Several incentives approved to attract long-staying foreign investors, wealthy foreigners

snoop1130

8 hours ago, ericbj said:

Bringing in more of the super-rich will not benefit the ordinary Thais who have until recently depended upon tourism for their livelihood.  I am thinking of small hotel and guesthouse owners and staff, tour and tourist-activity organisations and guides, taxi- and tuktuk-drivers, etc.

Top-down thinkers are proposing top-down solutions.  Why not poll the masses adversely affected by their closures?

Wrecking an economy is simple. 

Re-building an economy is more complicated.  Especially when economic decline is global.

They have wrecked the economy, and are only interested in such rebuilding as may benefit the small group of wealthy individuals to whom they are beholden.

The people you describe, small hotel and guesthouse owners and staff, tour and tourist-activity organisations and guides, taxi- and tuktuk-drivers, etc, are quite simply not considered.

They simply are not part of the equation.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, rott said:

Can you (or anybody) please state some of the countries that fulfill the 7 criteria that you list above. 

A number of people have made similar statements and I am interested to see where Thailand is being compared to. 

panama costa rica ecuador greece portugal spain ,the balkans have some possibilities[not sure about health service though] but  do some research ie. croatia.in the region less visa hassle in cambodia and philippines,need health ins,bali is also on the cards but not my idea too much hassle is indo.malaysia has a good deal .i dont want t live in a muslim place though having spent many yrs in the gulf.argentina is also a nice idea.so latam southern europe ,africa has screwed up again as usual.S E Asia is fading fast but i know of some going to cambodia and malaysia a few to PI vietnam too,i will go to central america or southern europe or if lucky both ,i did stay 2 yrs in central america ,its a nice place but not the pay for sex scene here if thats your scene which seems to be the draw for a lot even if they wont admit it.im done with this place,people are friendly n these places ive found.its faded here especially in tourist places.thais culture is essentially racist,the pricing policy the fact few people have local friends,the mr difficult complex with govt and many things.the fact your looked at as  a cash cow and not included in life .we can all be kicked out on a whim.not rights not the case in many odf the these places the exceptions being yep u got it asia!except PI if u r married to a local

• Like 2

20 hours ago, newnative said:

I suppose I must be missing something but, for local economies, and local workers, wouldn't 100 regular members of the 'tuna fish gang' with regular retirement incomes be far better than 1 millionaire 'caviar' consuming resident?  The millionaire maybe buys 1 or 2 supercars so 1 or 2 car sales and servicing.  The 100 regular retirees buy lots more cars so lots more sales and servicing at a variety of car dealers.  Ditto for everything else, many more of everything--condos and homes, both sales and rentals, and using local services and local workers for personal grooming services, house cleaning, handyman repairs, laundries, health care, pool cleaning, gardening services, and supporting restaurants and lots of other businesses.

So, Thailand is setting off on its quest to find a few millionaires.  As always, spouting impossible  pie-in-the-sky potential numbers which will be periodically greatly reduced.  Meanwhile, more meaningful numbers would likely be achieved with streamlining immigration rules and paperwork, relaxing the foreign quota rule on condo sales, allowing foreigners to purchase 1 plot of land with a maximum designated size, an optional foreigner health care plan to help keep older retirees here, and reducing many high taxes on items to a more reasonable figure.   

If I had money Id be in Japan ..not LOS

On 9/14/2021 at 5:43 PM, khunpa said:

Completely agree. There are so many other and much more trouble-free countries to invest in. 

Yes agree with the above, the biggest single hurdle Thailand faces is Corruption, it is where progress in the right direction stops. Those in a position of power including uniformed enforcers & Hisos have the potential to become very wealthy very quickly because of the endemic corruption in Thai society. Most have their snouts in the trough and sadly there is no sign of any changes in the near future apart from the Bangkok protests which are mostly about current leadership and corruption. Thailand would like to lure wealthy foreigners and doesnt understand that to make Thailand attractive to foreign investors is to improve the visa system, overhaul the banking system in regards to remitting overseas. Stamp out corruption and make land ownership practical, stop having a love affair with China & the Chinese, treat them only as an equal to other countries wether they are western or Asian countries. The Chinese are not here for a sun tan, they want power, land and money and do not care how that is achieved, the consequences on society and the environment. 

Thailand is a jewel and most of the people are fantastic but going down the current road that they are on doesnt look good for the average Thai person. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 9:47 AM, Tanomazu said:

Thailand is a shanty town? Have you ever been to Central Festival?

Try finding that in the UK, Germany, France etc...

That's one of the nice things about Thailand : it's everything you want. The land of extremes and also the land of contradictions : it can be filthy, it can be spotless clean; it can be chaotic and disorganised, it can be very well organised; people can be truthful and sincere, they can also be deceitful and lying through their teeth; they can be honest, prudish and modest about clothing and behaviour , they can also be cheaters, and totally open and adventurous when it comes to men-women relationships. Etc.

And often at the same time!!!

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 8:36 PM, khunpa said:

Any “wealthy” person can just right now buy an Elite visa, if they want to

stay here. But it is a completely different thing and other factors that apply, if you want to invest in property or setup a company.

This is  true. I am looking to get a 20 yr Elite Visa (I certainly don't consider myself wealthy though) but that doesn't entitle me to much. It's really just a "travel" visa., 90 Day reporting still needed etc.  While I am a little circumspect about them sticking to it for 20 yrs, I am hoping they would just stop issuing them rather then reneging on the ones they have issued already.   It kind of suits me, as I wanted to move around ASEAN (albeit Myanmar is out)

I'd still be wary of purchasing land/house etc  if you have no path to residency, as they can kick you out when they like.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 12:29 PM, spidermike007 said:

I think ex-pats should be treated with the kind of respect and acknowledgement we deserve.

