 2) the behaviour depicted in the OP takes its roots in racism / superiority or simply in taking advantage of an intolerable situation

sorry but can you define what is my own backyard as I fail to see how this is related 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Silly and stupid at the highest grade.

"Silly and stupid at the highest grade." --  Sorry to be impolite but seems to just about sum your posting.

Why not stop with this silly Thai Baiting stuff........

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Racism is not something one sees, although actions speak louder than words as they say. My wife even tells me that Thai's don't like farangs, however they tolerate us.

We could argue about this for a lifetime, I have never seen racism from Thai's with or without my yellow book, pink ID etc, however I know they tolerate us, I could go on and say some teachers even put us down to their students, noting that both of our daughters have asked why and even one teacher calling our EuroAsian daughter something that should never been said in a school or to a child, this was a private school, and that teacher was removed for his comment when we brought it to the attention of the principal.

Well you can now delete the teacher, her family, friends and all with which she encounters along with Thais who might happen upon this from the tolerate Farang list and add them to the despise Farang list. That's what happens when guests give unwanted  advise about how things are done back home. For me personally dealing with foreigners here in TH is the biggest single problem I endure living here. I come on here just to keep my immunity at peak level so as to be able to deal with these caustic foreigners.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Everybody can get a vaccination, but the vaccination card is ONLY available to Thai people with a 13-digit number on their ID-Card.

Not true, I didn't have a 13 digit number but I've been vaccinated, as has my wife who also didn't have one.

But we have no so maybe it will be useful in the future.

23 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

I did it with tax card that has an ID number on it,

I tried with my tax card number and it wasn't accepted.

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Very true, Thais don't generally like foreigners. Actually, many foreigners here don't really like foreigners. Kinda screwed up, many think that all Thais like them and don't know there are names for 13 different Thai smiles. 

It's not that complicated: most foreigners don't like other foreigners, most foreigners don't like Thais and most Thais don't like foreigners.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, alyx said:

Uncalled for. Hopefully pun intended. You do condone double pricing ? Heard of BLM and Asian hate ? In other countries it is called racial profiling. This behaviour is definitely not acceptable and has nothing to do with one's citizenship...but what would you know ? 

In many countries, racial profiling is quite acceptable... that's life.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, simon43 said:

In many countries, racial profiling is quite acceptable... that's life.

Acceptable? no, it is not acceptable but it is true that it is life

As a matter of fact we let reprehensible behaviours go by, out of fear, boredom or just because it is so inherent to our society that we do not pay attention or even see it...until we are directly a victim, at different levels of course. As a foreigner, having lived in numerous countries I have felt different, obviously, but in a positive way most of the time and although I have been privileged I can relate to those "unacceptable" situations

• Like 2

Xenophobia exists in Thailand just as it does in ALL countries.

But there is a cliche used by racist that basically goes 'THEY can be racist too"

A silly comment as they ae firstly admitting to be racist themselves and showing that they don't understand how racism works.

....the idea though is that charging others with similar failings justifies their own shortcomings. in fact it isn't the same thing.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

‘Come on... you know better than to let balanced facts get in the way of a little ‘victim blaming and accusations of xenophobia’ !!!... 

Really - some people are so unfamiliar with the general indifference Thai’s treat each other that when they too are treated with equal indifference they get upset. 

Thai’s tend to be very ‘insular’ they have their ‘sphere of influence/importance’ anyone outside of this sphere, Thai or foreign, simply does not register - the reality is most people are like this.

When it comes to government policy, this ‘sphere’ continues, its not that Thai’s in positions of decision making power are xenophobic towards foreigners, its that we are so far out of their scope there is nothing other than indifference (which is neither a negative or a positive). 

This sounds like an excellent explanation. It would explain most of the perceived xenophobic incidents. However, I'm convinced there are germs of genuine xenophobia somewhere in the Thai mindset. When someone, earlier and here above (can't remember who) quoted his wife saying Thais don't like foreigners, I think there is truth in it.

I hardly ever saw Thais being indifferent to the point of being unpleasant towards other Thais, even when they do not know each other. On the contrary, they tend to be very pleasant to each other most of the time.

But a number of times, looks of disgust and contempt towards foreigners, yes. If that is not obvious, remember: if Thais only appear indifferent, they are masters in not showing what they think or feel on their faces. Their "indifference" is often much more than that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Saltire said:

Easier said than done.

3 years ago and 2 years ago i asked at the local amphur for yellow book/ and pink ID. both times told both times, 'cannot, for migrant only, farang no'.

I live in a migrant area i see agents with stacks of books and cards mostly for Myanmar but not for me.

It's always a post code lottery with stuff like this.

You're not the first to be brushed off.

