Non-O visa based on marriage (social security)

I will be having my checks deposited in a Usa bank account and use transfer wise as the method of proving the monthly income instead of the 400,000 Thai baht keeping inside Thai bank account.  My question is when you use transfer wise to send the funds to your Thai bank account how does immigration know and do you need to show any other type of proof other than the 12 months of bank statements? Thank you 

To prove a income of at least 40k baht you will need 12 months of transfers from abroad when you apply for the extension.

When  applying you will need a 1 year bank statement to prove the transfers and that they came from abroad. If the proof they came from abroad is not shown you will credit advises to prove they did.

When setting up the transfers on Wise (formally transferwise) you can select immigrations purposes so it always goes to the same bank. If set up for a Bangkok Bank account your transfers will be shown as foreign transfers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

To prove a income of at least 40k baht you will need 12 months of transfers from abroad when you apply for the extension.

When  applying you will need a 1 year bank statement to prove the transfers and that they came from abroad. If the proof they came from abroad is not shown you will credit advises to prove they did.

When setting up the transfers on Wise (formally transferwise) you can select immigrations purposes so it always goes to the same bank. If set up for a Bangkok Bank account your transfers will be shown as foreign transfers.

When I log into wise I see several choices as to why you want to send I see a choice that says (for long term stay in Thailand) Not sure if that is the correct one because I don't see a choice (Immigration purposes)? I am not but I thought I was reading an earlier post something fft code on the bank transfer when you update your bank book. Thank you

29 minutes ago, raptorea said:

When I log into wise I see several choices as to why you want to send I see a choice that says (for long term stay in Thailand) Not sure if that is the correct one because I don't see a choice (Immigration purposes)? I am not but I thought I was reading an earlier post something fft code on the bank transfer when you update your bank book.

It is the longstay option. I could not remember exactly what it said but long stay requires dealing with immigration.

The FTT (foreign telegraphic transfer) code in a bank book is only used by Bangkok Bank. Others have a different code for them and some only show a code for a domestic transfer the way they handle international transfers.

If using Wise Bangkok Bank is the best choice.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is the longstay option. I could not remember exactly what it said but long stay requires dealing with immigration.

The FTT (foreign telegraphic transfer) code in a bank book is only used by Bangkok Bank. Others have a different code for them and some only show a code for a domestic transfer the way they handle international transfers.

If using Wise Bangkok Bank is the best choice.

Ok thank you another question Is it correct that as long as you show 12 months of bank statements of 40,000 thai baht or more from a non thai account to a thai bank account that you would not have to prove it was from social security? Do they only want to see the 12 months of transfers of 40,000 thai baht or more? Thank you 

• Like 1

You normally need 13 mths  (1 mth for under consideration) of FTT transfers listed in your bank account- 3 for your first extension. They need to be listed in your bank book as FTTs. I collect Credit advices from my Bangkok Bank all year and present them back to BB for the annual certificate. Ticking "funds for long stay" on Wises web site get FTTs showing in your account

Edited by chilly07
  • Thanks 2

Only your local Io will give you the correct answer as requirements can vary from province to province. Mine wanted to see a letter from employer and told me that being self employed and monthly transfers from my savings is not good. 

4 minutes ago, Bigz said:

Only your local Io will give you the correct answer as requirements can vary from province to province. Mine wanted to see a letter from employer and told me that being self employed and monthly transfers from my savings is not good. 

Wow not surprised by that answer! I would have thought for sure if you are retired drawing social security that would be good enough in addition even if you are not drawing social security but can prove 12 months are transfers from your bank outside the country would be ok. As you said yes it is up to your local IO but what I see all to often in the staff changes in the office then the rule that was ok last year is no longer good this year!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, raptorea said:

Ok thank you another question Is it correct that as long as you show 12 months of bank statements of 40,000 thai baht or more from a non thai account to a thai bank account that you would not have to prove it was from social security? Do they only want to see the 12 months of transfers of 40,000 thai baht or more? Thank you 

If you get a one year bank statement it will show a total of 13 transfers.

I have had to show proof of the source of my income for my extensions (3 now) using the 40k baht income. I give them a copy of the COLA letter I get in December and the SSA-1099 I get in January.

57 minutes ago, raptorea said:

If you just prove the money came from your USA bank account and transfer the required amount in Thai baht to your Bangkok bank on a monthly basis for 12 months that is all that is required should you choose that route?

One year bank statement, copies of bank book and a letter from the bank confirming account.

• Thanks 1

I use Wise (neé TransferWise) for all my transfers to K-Bank, and my bank book shows MCLxxxxx. So when I went to get my certified statement I just asked the bank officer to show that the money came from abroad. She pressed some keys and easy peasy, there was a column with the information (I had her print the certified 12 month bank statement in Thai).

Edited by lungfarang

Besides what Ubon Joe indicated, you will need a bank letter stating that you own the account.  And by the way, I know for a retirement extension the bank account is yours only, no 2nd signature allowed (there is a means of having a 2nd signature but I will not explain here now.)  For a marriage extension, it may be the same, no spousal signature.

18 minutes ago, fceligoj said:

Besides what Ubon Joe indicated, you will need a bank letter stating that you own the account.  And by the way, I know for a retirement extension the bank account is yours only, no 2nd signature allowed (there is a means of having a 2nd signature but I will not explain here now.)  For a marriage extension, it may be the same, no spousal signature.

The account simply needs to be in your name only...only owned by you; joint acct not allowed. 

However, you can have your singularly owned acct setup where you designate that your spouse or other person can withdraw funds on your behalf.   It's basically a Power of Attorney type setup....the bank has the appropriate forms.  The other person's name will not appear on the account, not on the passbook main page, not on mbanking/ibanking, etc.....it's just allows the person to withdraw funds from your acct.   The Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank accts I have used for years for my retirement/marriage extension of stay renewal is setup this way.....I have my wife authorized to withdraw funds. 

The bank will have that 2nd person (like your spouse) sign the back of the passbook along with the acct owner....that is, the last page of the passbook where the signature(s) are only viewable under a black light....what the bank teller uses to compare your signature.

• Like 1