UK Passport Renewal in Thailand

Whilst my UK Passport does not expire until February 2024 I seek to ensure there are no timing issues or risks of causing overstay. 

Each year (June) I apply for renewal of extension based upon retirement. The extension application due in June 2022 (to June 2023) will be able to use current passport. The extension application in June 2023 would however not be possible for a full year due to passport expiring. . It would seem logical therefore to seek UK Passport renewal around January/February 2023. This would allow for processing time for new passport and ensure availability in good time for extension renewal application in June 2023 for subsequent year. Does that make sense or am I missing something ?. 

I would be seeking an agent to handle my Passport Application as I live almost 500 miles north of Bangkok. Suggestions for reliable agent would be appreciated

• Like 2

I had to renew my daughter's UK passport before our return and covid made it very difficult to do it personally in Bangkok (was in Phuket) so I used an agent for the first time, and despite hassles with the VFS office closing during lockdown, it worked out fine. I used Key Visa in Pattaya and it was definitely worth it in this instance, especially as VFS won't post the new passports.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, RubbaJohnny said:

What is the approximate  turn around time, post from UK slower and both ends may be affected by lockdowns/staff of with Covid etc?

The website for UK passports applied for here states 11 weeks to get it. But it may be less than that.

6 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I've used Key Visa in pattaya to do this many times, i also live 4 hours out of BKK.

Think he charges 12K baht ( Passport is 5K ).

You renew your passport many times? It is a 10 year passport isn't it? ????

Edited by Chris.B

2 hours ago, Chris.B said:

You renew your passport many times? It is a 10 year passport isn't it? ????

Both of your statments are correct and in addition i have 2 x valid 48 page passports.]

Some of us travel to work many many times a year, a passport normally lasts me about 3-4 years, is that ok with you?

Anything else to say?

17 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I've used Key Visa in pattaya to do this many times, i also live 4 hours out of BKK.

Think he charges 12K baht ( Passport is 5K ).

Is this a total of 12K or 12K + 5K for the passport?

Seems like we are constantly f'd over - it used to be a chore to find someone to countersign for HK then you had a special package for the shipping - both ways by DHL, but it was easy enough. 

I did the same month that VFS first took over, before there were any agents - it was chaotic, and it was costly. My father did his within a couple of weeks, in the UK everything is online, you can use your iPad to take a photo and its accepted or declined on the spot, two weeks later he received it through the mail.

20 hours ago, Rambo said:

I would be seeking an agent to handle my Passport Application as I live almost 500 miles north of Bangkok. Suggestions for reliable agent would be appreciated

Would you be wanting the agent to also obtain the new visa for you?

There is an agency that does the British Passport changeover, but I do not think they do the visa's (because there English) but probably will have contacts.

They give their prices ectc on their site---and as you can only pay the embassy  by credit card you can use theirs, if you do not have.

https://www.keyvisathailand.com/services/renewing-uk-passport-thailand/

*** I just looked at their site they do -do Thai Visas also.

Edited by sanuk711

3 hours ago, recom273 said:

Is this a total of 12K or 12K + 5K for the passport?

Seems like we are constantly f'd over - it used to be a chore to find someone to countersign for HK then you had a special package for the shipping - both ways by DHL, but it was easy enough. 

I did the same month that VFS first took over, before there were any agents - it was chaotic, and it was costly. My father did his within a couple of weeks, in the UK everything is online, you can use your iPad to take a photo and its accepted or declined on the spot, two weeks later he received it through the mail.

Key Visa charge a straight 5000 baht for a UK passport renewal plus 100 baht fpr EMS posting of the passport.

3 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Key Visa charge a straight 5000 baht for a UK passport renewal plus 100 baht fpr EMS posting of the passport.

There is also a fee for the passport UK end which is payed when you apply. Around 80 pounds.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Andycoops said:

I was under the impression that the charge levied by Key visa in Pattaya was 5000 baht, plus the cost of your new passport.

Best call them to check.

Thats what Key visa charge, then there's the cost of the normal renewal uk end, plus carriage back to Thailand

31 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

48 page passport is £125 i think and key visa charged 5K i think.

I'm sure the number all in was about 12K.

Anyway it's less hassle and way cheaper to BKK and home ( twice ) for me.

Well, with kids, return flights to bangkok in these times, taxis to and from airports is gonna be alot more than 5k, for me at least when i need to do it.

Edited by PST

Latest  info last tme I looked  the fee is now 128.51 for a 48 page and key visa offer 5000 plus UK fee , they will pay the 128.51 for an additional 7k bahts f you dont have a debit/credit card they will also pay the UK office end etc. Plus postage inside thailand c100?

Edited by RubbaJohnny

On 9/21/2021 at 4:00 AM, rupert the bear said:

i renewed my 10 yr pp in bkk at vfs personally[start of oct] last year,it took almost 5 mnths for a simple renewal and when i got it[march] they even screwed that up ,i ordered the large type as i travel a lot.i received the standard one,i had called the pp office in uk many times and they know nothing its standard blurb we must do checks and run behind covid,i applied for compensation as they said if its over the allotted time i can,1st i was told 4 weeks then 2 mnths so......i applied for compo by email spent 30 mins filing out details and upon sending was told immediately by return mail i must do it in writing to southport or blackpool i cant remember,no reply and that was in april.prior to tek bull s^&t i had received new pps in a few days and later when put thru hk,my last application was in seoul.10 days,its disgusting.they wont be responsible for their actions and the whole things an insult.you cant contact anyone who can give u a straight answer or solve anything,i actually contacted my MP and they wernt able to help much but did try.its a farce.i just want someone to be responsible and pay up,the gov is very quick to make you responsible for your actions but it doesnt work the other way around.i actually pay UK tax,its worse than 3 rd world.thais can get a new pp in a week.im trying to apply for an irish pp now as my fathers side is irish.disgusting is the politest thing i can say.as for the scum in the embassy...just trying to contact them.....well weve all been there.they offered a paid service to send me back on emergency docs......as&^**es

If your request for compensation was anything like your post here they probably couldn't make any sense of it.

• Like 1