Non-O marriage - apply in UK vs in Thailand

I am currently in the UK. I am planning to move to Thailand soon. I have a Thai wife so will be able to go the Non-O / yearly extensions route.

I understand that I can either apply for the Non-O in the UK, or enter on a Tourist Visa and change that to a Non-O when in Thailand.

If I apply in the UK (ie. before leaving), presumably I don't have to submit photos of me with my wife in the house where we live (we don't have a house in Thailand yet), a map showing the location of the house, or my Thai bank book showing 40K balance (I don't have a Thai bank account yet). Rather, I would need to submit these when applying for my first 1 year extension.

However, if I enter on a Tourist Visa and change that to a Non-O once in Thailand, do I need to submit the photos, map and bank book when I apply for the Non-O, or are these only required when I apply for my first extension?

Thanks for your help

Required for first extension, apart from Bank account which you need for non O

If you enter tourist visa or visa exempt you can obtain extension if you need time to open bank account. Note that you can use an agent for that if needed.

Your going to need the bank account at some stage anyway.

Personally I would obtain the non O in Thailand. You would need 400k in Thai bank on the day you apply for the non O and have it in bank for 2 months for extension. 

You can obtain extension to visit wife (60day) if you need to buy time.

BTW if you obtain the non O in UK you will need the 40/400k insurance. Not needed for tourist and visa exempt entry.

Edit: Note ubonjoe correction to my post re insurance. Not required obtaining non O marriage in UK.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not required for a non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai. It is only needed for one based upon retirement.

My suggestion is to apply for the non-o visa online to the embassy in London. It is easy to get one based upon marriage. Only about the equivalent of 20k baht in the bank is needed to apply.

That way you would have more time to open a Bank account here. You will need 400k baht in a Thai for 2 months or proof of at least 2 months of transfers of at least 40k baht from abroad.

I thought that insurance was required for all types of Visa since 2019.  When my friend fill out is COE in March, they were asking for insurance and he had a Marriage Visa.  I am confused.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

I thought that insurance was required for all types of Visa since 2019.  When my friend fill out is COE in March, they were asking for insurance and he had a Marriage Visa.  I am confused.

That would of been the $100,000 covid 19 insurance coverage required for all entries to the country.

He was writing about the 40/400k baht medical insurance required for Non-OA and Non-OX visas that is now temporarily required when applying for a non-o visa based upon retirement at a embassy or official consulate.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

I personally wouldn't risk changing a Tourist Visa to non O in Thailand as Immigration could believe you entered on an incorrect basis. Much easier just to obtain the non O from the RTE in your own country

That is not true. Many people have done it and it is allowed under written rules.

Same for a visa exempt entry.

18 minutes ago, Roger That said:

Does anyone know what documents you have to send to the London Consulate for a non-O visa (Thai spouse) once the application has been completed online (with supporting documents attached electronically)? Is it just passport? I could not see clear guidance on this.

Effective the 26th of this month you do not need to send anything to the embassy. That is the day the stickerless visas start. They will send a email to you to show the airline and immigration when your arrive here.

There is a topic about it here. https://aseannow.com/topic/1231586-e-visa-stickerless-system-starting-on-september-27th-thai-embassy-usa-announcement/

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That would of been the $100,000 covid 19 insurance coverage required for all entries to the country.

He was writing about the 40/400k baht medical insurance required for Non-OA and Non-OX visas that is now temporarily required when applying for a non-o visa based upon retirement at a embassy or official consulate.

Covid 19 basically started in 2020, in my country Canada, I don't know any insurance companies that will insure you for Covid 19 only, they all want your money.  The reason they want every body insured is because to many people get into accidents or conditions and they cannot pick up the tab.  Am I wrong?  Thanks for your always valuable input.

10 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

Covid 19 basically started in 2020, in my country Canada, I don't know any insurance companies that will insure you for Covid 19 only, they all want your money.  The reason they want every body insured is because to many people get into accidents or conditions and they cannot pick up the tab.  Am I wrong?  Thanks for your always valuable input.

As I wrote the medical insurance is only required for certain visas for retirement for Thailand.

There are companies here in Thailand that offer the covid 19 insurance. I have one I got in April of last year and renewed it for another year.

The $$100,000 covid 19 insurance coverage is require for all entries. See this site. https://covid19.tgia.org/

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

As I wrote the medical insurance is only required for certain visas for retirement for Thailand.

There are companies here in Thailand that offer the covid 19 insurance. I have one I got in April of last year and renewed it for another year.

The $$100,000 covid 19 insurance coverage is require for all entries. See this site. https://covid19.tgia.org/

Thank you very much, I forgot about that one.  I checked that one before and they insured up to 99 years old and a good price.  Thanks for refreshing my memory.

On 9/20/2021 at 7:11 PM, ubonjoe said:

That is not required for a non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai. It is only needed for one based upon retirement.

My suggestion is to apply for the non-o visa online to the embassy in London. It is easy to get one based upon marriage. Only about the equivalent of 20k baht in the bank is needed to apply.

That way you would have more time to open a Bank account here. You will need 400k baht in a Thai for 2 months or proof of at least 2 months of transfers of at least 40k baht from abroad.

Ubonjoe, Is correct also if he only gets a 90 day non-o single entry based on marriage from the embassy in London, that he will only have to buy the covid-19 100,000 usd policy one time for the first 90 days?  Thank you

38 minutes ago, raptorea said:

Ubonjoe, Is correct also if he only gets a 90 day non-o single entry based on marriage from the embassy in London, that he will only have to buy the covid-19 100,000 usd policy one time for the first 90 days? 

You only need the covid 19 insurance for 90 days since that is permit to stay you get when entering the country.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Effective the 26th of this month you do not need to send anything to the embassy. That is the day the stickerless visas start. They will send a email to you to show the airline and immigration when your arrive here.

There is a topic about it here. https://aseannow.com/topic/1231586-e-visa-stickerless-system-starting-on-september-27th-thai-embassy-usa-announcement/

Does that apply to all locations or just applications from the USA? I haven't seen anything on the UK Embassy website and I note the poster was asking about applications to London.

11 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Does that apply to all locations or just applications from the USA? I haven't seen anything on the UK Embassy website and I note the poster was asking about applications to London.

It is for everywhere using the e visa site. This popup appears when you open the e visa site.

image.png.b4b3ab6eba4fe5cfd4be2ebc3721c6a8.png

• Thanks 1