Owners of 400 cc bikes and more.

Kwasaki

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

In my experience the big bike riders are never an issue, its somchai from the village thats the idiot. Very occasionaly you hear of someone whose ambitions overrule their cababilities buts thats quite rare.

The people on all types of small bikes & scoots are a mix of good and bad riders.

Of what big bike of such are around there's only one I see on a CBR650R that goes through the village at a unreasonable pace, young though like quite a few going at speed on Kawasaki 300's.

There's a few older and young riding the likes of Xmax, Forza & PCX for some reason think its OK to go fast through the village.

The occasional big bike visitors on Harley's, GS and all sorts of machines just cruise through.

9 hours ago, arithai12 said:

As we know nothing about the details of the suggested Big Bike DL, the whole question seems a bit premature. However, considering how many people, especially young people, lose their lives in accidents caused by themselves on big bikes, it is perhaps not such a bad idea. At least in principle.

By the way, it would also be not a bad idea to introduce a serious testing for any class of DL and especially a serious DL checking. I was reading that over 50% of fatal 2-wheels accidents (that means especially scooters, not just big bikes) involve unlicensed riders. But I am dreaming.

I have mixed feelings about the mention by govt of a big bike DL mostly about it being a stupid idea..

If they think it will reduced big bike accidents that is dreaming.

Unless the test is taken on a big bike whats the point.

A good initial test I see as difficult to apply to Thailand the way it views motorbikes.

I stick with the idea of increase CTPL insurance costs linked to cc ratings as they do with car/trucks.

On 9/18/2021 at 9:21 PM, dj230 said:

big bike, half the reason to ride a motorcycle is for the fun of it

Yes, and being able to travel long distances in comfort ( This applies to me although my Forza is not exactly a big bike) there is also being able to avoid the long traffic queues at traffic lights.

19 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Not a good idea IMHO.

What about some ordinary Highways where all bikes are also banned? ie the Highway on both sides of Don Muang Airport. I always use it when I ride to Bangkok an my Forza as I don't agree with that rule, though having been stopped only once, I have 300Bt in my pocket just in case.

14 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What about some ordinary Highways where all bikes are also banned? ie the Highway on both sides of Don Muang Airport. I always use it when I ride to Bangkok an my Forza as I don't agree with that rule, though having been stopped only once, I have 300Bt in my pocket just in case.

I accept there is inconsistences as you know it comes with territory.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well I don't have to worry about that I can only get CTPL on my bike. ????

What does CTPL mean? Strange to see one of the more sensible posters using initials instead of just printing the words. I have now just noticed it is something to do with insurance.

Edited by possum1931

31 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What does CTPL mean? Strange to see one of the more sensible posters using initials instead of just printing the words. I have now just noticed it is something to do with insurance.

I would of assumed anyone owning a bike or a car/truck would know what it is. 

For you ???? it is the Thai Govt's Compulsory Third Party Liabilities insurance cover. 

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I have mixed feelings about the mention by govt of a big bike DL mostly about it being a stupid idea..

If they think it will reduced big bike accidents that is dreaming.

Pretty much my thoughts also...just because I passed my test it didn't stop me riding like a lunatic, 18 ~ 22 predominantly ????

On 9/19/2021 at 12:52 PM, MartinL said:

At the same time as the 'Big Bike' licence was announced, there was also an announcement of speed restrictions for bikes according to capacity; less than 400cc - max. speed 80 kph., 400+ cc - 100 kph. No mention of speed limits depending on whether a rider has 'normal' or 'BB' licence so that a 'BB' licence holder on a sub-400 cc bike would also be limited to 80 kph, which sounds totally stupid to me. If you've proved your competence in riding 'big bikes' to the licensing authority's satisfaction so that they issue you with a 'BB' licence, why does your competence decrease on a smaller machine?

That's what made me go back to 'Big Bikes' buy a 650 cc bike recently - being restricted by law (even if, in practice, it's not enforced) to 80 kph on my smaller 250, when I easily and regularly ride it at 110+ kph, would have made biking MUCH less fun and more dangerous.

I'll get the 'BB' licence if it materialises before my riding days are over - it'll be essential now I've got the 'Big Bike'! I can't imagine it'd be any more difficult than my UK advanced test passes.

You bought a 650cc bike to avoid a potential speeding fine?

Why not just ride your bike at whatever speed and lane is the safest for the given situation and in the unlikely event you get pulled over just pay the 200 Baht once a year or so? They'll find a way to extort money out of you on the 650 anyway (not riding in the left lane or something stupid like that) especially if you ride at 110+ kph anyway. 

27 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You bought a 650cc bike to avoid a potential speeding fine?

Why not just ride your bike at whatever speed and lane is the safest for the given situation and in the unlikely event you get pulled over just pay the 200 Baht once a year or so? They'll find a way to extort money out of you on the 650 anyway (not riding in the left lane or something stupid like that) especially if you ride at 110+ kph anyway. 

They have catch you. ????