Why should they bother ? They give you the rough end of the pineapple now and you still come.... in droves. It's like some weird quasi sado/masochistic relationship ????

Seems to be common in here to make the point that immigrants (ex-pats) deserve to be treated with a little more dignity, why exactly should they bother ? More, why ? there are already plenty.

12 minutes ago, BumGun said:

Why should they bother ? They give you the rough end of the pineapple now and you still come.... in droves. It's like some weird quasi sado/masochistic relationship ????

Seems to be common in here to make the point that immigrants (ex-pats) deserve to be treated with a little more dignity, why exactly should they bother ? More, why ? there are already plenty.

Not really. Tens of thousands of ex-pats have re-located to greener pastures in the past five years. I would estimate the ex-pat population here is dropping, not going up. Means nothing to the officials. If anything, that is what they want. 

Edited by spidermike007

47 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Not really. Tens of thousands of ex-pats have re-located to greener pastures in the past five years. I would estimate the ex-pat population here is dropping, not going up. Means nothing to the officials. If anything, that is what they want. 

That's a start. Might be far more beneficial for the country many more "expats" to relocate to different climes. No loss.

They might just feel special somewhere else....and continue to screw up the world by their special cultures.

Edited by zzaa09
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2021 at 4:26 PM, toho said:

I own a condo in Thailand for 17 years. Bought cars, motorbikes, spent money in shops.

Like many other expats / retirees.

Due to European regulations I had to return to Europe last year. My Lao partner could not come to Europe or return to Laos as borders and means of transport were closed for several months, so she stays in my Thai condo alone. We have daily Line-contact since more than 1 year now. She having to wait like cattle in dangerous Covid lines at Immigration regularly and pay, pay, pay, return, return, return for visa extensions.

Several Thai and Lao persons are supported by me for years already; even more now as they have no income due to Covid-19 and general lack of social security. Costs me many thousands of EUR each year. (I am not a rich guy but feel I have to share, till some point).

I have no criminal record, have 2 Pfizer injections plus QR code, have an excellent health insurance that covers everything for an unlimited amount. And like to be reunited with my partner in Thailand. However it is not easy any more to feel at ease and welcome in this country, reasons enough. So considering to go elsewhere, unless many things change for the better quickly, I keep hoping but have my fears.

You've noticed that, too.  I had to leave January 2020 for business and family in Canada. Return was Scheduled April.  We all know how that went. ???????? But this is not the Thailand I left.  My wife seems embarrassed to have a farang husband.  All the neighbours I called friends and ate with and talked to are distant.  Unlike the other two farangs in the village, I was well liked and welcomed.  Now, I feel like an outsider... my wife gets invited over all the time, but she tells me I can't come. Crazy.

And it's not just the village.  When I go into town to the larger markets, people are distant.  I'm used to everyone chatting me up with a million questions. Not any more.  

Needless to say, our marriage is strained.  And I am seriously thinking of another country.  Friends tell me to come to go to the Philippines, no problems there.  Another friend took off to Cambodia end of 2019.  Tells me to forget Thailand, go there... much better treatment all around.  

So I don't know... just don't feel welcome or wanted here anymore.  (No, this isn't a tourist town).

• Sad 1

On 9/19/2021 at 8:40 PM, spidermike007 said:
On 9/19/2021 at 8:28 PM, BumGun said:

Expand  

Expand  

Any idea where these folks had gone to if its in Asia ...

16 hours ago, relax33 said:

Any idea where these folks had gone to if its in Asia ...

I know many who have gone to Cambodia, Vietnam, or the PI. Some have moved back home. Some to Croatia, Turkey, Spain, Portugal, Mexico, and South America. Tens of thousands have left. A super toxic administration, a highly xenophobic immigration, and little hope for the future of the nation, with fake puritan dinosaurs in control. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I know many who have gone to Cambodia, Vietnam, or the PI. Some have moved back home. Some to Croatia, Turkey, Spain, Portugal, Mexico, and South America. Tens of thousands have left. A super toxic administration, a highly xenophobic immigration, and little hope for the future of the nation, with fake puritan dinosaurs in control. 

Thanks, too bad Vietnam is purging foreigners now ..

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

HOW? there are no tourist visas being issued for Cambodia nor have been issued for over a year>
only way to get a visa is apply at the Embassy for a business visa which means u need show you have a job waiting for you.

Thailand has neve really been shut for tourist, so all those claiming they have been unable to return, just dont want do the quarantine 

• Like 2

On 9/19/2021 at 8:25 AM, zzaa09 said:

That's a start. Might be far more beneficial for the country many more "expats" to relocate to different climes. No loss.

They might just feel special somewhere else....and continue to screw up the world by their special cultures.

I think that is the way allot of Thais feel. 

On 10/2/2021 at 12:49 PM, spidermike007 said:

Yeah... I'm married to a Thai, and she won't leave.  Know too many who have, though... Thailand does not even make at a top 10 retirement destination in many arettickes now.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WinterGael said:

Yeah... I'm married to a Thai, and she won't leave.  Know too many who have, though... Thailand does not even make at a top 10 retirement destination in many arettickes now.  

My Thai wife is itching to leave. She and I both feel the nation is moving backwards, and there is little chance for progress. 

We are looking at alternatives. Frankly, it really comes down to financial limitations. If funds were not an issue, when we leave for the US later this month, we would likely move to Baja, California, with occasional visits to Thailand and the US. Thailand two or three months out of the year would be perfect! 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Sad 1