Thai wife died - Marriage visa expires on Oct 30 - What are my options? Have a Thai child.

My wife passed away earlier this year.

I'm currently on a marriage visa that expires end of October. I'm going to assume I can't renew it. I'm 29 years old so retirement visa is out.
What other visa options do I have to stay in the country with my Thai daughter? She's 3 years old and me leaving the country right now would mean huge hurdles.

I don't have a Thai work permit. All my income is generated in a US bank account.
I have 75k a month coming in via international transfer to my Thai bank each month (if this helps).

Thanks

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Sory the hear about your loss.

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage. 

You will need your daughter birth certificate and a copy. And a copy of her house book registry.

The 400k baht will only need to be in the bank on the day your apply. Or can use the 40k baht income option.

Immigration may also want to see your wife's deathbed certificate.

"You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage".

After her death?   

My sincere condolences on your loss.

I don't wish to hijack the thread but I was looking at child support visa but for different reasons.

I looked at the website of one of the visa agents recommended on this site and the list of requirements was far more than just birth certificate and house papers.

According the agent web site also required was pictures of parent and child at house, at school with teachers and various other stuff seemed to make it even more complicated than a normal marriage visa.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Sory the hear about your loss.

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai. 

You will need your daughters birth certificate and a copy. And a copy of her house book registry.

The 400k baht will only need to be in the bank on the day your apply. Or can use the 40k baht income option.

Immigration may also want to see your wife's deathbed certificate.

does immigration want the farang to change the ext of stay right away after her death or can it wait until the expiry date of the marriage ext?

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I think it's down to appearance and attitude, If you turn up looking like you have just left the bar and not had a shave for a week, I have lived here for 25 years and if I have to go there I always make the effort, Thats just me 

Agreed, i am a bit old school, for a pre planned visit to any gov dept its always long trousers, ask things in a polite way, never get bolshy when you are asking for advice, and always a smile and a Wai will come your way, being old school i at 72 still open doors for ladies, walk on the roadside when on the pavement with the Mrs, and always take the weight on my elbows.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Almer said:

You live and learn, i was always under the impression you had to let IO know in a timely manor. 

Not for a extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai. If you have ever completed and signed a STM2 (conditions for a permit to stay) you would of seen this on it.

image.png.2475a4fcddf0c3251714c16cb0b5d8cb.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Almer said:

Agreed, i am a bit old school, for a pre planned visit to any gov dept its always long trousers

I remember watching episodes of The 3 Stooges and how they derided Curly for wearing "short pants", as this is obviously only something a child would do. That was the 1940's and times have certainly changed...

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Huh?  "Could of"?  I don't understand what "could of" means, it doesn't make sense. 

Ah, yes, adapting that highly flexible word "of" to be a verb used as an alternative for the verb "to have".

I am sure you already know this, but could have is often abbreviated to could've in spoken speech, particularly by those using certain dialects. Often, the pronunciation is almost identical to "could of".

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Daffy D said:

My sincere condolences on your loss.

I don't wish to hijack the thread but I was looking at child support visa but for different reasons.

I looked at the website of one of the visa agents recommended on this site and the list of requirements was far more than just birth certificate and house papers.

According the agent web site also required was pictures of parent and child at house, at school with teachers and various other stuff seemed to make it even more complicated than a normal marriage visa.  

My friend also has to get a letter from the school.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

My friend also has to get a letter from the school.

It varies from office to office as to what is needed. They often request more when the father and mother were never married and the father has legalized his parenthood by having it legalized.

In the OP's case they may not want want it since he is now the only living parent of his child. 

Condolences, sounds like your agent has it under control.

I switched to the guardian visa after a divorce, I submitted to Phuket each year; 

The divorce agreement we registered at the local district office, a new copy every year even though it has never changed.

The usual copies of the passport pages with your extensions back to the original O visa, and 2 photos

The child's birth certificate. I also gave them a letter from the school which probably is not necessary.

The bank letter and statement which has to agree with your bank book. I transferred the B400K a week before. 

3 pictures, only problem I had was the lad was  topless in his bathers beside the pool in one photo, did not accept that, but did not ask for a replacement. I normally had 3 photos, one inside the house and 2 outside, one with the house number in the background.

I  found the volunteers in Phuket very friendly and helpful, the Thai processing my application the first year called me a cheap Charlie for not going to the B800K retirement visa. Later years I had a woman who was more friendly even when I got the wrong divorce document one year.

I have one question my lad goes off to university overseas next year and will still monetary need support, does that qualify? I am guessing if he is not in Thailand it will not, so started the B65K a month retirement after last years visa was issued just in case.

12 minutes ago, Rawairat said:

I have one question my lad goes off to university overseas next year and will still monetary need support, does that qualify? I am guessing if he is not in Thailand it will not, so started the B65K a month retirement after last years visa was issued just in case.

You would not qualify since your child will not be living with you.

You were wise to start transferring  the 65k baht into the country.

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2021 at 3:13 PM, Rawairat said:

Condolences, sounds like your agent has it under control.

I switched to the guardian visa after a divorce, I submitted to Phuket each year; 

The divorce agreement we registered at the local district office, a new copy every year even though it has never changed.

The usual copies of the passport pages with your extensions back to the original O visa, and 2 photos

The child's birth certificate. I also gave them a letter from the school which probably is not necessary.

The bank letter and statement which has to agree with your bank book. I transferred the B400K a week before. 

3 pictures, only problem I had was the lad was  topless in his bathers beside the pool in one photo, did not accept that, but did not ask for a replacement. I normally had 3 photos, one inside the house and 2 outside, one with the house number in the background.

I  found the volunteers in Phuket very friendly and helpful, the Thai processing my application the first year called me a cheap Charlie for not going to the B800K retirement visa. Later years I had a woman who was more friendly even when I got the wrong divorce document one year.

I tried this visa once in Phuket and they told me I needed sole custody over my child. As in, the mother needed to give up custody in court and give me it for 100%. 

Is this a different visa than a guardian visa?

• Thanks 1