You probably can get a Yellow Book, but have accepted the ‘cannot’ - they are probably too lazy to do it, or just don’t know and misunderstand the regulations. 

If you really want the Yellow Book, press the issue politely.

------

While renewing her ID at the local Amphur Office (because we’d moved), I asked my Wife to enquire about the Yellow Book. She was told that a foreigner cannot get it (which is the information my Wife returned to me with). I told my wife the Amphur officer was either lazy, or did not know.

My Wife called up the Amphur, spoke with the officer, after some discussion my Wife was informed that ‘my Visa does not exist’ !!!!  which is a very strange claim from the Amphur Officer.  My Wife asked to speak with the officers supervisor, things then changed. 

We were given an appointment (4 weeks away), my Wife was provided with a list of requirements (MFA verified translation of Embassy Certified Copy of my Passport amongst other normal requirements for the yellow book). 

On the day, the Amphur officer was very polite and friendly, the paper work was onerous (for her), it took her perhaps 1.5 hours to go through everything. 

I could understand why some don’t want to go through that - nevertheless, it is something an Amphur Officer ‘cannot’ say no to. 

IF the Amphur Office says no to the request for a Yellow Book, there is another office at which a complaint can be made and the issue can be pressed (I’ve forgotten the name of this office, Neeranam knows about this and can perhaps add the info). 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, gejohesch said:

This sounds like an excellent explanation. It would explain most of the perceived xenophobic incidents. However, I'm convinced there are germs of genuine xenophobia somewhere in the Thai mindset. When someone, earlier and here above (can't remember who) quoted his wife saying Thais don't like foreigners, I think there is truth in it.

I hardly ever saw Thais being indifferent to the point of being unpleasant towards other Thais, even when they do not know each other. On the contrary, they tend to be very pleasant to each other most of the time.

But a number of times, looks of disgust and contempt towards foreigners, yes. If that is not obvious, remember: if Thais only appear indifferent, they are masters in not showing what they think or feel on their faces. Their "indifference" is often much more than that.

Just look at the Thai Roads, how people cut each other off etc...  this indifference towards each other manifests itself more clearly than ever on the roads !

Of course, there are Thai’s who genuinely do not like foreigners which is perhaps down to ignorance or poor experiences with foreigners.

Just as there are some Thai’s who appreciate foreigners more than Thai’s, in the same manner there are foreigners who do not enjoy interaction with these from their own culture (just look at the ‘do you say hello to other farang threads’).

As foreigners one thing we see less of is the ‘disregard for each other across social boundaries’....  There is almost a ‘caste system’ at play in Thailand, and those perceived to be of a higher socio-economic status really treat those perceived as being below them with an almost intolerable level of indifference which borders on outright rudeness. 

Fortunately, as foreigners we get given the benefit of doubt - our ‘differences’ work in our favour far more than against us, once we can speak Thai, this barrier almost evaporates. 

There is also the other facet that many foreigners exude an air of superiority which rubs many Thai’s up the wrong way.

There is a whole spectrum of attitudes towards foreigners, for the most part I am very happy to see that Thai’s are clever enough to deal with each of us on our on individual merits not their perception from what has occurred before hand.

Government and immigration policies may seem xenophobic - but really its the Job of Immigration to be somewhat xenophobic, they are there to police who they allow into Thailand and attempt to filter out ‘undesirables’ according to the law. 

57 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Not true, I didn't have a 13 digit number but I've been vaccinated, as has my wife who also didn't have one.

But we have no so maybe it will be useful in the future.

I tried with my tax card number and it wasn't accepted.

If on mor prom you had to try many times, like 50

I must confess,   while I lived in my own, very multicultural country, I didnt have  any great feelings one way or another concerning people of different race, culture, religion or colour, I was what  I would term ethnocentric, certainly not racist or xenophobic.  However since living here a number  of years now my feelings have changed, for the worse unfortunately.

While still not sinking to the level of being a racist, I find it increasingly difficult not to react negatively  to  the slights, sneers,  rudeness and  double dealing I  sometimes receive.   I  now put it done to the behaviour of a people who are socially, financially, mentally and physically inferior to me, and    other farangs.

• Like 1

I must confess,   while I lived in my own, very multicultural country, I didnt have  any great feelings one way or another concerning people of different race, culture, religion or colour, I was what  I would term ethnocentric, certainly not racist or xenophobic.  However since living here a number  of years now my feelings have changed, for the worse unfortunately.

While still not sinking to the level of being a racist, I find it increasingly difficult not to react negatively  to  the slights, sneers,  rudeness and  double dealing I  sometimes receive.   I  now put it done to the behaviour of a people who are socially, financially, mentally and physically inferior to me, and    other farangs.

• Like 1

Generally speaking, I believe the broad brushed term of xenophobia is almost ill-defined and certainly misused. 

