Thai wife died - Marriage visa expires on Oct 30 - What are my options? Have a Thai child.

1 minute ago, Eibot said:

I tried this visa once in Phuket and they told me I needed sole custody over my child. As in, the mother needed to give up custody in court and give me it for 100%. 

Is this a different visa than a guardian visa?

Phuket is calling a extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai a guardian visa. A guardian visa does not exist.

There is no written rule that you have to have full custody of your child. Many people have gotten a extension with joint custody after a divorce.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Phuket is calling a extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai a guardian visa. A guardian visa does not exist.

There is no written rule that you have to have full custody of your child. Many people have gotten a extension with joint custody after a divorce.

Interesting. Phuket immigration does not give this visa (at least to me) without sole custody over the child. However, I am married still, so maybe this makes  the  differents?

On 9/24/2021 at 11:49 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Huh?  "Could of"?  I don't understand what "could of" means, it doesn't make sense. 

Same as 'would of' in a previous poster's reply!    555

Edited by KannikaP

11 minutes ago, Eibot said:

Interesting. Phuket immigration does not give this visa (at least to me) without sole custody over the child. However, I am married still, so maybe this makes  the  differents?

They were probably trying to push you to apply for a extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon marriage.

• Like 1

Thank you for pointing this out. I understand that not all offices are the same so this is just my Chiang Rai experience.  I was not awarded sole custody or guardianship in the divorce papers as at the time just not aware of the requirement by local immigration here.  Therefore I was not allowed the parent of thai child arrangement .  Told to go to the District court and get the guardianship/sole custody awarded to me, even tho the child and i lived together in same house.   Thought that going to court would be very expensive and did not want to antagonize the ex.,   Hope the OP doesn't encounter this headache.

On 9/23/2021 at 3:01 PM, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai. 

Crikey I remember way back in 2006-7, I think, where I got a 12 month extension based on a Thai child supporting me. Honestly.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

30 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Crikey I remember way back in 2006-7, I think, where I got a 12 month extension based on a Thai child supporting me. Honestly.

Without digging up the old immigration order issued in 2006 that was rescinded 2008. It had a clause that allowed a extension if 50 or over similar to that.

There is a line in the clause for marriage and being the the parent of Thai that mentions being supported by your child if 50 or over. But I am not aware of anybody getting it.

This from clause 2.18.

"In case the father of mother requests to be under maintenance of children, the age of father or mother must be 50 years of age or over."

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I am not aware of anybody getting it

I did and still have my old passport verifying this. The Officer that gave it me was Khun Arcade based, at the time, the old TOT(immigration) office 12km outside of Korat. For that extension there was not supposed to be a show of money but Khun Arcade insisted I had to show some as how can I have no money for living expenses. We agreed at 200,000 Baht at the time. Even though money wasn't a requirement to get this extension. Soon thereafter the thing was scrapped, as per the Thai way. Pun intended.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I was referring to the new order done in 2014 has that line a clause in it.

The one you got ended in 2008.

Yep definitely finished after I obtained it. Just a quicky as to why I went for that extension at the time. I had a friend who stayed here by crossing the border at Cheong Chom every month. No show of money needed. We'd heard that this crossing the border every month was going to be cancelled and they were going to install this 'support by a Thai child' clause. This would help my friend tremendously as he was looking after his 2 sons and his wife had ran off. 

So I volunteered to test the waters and get the new 'extension' so my friend could stay here as he had no form of income other than what he got from selling catfish to the locals. He didn't get the extension in the end and was kicked out. He took his kids with him back to S Africa.