Costs of forced repeated tests threaten Canadian Sandbox holiday

snoop1130

11 hours ago, bkk_bwana said:

Anyone that wants to travel during a pandemic and take a vacation needs to accept that rules and regulations, just as at home, are likely to change. I live in Bangkok. The rules for me to travel to Phuket, Samui, Ko Tao, Phi Phi, any of those places or other provinces have changed regularly over the last few months. 

Oh, you speak common sense? Judging by all the complainers here I thought it was an extinct language. I also live in Bangkok and have gone back and forth to the US during the pandemic. I made my choices and accept my responsibilities without pointing the finger. Change and confusion are a matter of course during these times. Anyone who needs to know how to deal with their particular situation has options that can be pursued to a resolution. It may take patience and be frustrating, but it can be done. I know what I can reasonably expect by now and am lucky to have the life I have. What Thai officials say and do in order to jump start tourism is really just their business and not mine. If they pursue fantasy, speculation, and magical thinking they have the right to do that. Then they have the accompanying right to fall on their faces. They don't need my opinion, and I don't have one. It's a sad and tragic situation and who can blame them for not having a quick cure? Let the chips fall, and I will adapt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smedly said:

my understanding is that proof of full vaccination was the max requirement

this couple were told - stay in the sand pit for 14 days then you are free to travel anywhere in Thailand just like you or me

but instead they are being treated like they are in a never ending sand pit - that is 100% incorrect, 14 days done and they are free to do what they want, it matters not a jot if they decide to book another SHA hotel - the restrictions tests etc no longer apply, from 14 days onwards the same rules apply to them as locals ............................................. it is very obvious someone is trying to rip them off - no surprise there 

Yes, same restrictions as to locals. Which depend on provincial requirements, often negative tests on entry.

2 hours ago, paahlman said:

Yes.. my understanding was simliar.. Or.. I thought that .. for example to go to Krabi from Phuket would require nothing on exit and nothing in Krabi, but that IF you wanted to go back to Phuket it was required a rapid test only if you are fully vaccinated that all in the sandbox have to be anyway.

If going to Bangkok.. I am not sure.. , but I do know a friend who drove from phuket to hat yai with no problems along the way. Only required a rapid test on reentry.. That said. The laws have a way of changing every week so one can not be sure.

it sounds to me like they are trying to keep this couple in a sort sandbox status for ever ................................. it was 14 days max or 7+7 then that was it, their effective status changed to exactly the same as me with no sandbox restrictions - that has not changed 14 days that's it

It seems that what they are trying to do is a sandbox repeat in another location - pity that they probably paid up front for a hotel and if they didn't I'd be telling them to stuff it - they can make their own way to their next destination and walk into a hotel just like I would do or you would do and book a room

• Like 1

I have no sympathy for these poor Canadian tourists. It is more punitive for domestic business than visitors and they have a choice to go elsewhere other than Thailand. Every time I get on a plane domestically it costs me an extra THB 7,000 just to fly and return to Phuket per person to run a business. It is a ridiculous expense and wastes considerable time. Hanging around a hospital waiting to get tested is just extra exposure to a Covid risk. So my sympathy is with other business people across Thailand that have to regularly undertake the hassle and the costs to get from point A to Point B simply to comply and keep their business operating in difficult circumstances.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

The bigger issue is the PCR Test costs, which are excessively expensive here and are a further deterrent to tourism. PCR tests are part of the new travel regime I'm afraid for at least the next year or two and I mean that on a global travel scale

yes maybe one but six in the space of 15 day is taking the ##

• Like 2

Rather fruitless for people posting here their "understandings."  Just read the requirements for a Certificate of Entry on your embassy's website and your "understandings" will be clarified.

With respect to the OP's post, he is either being ripped off or he just misunderstood.  To get your final Certificate of Entry, you have to show proof you have already paid for 3 PCR tests here....one upon arrival at the airport (you have to stay in your hotel room until those results are known...mine took 4 hours) and two more within the 14-day time period.  That's it as far as I know.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smedly said:

my understanding is that proof of full vaccination was the max requirement

this couple were told - stay in the sand pit for 14 days then you are free to travel anywhere in Thailand just like you or me

but instead they are being treated like they are in a never ending sand pit - that is 100% incorrect, 14 days done and they are free to do what they want, it matters not a jot if they decide to book another SHA hotel - the restrictions tests etc no longer apply, from 14 days onwards the same rules apply to them as locals ............................................. it is very obvious someone is trying to rip them off - no surprise there 

I thought it is 7 days with a few Covid swabs?

