Medication

lelapin

I take a few different medications each day for heart and digestive problems and was wondering if it is advisable to take them before or after meals. I have tried checking on Google re each one but I have not been able to find consistent answers.

The particular ones I am interested in are :- 

Diovan   Omeprazole   Aspirin   Mevalotin   

Cod Liver Oil

Edited by lelapin

Just now, Kildonan said:

It's usual to take omeprazole once a day, first thing in the morning. It does not upset the stomach, so you can take it with or without food. If you take omeprazole twice a day, take 1 dose in the morning and 1 dose in the evening.

I take it when taking Antibiotics, or strong medications that "burn", my stomach lining. 

8 minutes ago, Kildonan said:

I take it when taking Antibiotics, or strong medications that "burn", my stomach lining. 

yes same... I used Omeprazole for years whilst on Ketapofen meds, for which the Dr will prescribe Omeprazole alongside the Ketaprofen; to 'counter' the 'burn' effect 

You need to provide details. Diovan alone has 4 variations in the way it is commonly administered in the United States. On the random dosages I checked at drugs.com, it said it can be taken with or without food.

Go to drugs.com, type in the exact drug name, check in the dosage section for when to take. Also, you should always do the interactive check (as somebody did for you here) as Thai doctors seem remarkably indifferent to this matter. 

• Like 1

If you take a look at drugs.com it tells you what the official position. There is a section for the layman and a section for the professionals.

In one of the diovan versions it says "may be administered with or without food". In that situation, it is up to you. Do you feel nausea then try the other way. They have feedback from patients that state the side effects of the drugs. 

• Like 1

The omeprazole should ideally be taken just before a meal https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1046/j.1365-2036.2000.00829.x

Aspirin should be taken on a full stomach i.e. right after eating to minimize gastric irritation

The others can be taken with or without food as you prefer. But you should try to take them at the same time each day

• Like 2