‘World’s Best Awards 2021’ names Bangkok and Chiang Mai among the globe’s top 10 destinations

snoop1130

‘Worlds-Best-Awards-2021-names-Bangkok-and-Chiang-Mai.jpg

Bangkok, 13 September, 2021 – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is pleased to report that Thailand has performed well in the ‘World’s Best Awards 2021’ survey by Travel + Leisure, with destinations and hotels being voted among the top worldwide.

Bangkok and Chiang Mai both featured in the top 10 of the World’s Best Cities category, with Chiang Mai in 9th spot with a score of 90.06 and Bangkok in 10th with a score of 89.81.

Ko Samui secured 2nd place in the Top 5 Islands in Asia category with a score of 90.34, and also came in at 7th in the Top 25 Islands in the World category.

Four Bangkok hotels made their way into the Top 100 Hotels in the World category, with Capella Bangkok situated on the east bank of the Chao Phraya River occupying 4th place on the list with a score of 99.38.

Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok came in at 41st with a score of 97.87, tied with Katikies Mykonos in Greece’s Mykonos, The Lanesborough in London, and The Roundtree, Amagansett in New York. The Four Seasons Hotel Bangkok at Chao Phraya River earned 55th place with a score of 97.59, and The Sukhothai Bangkok was named in 73rd with a score of 97.25.

The Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok also received a Hall of Fame designation, indicating it had been voted into the Top 100 Hotels in the World list for the past 10 consecutive years.

The World’s Best Awards is based on an annual reader survey, and for the 2021 edition voting was carried out from 11 January-10 May, 2021. There are categories for airlines, airports, car rental, cities, cruise ships, destination spas, hotels, hotel brands, islands, tour operators and safari outfitters, and national parks in the USA.

Source: https://www.tatnews.org/2021/09/worlds-best-awards-2021-names-bangkok-and-chiang-mai-among-the-globes-top-10-destinations/

• Confused 3
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Bangkok, 13 September, 2021 – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is pleased to report that Thailand has performed well in the ‘World’s Best Awards 2021’ survey by Travel + Leisure, with destinations and hotels being voted among the top worldwide.

Farcical.

• Like 2

I have spent quite a bit of time in Chiang Mai the past several years as I have free access to a house.

I do have a girl there I spend time with, play golf in the morning and do some of the nature activities but otherwise I find it pretty boring.  I guess it is OK for tourists for several days to see the temples and go to the outdoor activities out in Mae Rim.  I assume they have the impression it is a charming place with the old city and ancient walls.  The Chinese seem to love Nimman which in reality is a bunch of coffee shops and restaurants.  I have not seen the hotels as being that great (Bangkok much better) at all in fact it is mostly smaller backpacker type places.  The best hotel is probably the Four Seasons out in Mae Rim which can run around 10 to 40,000 b a night during high season.

Also, in addition to the burning season which makes the air very poor for several months, I have rarely experienced extended periods of sunny days.  Most of the time cloudy/overcast with rain in the afternoon.  The last time I was there the sun literally did not come out for more then a few days for an entire month.

Probably just me I am not sure why it would be rated so high.  Some do seem to love the place. But, good for CM maybe it will help bring more tourists there in the future.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They must be going on memory only. Past destinations that you enjoyed? Neither destination offers much, at the moment. No nightlife, one cannot even get a message, or enjoy a beer in a restaurant. And for tourists, the list of requirement is stupid, and they are ones taking the risk by coming here, not the local zombies. Restricted areas in malls, and reminders everywhere you look of the Apocalypse.

Plus Bangkok has now been gifted with an exploding homeless population thanks to Prayuth, and his toxic administration. Their highly selective shutdown policies have put millions of out of work. Plus, anyone who was visiting would likely be greeted by protests, and an indication of the happiness that Cha Cha has stolen from the people. And in CM, one is reminded, that nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing has been done, to improve air quality. So, any visitors can expect New Delhi, or Beijing air quality for 6 or 7 months of the year now. Bangkok too, to a lesser extent. 

