Oz citizen wanting to take partner to NZ.

Hey guys. 

So have Thai partner many years together in Thailand. We have done many trips to Oz over the years and a 12month multi for her no problem.

So we want to go back to Oz in future when covid travel restrictions are gone. 

If that ever happens. 

So to the question.....how difficult is it for AU citizen to take Thai partner to NZ. (side trip while in Oz)

Might be best to advise based on pre covid as at this point future travel seems guess work. Esp for the 2 countries mentioned.

Any help/advice much appreciated.

On 9/18/2021 at 7:41 PM, DrJack54 said:

Partner = Non married couple. 

Common term in Oz is defacto relationship.

Purpose of visit to NZ is tourism.

So she is your girlfriend.

De facto is a legal term in regards to a relationship in Australia and NZ. Thailand doesn't legally recognise de facto relationships, so under the law of the country that she is a citizen and resides, she is your girlfriend.

It may seem I am being flippant, but it makes a very big difference in a legal sense and that's what your are being judged on. Now just because Thailand doesn't recognise de facto relationships, that doesn't mean NZ won't recognise your in one, but you will have to prove it to the NZ requirements which are

How long you have been together; (3 years is the requirement in NZ)
Whether you share a residence (i.e. do you share a bedroom together);
Whether a sexual relationship exists between you;
Arrangements surrounding your financial affairs (e.g. are you financially dependent on each other; do you share bank accounts etc.);
Ownership, use, and acquisition of any property (assets or liabilities);
Whether you have a mutual commitment to a shared life together;
The care and support of any children; (even if not biologically yours)
Who performs various household duties;
How the public views your relationship (e.g. do your friends and family see you as a couple?)

She will have to apply for a normal Visitor Visa from Thailand, unless she has a very good job and money she won't get it on her own accord . So she will have to show that she is traveling with you, her relationship to you (if claiming its a de facto see above). that she has the funds to support her stay and that she a reason to leave NZ at the end of the trip.

To increase the chances of getting the visa you will need to be able to evidence the above in detail, not just claim its so.

Supply the right evidence and the visa will be easy to get.

1 minute ago, PhanomR said:

De facto is a legal term in regards to a relationship in Australia and NZ. Thailand doesn't legally recognise de facto relationships, so under the law of the country that she is a citizen and resides, she is your girlfriend.

It may seem I am being flippant, but it makes a very big difference in a legal sense and that's what your are being judged on. Now just because Thailand doesn't recognise de facto relationships, that doesn't mean NZ won't recognise your in one, but you will have to prove it to the NZ requirements which are

Arrangements surrounding your financial affairs (e.g. are you financially dependent on each other; do you share bank accounts etc.);
How the public views your relationship (e.g. do your friends and family see you as a couple?)

She will have to apply for a normal Visitor Visa from Thailand, unless she has a very good job and money she won't get it on her own accord . So she will have to show that she is traveling with you, her relationship to you (if claiming its a de facto see above). that she has the funds to support her stay and that she a reason to leave NZ at the end of the trip.

To increase the chances of getting the visa you will need to be able to evidence the above in detail, not just claim its so.

And how often you use some blue pills;

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, PhanomR said:

Thanks for the effort. 

That aside did you read my post. Here is first para.

Hey guys. 

So have Thai partner many years together in Thailand. We have done many trips to Oz over the years and a 12month multi for her no problem.

1. Many Years.

2. She has done MANY trips to Oz. 12 month multi,s for her no problem.

She has been travelling to AU every year (sometimes twice) for 10 years. 

This trip to from Oz to NZ and return obviously would be together. In any event if it's an issue will skip it.

BTW lot of what you mentioned as being required for visa to NZ was certainly not case for her visas to AU.

29 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks for the effort. 

That aside did you read my post. Here is first para.

Hey guys. 

1. Many Years.

2. She has done MANY trips to Oz. 12 month multi,s for her no problem.

She has been travelling to AU every year (sometimes twice) for 10 years. 

This trip to from Oz to NZ and return obviously would be together. In any event if it's an issue will skip it.

BTW lot of what you mentioned as being required for visa to NZ was certainly not case for her visas to AU.

Yes I read your first post, hence the reason I asked you to define partner. As if she was your wife or legal partner it makes things easier. 

I take it this is her first trip to NZ, so it will be treated the same as a first tourist visa to Australia was treated, with the exception that your not a citizen of NZ, plus the complexity of how does she prove your travelling with her when you don't need a visa!

You not being a NZ citizen plays a bigger part then you may think, as legal partners of citizens are given special consideration in issuing visas.

As I said if you evidence your claims well, you shouldn't have a problem and the fact she has complied with visas to Australia in the past will be looked on favourably.