Owners of 400 cc bikes and more.

Kwasaki

I think the big bike DL is just a extra Baht revenue exercise. 

Out of interest when or if the alleged big motorbike bike DL become available what will many owners do here. ??

Would you go to the 390 bikes available here. 

Or would you think about going to a bigger cc motorcycle because you can.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’d have whichever bike I wanted and wouldn’t worry about the licence.

When its time for renewal of my Motorcycle licence I’d upgrade to the ‘Big Bike’ licence if it was easy enough. 

If it involved doing a full test / lessons etc, then I just wouldn’t bother with the licence. 

I think it’s just a ‘pie in the sky’ idea and nothing will really change anyway. 

Yeah fair call, I will get one personally if it does happen.

It's just I could see guys who are not bothered and go 399cc ????.

Or some thinking right I  have a big bike why stick with 400 I'll get a 650 or 800 whatever. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, lesmac said:

I don't object to the idea of a big bike licence but like many here I have been driving big bikes for 15 years here so why would I need to resit my test and would the licence give me any benefits such as lower insurance, the right to drive on slightly safer toll roads. Not likely with the ruling dinosaurs.

As said me thinks it is a get more money exercise and I think it should include 250 or 248cc ???? and above from a safety point of view. 

Whatever happens if it does happen I would think existing Thai 5 year licence holders that prove they ride big bikes as well as scoots and bikes under 400cc can just get a big bike DL by turning up with the big bike book and bike. 

Guys buying new or changing and going to big bikes will have to take another test.

That said if there's no exceptions I would take the test or if available to make it easier go the way of using a school.  

At the same time as the 'Big Bike' licence was announced, there was also an announcement of speed restrictions for bikes according to capacity; less than 400cc - max. speed 80 kph., 400+ cc - 100 kph. No mention of speed limits depending on whether a rider has 'normal' or 'BB' licence so that a 'BB' licence holder on a sub-400 cc bike would also be limited to 80 kph, which sounds totally stupid to me. If you've proved your competence in riding 'big bikes' to the licensing authority's satisfaction so that they issue you with a 'BB' licence, why does your competence decrease on a smaller machine?

That's what made me go back to 'Big Bikes' buy a 650 cc bike recently - being restricted by law (even if, in practice, it's not enforced) to 80 kph on my smaller 250, when I easily and regularly ride it at 110+ kph, would have made biking MUCH less fun and more dangerous.

I'll get the 'BB' licence if it materialises before my riding days are over - it'll be essential now I've got the 'Big Bike'! I can't imagine it'd be any more difficult than my UK advanced test passes.

• Like 1

In Oz they have the 2 classes of motorbike licenses. You must ride a lower powered bike for one year before doing the test on a high powered bike. Personally I think it's a good thing as the last thing you want is a novice jumping on a high powered bike with absolutely no experience, especially a high power road bike Vs say a High powered road bike where the difference in handling characteristics can throw even an experienced rider, unfamiliar with the bike and its handling on the dirt.
Having been dumped on my butt when changing from my own bike (1200 cruiser) to a mate's Ninja 600 I am speaking from a gravel rash and expensive, luckily not fatal experience.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lopchan said:

In Oz they have the 2 classes of motorbike licenses. You must ride a lower powered bike for one year before doing the test on a high powered bike. Personally I think it's a good thing as the last thing you want is a novice jumping on a high powered bike with absolutely no experience, especially a high power road bike Vs say a High powered road bike where the difference in handling characteristics can throw even an experienced rider, unfamiliar with the bike and its handling on the dirt.
Having been dumped on my butt when changing from my own bike (1200 cruiser) to a mate's Ninja 600 I am speaking from a gravel rash and expensive, luckily not fatal experience.

I learnt to ride on the farm back in the early 80's on a yamaha 175 dirt bike, great fun on the property.

I bought a LAM's approved BMW 650CC about 10 years ago and that bike had absolutely no issues winding up to 150km/hour. I assume it could have gone even faster than that if I had been inclined, so I always wondered how that model bike ever got onto a new rider's bike list and I'm sure that there must have been other LAM's approved bikes that were the same. I had as much fun on the 175 I reckon because you could literally throw that bike all over the place, especially on the dirt.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lesmac said:

I don't object to the idea of a big bike licence but like many here I have been driving big bikes for 15 years here so why would I need to resit my test and would the licence give me any benefits such as lower insurance, the right to drive on slightly safer toll roads. Not likely with the ruling dinosaurs.

I would guess ( - and I *am* guessing) that if you were involved in an accident/event in Thailand on your Big-Bike, and if you didn't (already) have a Thai Big-Bike Licence, that your Bike-Insurance Co. might decide that you invalidated the Terms of your Insurance-Policy.  (Or maybe the Insurance Co. would ask to see your Big-Bike Licence every time that you renew your Insurance-Policy.)