That's why Thailand chose an island because foreigners will be stranded there without any transportation out of the island .

If they chose Bangkok , then it is easy to escape a secluded area.

Edited by EricTh

2 hours ago, Wildliferescue said:

Instead of the expensive PCR test they can just do the antigen test, 600 Baht only. We all have to when we travel and when entering or leaving Phuket and Samui it is done in 20 minutes.

read the article - seems this couple are being asked to do sandbox over again after already completing it in Phuket - it is wrong, they are free to go wherever they like once the 14 days is done

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

I have no sympathy for these poor Canadian tourists. It is more punitive for domestic business than visitors and they have a choice to go elsewhere other than Thailand. Every time I get on a plane domestically it costs me an extra THB 7,000 just to fly and return to Phuket per person to run a business. It is a ridiculous expense and wastes considerable time. Hanging around a hospital waiting to get tested is just extra exposure to a Covid risk. So my sympathy is with other business people across Thailand that have to regularly undertake the hassle and the costs to get from point A to Point B simply to comply and keep their business operating in difficult circumstances.

Why do you pay 7000 baht to enter Phuket? Tests are about 400 baht, no hospital visit required as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bkk_bwana said:

People were told' they could travel to Thailand and back to the UK, and self quarantine. Then, the British government decided that Thailand was a 'red' country and Brits on holiday in Thailand had to change their planned self isolation at home to a state quarantine costing 2,000 GBP for 10 days.

We are in the middle of a pandemic. Things change all the time.

the sandbox has not changed

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gold Star said:

It is not a sand box, it is a sand trap!

Thailand is killing off their tourist industry, and is far from being ready for it.

With such brutal restrictions, mandatory costly testing, and stupid new rules popping up like sunscreen fines and enjoying alcohol, the only tourists that could enjoy themselves are those from Nocturnal Alcoholics Anonymous organizations.

Their money sting operation, wont affect tourism. They are being very careful not to let this information leak out in the world press.  

• Confused 2

14 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

get vaccinated and stop complaining

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Rather fruitless for people posting here their "understandings."  Just read the requirements for a Certificate of Entry on your embassy's website and your "understandings" will be clarified.

With respect to the OP's post, he is either being ripped off or he just misunderstood.  To get your final Certificate of Entry, you have to show proof you have already paid for 3 PCR tests here....one upon arrival at the airport (you have to stay in your hotel room until those results are known...mine took 4 hours) and two more within the 14-day time period.  That's it as far as I know.

did you read the article - they have already done everything you posted but are now being asked to do it again at their next destination

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I thought it is 7 days with a few Covid swabs?...

Given you haven't gone thru the COE process or entered the Phuket program, probably best to let those who have done so provide info.

Yes, 3 PCR tests are required during the 14-day (not 7) time period.  One at the airport on arrival, one on the 5th/6th day, and the third and last on the 11th/12th day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

The cost of the PCR tests wouldn’t bother me, it’s just that I’ve heard that they’re really painful. For anyone that’s had one, is that correct?

I think in China ( almost sure) they take an anal swab - I kid you not

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Given you haven't gone thru the COE process or entered the Phuket program, probably best to let those who have done so provide info.

Yes, 3 PCR tests are required during the 14-day (not 7) time period.  One at the airport on arrival, one on the 5th/6th day, and the third and last on the 11th/12th day.

and did you have to do it all again at your next destination ???????????

no didn't think so - everybody knows the general sandbox requirements - not what this topic is about

12 hours ago, bkk_bwana said:

Anyone that wants to travel during a pandemic and take a vacation needs to accept that rules and regulations, just as at home, are likely to change. I live in Bangkok. The rules for me to travel to Phuket, Samui, Ko Tao, Phi Phi, any of those places or other provinces have changed regularly over the last few months. 

Money outweighs rules and regulations. Regulations my back side. 

• Like 1