So, stop pretending all is normal, and tourism is just going to bounce right back. That is the embodiment of ridiculousness. 

empty-bangkok.jpg

thediplomat_2016-07-01_13-21-15.jpg

airport-coronavirus-gty-ps-200305_hpEmbed_23x15_992.jpg

r.jpeg

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

Let me fix that headline:

‘World’s Best Awards 2021’ names Bangkok and Chiang Mai among the globe’s top 10 destinations that almost nobody can get to at the moment from abroad

And while I'm at it, let me also spruce up that first paragraph a bit:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is pleased to have yet another opportunity to jump at a useless report that Thailand has performed well in the ‘World’s Best Awards 2021’ survey by Travel + Leisure, with destinations and hotels being voted among the top worldwide, though they are all unreachable at the moment for the vast majority of foreign travelers..

Edited by Misterwhisper

This kind of ranking has always been questionable at the best of times, but nowadays, this really is just plain ridiculous.

At the very least, they should focus on destinations that most potential visitors can actually visit, without enduring two weeks quarantine and similar nonsense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Ah, so more accurately, perhaps:

World’s Best Awards 2019

Since there's no way of knowing what percentage of votes in a given year, are based on experiences during that year or even the previous one, who knows? But I don't see why people's high opinion of Thailand as a vacation spot should change because of Covid. Once enough Thais are vaccinated, the attractions that made Thailand one of the major tourist destinations in the world should make it so again. 

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I have spent quite a bit of time in Chiang Mai the past several years as I have free access to a house.

I do have a girl there I spend time with, play golf in the morning and do some of the nature activities but otherwise I find it pretty boring.  I guess it is OK for tourists for several days to see the temples and go to the outdoor activities out in Mae Rim.  I assume they have the impression it is a charming place with the old city and ancient walls.  The Chinese seem to love Nimman which in reality is a bunch of coffee shops and restaurants.  I have not seen the hotels as being that great (Bangkok much better) at all in fact it is mostly smaller backpacker type places.  The best hotel is probably the Four Seasons out in Mae Rim which can run around 10 to 40,000 b a night during high season.

Also, in addition to the burning season which makes the air very poor for several months, I have rarely experienced extended periods of sunny days.  Most of the time cloudy/overcast with rain in the afternoon.  The last time I was there the sun literally did not come out for more then a few days for an entire month.

Probably just me I am not sure why it would be rated so high.  Some do seem to love the place. But, good for CM maybe it will help bring more tourists there in the future.

I am incredibly excited to see Chiang Mai recognised as the top destination in Thailand by the community of travellers in the know who read the world reknown Travel & Leisure magazine based in New York. Obviously Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Ko Samui are the top destinations in Thailand but to see them voted as "World's best" is even more gratifying.

Clearly your girl is neglecting you and not taking you to the best places, as there are many better things to do in Chiang Mai than "see temples and go to the outdoor activities in Mae Rim". From archery cafes where you can not just sip excellent coffees but also learn archery from an Olympic competitor or his attractive wife, to Elephant sanctuaries, to exquisite food at the House restaurant, French patisserie at L'Opera, to monkey shows, to breakfast at the Shangri-La on Sunday, to great nights out at Zoe in Yellow, the options in Chiang Mai are fantastic. When there's no Covid lockdown. Of course now it's dead.

Nimman is a lot more than coffee houses and restaurants. Some of the world's best massage spas are located in Nimman. Not to mention One Nimman, one of the classiest places in Asia, where they rebuilt a Venetian square and put a selection of high class restaurants and shops. If one is tired of Chiang Mai, one is tired of life.

Hotel options in Chiang Mai are plentiful, from the Anantara, Shangri La to the Four Seasons, no whim is uncatered for, top class breakfast buffet, Chinese Dim Sum or Michelin Guide rated fine dining. Just reading this menu makes my mouth fill with saliva:

https://www.anantara.com/uploads/minor/anantara/documents/anantara-chiang-mai-resort/dining/the-service-1921/2021/dining-menu/anantara_chiang_mai_the_service_1921_dining_july_2021.pdf

Sure, February to April Chiang Mai suffers from the inconsiderate behaviour of a few farmers, but that's what Ko Samui, Chiang Mai airport and planes are for. The rest of the year the air is excellent.

As for sun, almost every day is sunny in Chiang Mai, though obviously there is a rainy and cold season which lasts a few weeks.

I knew that Chiang Mai was one of the places in the world to live already, but having it voted as one of the World's Best places is frankly a wonderful accolade from New York of all places.

These World's Best ratings are actually incredibly accurate.

The readers of Travel & Leisure really know what they're talking about.

Colour me impressed.

Chiang Mai now being recognised as the best city in Thailand is of course excellent news. Hardly surprising to those of us who truly know the place though. Such a fantastic city.

Edited by Tanomazu