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 3:59 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I’d have whichever bike I wanted and wouldn’t worry about the licence.

When its time for renewal of my Motorcycle licence I’d upgrade to the ‘Big Bike’ licence if it was easy enough. 

If it involved doing a full test / lessons etc, then I just wouldn’t bother with the licence. 

I think it’s just a ‘pie in the sky’ idea and nothing will really change anyway. 

Maybe they will try to put some sense and responsibility into the BB DL testing before granting it. Currently the road manners of some BB riders is discraceful  and dangerous to others as well as themselves. If they have a death wish OK but dont affect others including those sitting pillion

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

I'll get the licence if I have to but jeez - 3 licences?  If it were anywhere else I'd expect the big bike licence to cover small bikes but we are talking about Thailand.

I agree seems a bit silly but so do many other things here, the more papers the better the job bless em. ????

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, andersonat said:

I would guess ( - and I *am* guessing) that if you were involved in an accident/event in Thailand on your Big-Bike, and if you didn't (already) have a Thai Big-Bike Licence, that your Bike-Insurance Co. might decide that you invalidated the Terms of your Insurance-Policy.  (Or maybe the Insurance Co. would ask to see your Big-Bike Licence every time that you renew your Insurance-Policy.)

Well I don't have to worry about that I can only get CTPL on my bike. ????

51 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well I don't have to worry about that I can only get CTPL on my bike. ????

K - 

I just had a (quick) look on the Internet, and I saw a website for a Thai Insurance Co. quoting prices for CTPL  ---- (1) up to 75cc [Bt161], (2) 75-125cc [Bt323], (3) 125cc-150cc [Bt430], (4) >150cc [Bt645].

--  *If* the Thai Government introduces a Big-Bike Licence, they may well also decide to change (4) to 150-400cc, and introduce a new level (5) >400cc.

And when you pay the Annual Road-Tax for the Big-Bike ... it might be impossible to avoid paying the extra pennies for the new higher-rate (whatever it might be).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I think it largely depends on where you are and how often you ride etc. It all varies so much in this country, The prevelent attitude I have encountered in my area is "cant be bothered" they would rather just pay a 200 baht fine IF they ever got pulled. Many dont seem to bother too much with any official licensing or even number plates !

YMMV

You're describing me 55.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You guys can do as you please, in the nicest possible way of course, me, I'm too scared to sit as pillion passenger on my Mrs Scoopy, they have just upgraded Soi Siam country club road, it's now used as a racetrack, I said to the Mrs this morning that I'm waiting for the first fatal accident, it won't be long coming, sadly. We can hear them coming from miles away, especially in the morning. 

Edited by Golden Triangle
To add clarity ????

1 hour ago, andersonat said:

K - 

I just had a (quick) look on the Internet, and I saw a website for a Thai Insurance Co. quoting prices for CTPL  ---- (1) up to 75cc [Bt161], (2) 75-125cc [Bt323], (3) 125cc-150cc [Bt430], (4) >150cc [Bt645].

--  *If* the Thai Government introduces a Big-Bike Licence, they may well also decide to change (4) to 150-400cc, and introduce a new level (5) >400cc.

And when you pay the Annual Road-Tax for the Big-Bike ... it might be impossible to avoid paying the extra pennies for the new higher-rate (whatever it might be).

Well I would not be surprised by that it may well be a good reason in my book for the Thai govt DLT dept to have a sensible big bike debate.

Myself paying 645 baht for a 900 cc bike doesn't seem fair so instead of going to having a silly 3 DL's system why doesn't the Thai govt introduce higher CTPL insurance costs on bikes as it does on car/trucks it would make more sense and raise more revenue in a better way.

As always if people in the govt the likes of the ones that want to introduce big bike DL's had any brains they would be dangerous.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kennw said:

Maybe they will try to put some sense and responsibility into the BB DL testing before granting it. Currently the road manners of some BB riders is discraceful  and dangerous to others as well as themselves. If they have a death wish OK but dont affect others including those sitting pillion

Interesting where exactly is bad big bike behavour I don't see too much where I live.

Places like Bkk maybe. ??

As we know nothing about the details of the suggested Big Bike DL, the whole question seems a bit premature. However, considering how many people, especially young people, lose their lives in accidents caused by themselves on big bikes, it is perhaps not such a bad idea. At least in principle.

By the way, it would also be not a bad idea to introduce a serious testing for any class of DL and especially a serious DL checking. I was reading that over 50% of fatal 2-wheels accidents (that means especially scooters, not just big bikes) involve unlicensed riders. But I am dreaming.