More often than not, derived from vacant knowledge and sociopathic disconnections. 

This cultural superlative/comparative complex is sure to baffle some, when already deeply conditioned disposition. 

Hey Tomwhatever,,  I can give several hundred examples actually, from blatant theft  in my presence,  to insults, sneers, rudeness, and of course the  double dealing.   Space  and time however limits me,  you will just have to accept the fact , that as I am not a Thai, I am not lying., however, I am not one of the keyboard warrior brigade, but should any person in my country,  treat me  in. that manner they would find themselves on their backside holding their  teeth.  As I realise here, the farang is always wrong, I just sneer back at any   person  who cannot behave like a human,, and believe me I have perfected my sneer  to the nth degree now.. You on the other hand, may submit to any insult you  feel worthy,,  I will not.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

Hey Tomwhatever,,  I can give several hundred examples actually, from blatant theft  in my presence,  to insults, sneers, rudeness, and of course the  double dealing.   Space  and time however limits me,  you will just have to accept the fact , that as I am not a Thai, I am not lying., however, I am not one of the keyboard warrior brigade, but should any person in my country,  treat me  in. that manner they would find themselves on their backside holding their  teeth.  As I realise here, the farang is always wrong, I just sneer back at any   person  who cannot behave like a human,, and believe me I have perfected my sneer  to the nth degree now.. You on the other hand, may submit to any insult you  feel worthy,,  I will not.

I'm not saying you're lying, but you're making some hefty accusations about supposed "double dealing" and much else.

Can you give the specifics of the incident?

Edited by Tanomazu

1 hour ago, gejohesch said:

Of course it doesnt help much when Thais see foreigners half dressed or stumbling around drunk

or in buses with their feet sitting up the top of the headrest

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 4:30 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Thailand is for Thai people .

If you want the benefits of being Thai, get Thai Citizenship 

Some people seems to think that they are entitled to everything a Thai has as a foreigner and also things back in their home country which is not logical. 

A citizen of a country always have more rights than foreigners. We have got to accept that.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

On 9/13/2021 at 4:52 PM, clivebaxter said:

I did it with tax card that has an ID number on it, why do some people find things so difficult? Just been sent the pass on mor prom, although I imagine it's going to be of little use, certainly none for international travel.

How many digits does the tax card ID has?

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Nonsense. Get a yellow housebook and stop feeling sorry for yourself. 

Foreigners can get the Covid vaccine, especially the good ones like Pfizzer, before Thais. 

My foreign friends have been vaccinated with Pfizer and I couldn't get it as I don't have a visa in my UK passport. 

I thought you already have a Thai Id card, so why is it difficult to get Pfizer for you?

Do they look at visa for foreigners before issuing vaccines? They didn't even look at my visa.

Same “Alien Reg.No.” on Thai Pink ID Card, Yellow House Book & Tax Cert.

WHO Yellow Intl. Vax Card is Known & Accepted Worldwide.

Thai Covid Passport will not be accepted outside Thailand.

It should have Duplicated the WHO vax booklet…….

Tomorrow I shall get my Completed 2nd Jab AZ Cert. from Public Hospital and get them or the vax centre to so stamp / sign / certify / incorporate within WHO booklet. Job Done. Maximum Effort.

Not going to MOPH Bkk with Air Ticket for the Thai Covid Passport.

What nonsense to not have local  hospitals issue that……in WHO Form.

3 hours ago, Tanomazu said:

Of course they look with disgust at some foreigners. You should see my look when I see some of these foreigners. That's the single largest downside, next to driving and pollution, to life in Thailand, the standard of foreigners is, shall we say, "eclectic".

I'm amazed how Thais put up with some of these visitors.

Brutal, yet so true….

It’s not xenophobia, rather in some cases it’s disgust !!! ????

I’m not suggesting I (or anyone I know) is better than anyone else, but in some cases I’d be horrified is placed in the same bracket, not just by Thais, but by anyone who can readily recognise a bogan !!! (Love that Aussie term!) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Same “Alien Reg.No.” on Thai Pink ID Card, Yellow House Book & Tax Cert.

WHO Yellow Intl. Vax Card is Known & Accepted Worldwide.

Thai Covid Passport will not be accepted outside Thailand.

It should have Duplicated the WHO vax booklet…….

Tomorrow I shall get my Completed 2nd Jab AZ Cert. from Public Hospital and get them or the vax centre to so stamp / sign / certify / incorporate within WHO booklet. Job Done. Maximum Effort.

Not going to MOPH Bkk with Air Ticket for the Thai Covid Passport.

What nonsense to not have local  hospitals issue that……in WHO Form.

Which other countries do ?

UK doesn’t… they just issue an NHS letter / certificate IF you apply online for it (it takes a couple of weeks I hear).