Several incentives approved to attract long-staying foreign investors, wealthy foreigners

snoop1130

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

in line with the 20-year national strategic plan.

Assuming this 20 year plan does not work, do they just say OK let's have a new 20 year plan.

These people are complete fools. How about a 20 year plan reviewed every year and amended - not fly headlong into a complete 20 year disaster, only declared so after its finished !

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, nausea said:

Cf. Malaysia. Thailand is missing a trick here - your initial conditions should be quite reasonable, then once you've baited the trap, and the gulls are committed to condos or whatever, you up the ante. In fact, I do wonder just who this new 10 year visa is aimed at, given the onerous qualifying conditions, though I could guess. One would think the legislators have some target market in mind, even if it's unstated, and probably miniscule. I'm assuming the justifying flim-flam given out for public consumption is just that, flim-flam, and nobody actually believes in it.

Singapore did this with Hedge Funds - they made it a very free and easy place to set up a fund and then once they had attracted a fair few they then turned the regulatory screws. Pull this <deleted> and you are 'Patria non grata' in my book.

13 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Several incentives approved to attract poverty stricken UK expats trying to survive on one of the poorest OAP in the developed world.

That's the headline I'm waiting for.

Don't hold your breath waiting...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mokwit said:

Just the norm having things set up so they can pull the rug out from under you any time.

My bet is on condo sales, I have a friend who sells property in Hua Hin, he thinks properties can still be sold at sky high prices.

Yet reports I hear from people in the know in BK , say property prices have fallen and plenty of bargains around. One of my friends who is a well known condo developer has closed shop and gone home and is waiting for the dust to settle b4 he returns.

So my bets on buy one, get a visa free, which has been around years, as far as lifting restrictions on ownership that would be good, but I would be looking at lifting restrictions on expats and retirees to encourage them in , not trying to fleece them at every turn with testing , paperwork and insurance fees and stupid 90 day reporting.

There are many properties for rent at present but my wife says, many are trying to get pre pandemic and high season rents, I tell her "these are the people with too much money".

These people are like the Banks, that take over a mortgage property then put a for sale sign on it, then a price on it which is above what it sold for, hoping to get the interest and loan fees and capital gain back.

The properties get overgrown and gutted but the Banks won't budge, they got too much money.

Many of these properties just rot away, but Mr Big Bank he do not worry.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, johng said:

From the Thai PBS page   this old chestnut again !!

"Thanakorn said that laws and regulations regarding land ownership will also be amended to attract foreign investors"

They have been teasing frang with this land ownership carrot for decades and decades now......I would say about a 99.999% chance it will not happen....

image.jpeg.f65d9a23b1cce8ca27c8e9cd9a897c5e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

You make a good point, if I'm reading between the lines correctly. They would attract just as much foreign currency, and spread the wealth more broadly, by amending their regulations to attract more of us regular Joes of modest means. My 90,000 thousand baht per month from pension funds goes into the local economy. Multiply that by 100 by getting Immigration out of the way, then they don't need the ten million investment by the rich guys. 

Naa, this sounds too sensible.

Im loathe to bring it up again but what about those that live already and spend over a million baht a year?

I also notice in a very sneaky change of wording that the Thailand elite visa is now selling itself as a way to get "residence" in Thailand which of course it does not.

• Like 2

The newsletter headline said it all.
"Thailand approves plan to lure wealthy foreigners"

It sounds like a government-sponsored programme on how to cheat cash out of the dirty farang. What all these clowns have not understood yet is, that the wealthy alien (in this case mainly Chinese) are shopping around like mad. The first whining hotel owners have been crying that, unless a miracle happens, they would be forced to sell off their business to Chinese. 

Well, the Thais never managed anything really and this is just yet another example. The German post had to privatized and is now run by DHL, Swiss Airlines was mopped up by the German Lufthansa etc. 

The best thing is, that Thais return to their rice fields and the beauties go back working all over the soapies in Thailand; that's what they can manage and have done beautifully well over the last few decades .........