Storm Warning 24-26 September 2021

Chris.B

Just had a text message from TMDTel1182 through AIS. Don't know how they have my mobile number.

ระวัง 24-26 กย.64พายุเข้าอีสาน เหนือ กลาง มีฝนหนัก-เสี่ยงน้ำท่วม/อุตุฯ

Be careful, 24-26 September 64, the storm hits the northeast, the north, the middle, heavy rain - risk of flooding / meteorology

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

We have already had storms of heavy rain for the last week or so. 

... but I didn't get a government warning for those so what is coming must be something on another scale altogether. Don't disregard, I have seen the movie!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

... but I didn't get a government warning for those so what is coming must be something on another scale altogether. Don't disregard, I have seen the movie!

Well I missed sunami in the south of Thailand by 3 days but what will be will be. 

49 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Just had a text message from TMDTel1182 through AIS. Don't know how they have my mobile number.

Welcome to the club. Same happened to me. Also no idea why.

BUT:

wife says she also got.

So it think it's a warning SMS to all in a region through the mobile providers.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Yes... Yesterday weatherunderground was predicting 53mm of rain for tomorrow but now shows 17mm. Because the storm sustem has spread out which is what happens when a system hits landfall. The storm gets much wider but lowers in intensity making the rainfall spread out over a wider area instead.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

Yes... Yesterday weatherunderground was predicting 53mm of rain for tomorrow but now shows 17mm. Because the storm sustem has spread out which is what happens when a system hits landfall. The storm gets much wider but lowers in intensity making the rainfall spread out over a wider area instead.

Why the government warning then? 

24 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Why the government warning then? 

Because it will still dump the same amount of rain, just over a wider distance and the water will make it to you regardless eventually. It all depends on the size of your catchment area.

For example, where i live we have a catchment area of over 100km radius, so rain falling 100KM away will always make its way eventually to our city.

So even though the rainfall decreased for that day in this area it is now falling across a much wider area and all that water will instead of creating a flood quicker it will be more gradual as the runoff accumulates but that flood we will still get.Our two local dams are already at full capacity and have been letting out water for a week, the levels in the city are massively high and the water table is peaked out so the ground can't soak any up so runoff will be quick and relentless as it makes its way towards us.

But what is going to do us in, is the fact that the main dam for the province is not letting out water at the moment but is bursting at the seams and we know eventually they will have no choice and when coupled with the fact we still have best part of a month of monsoon season left and everthing is topped up to the max, then a major flood is almost imminent.

I remember the flood of 2010 where a usual 10 minute drive tirned into a 4 hour adventure wading it water up to the chest through the streets of Korat city.  inlaw's house was slightly flooded and sister in law's house was 3 feet of water in the living room... This is coming again...

I keep warning the inlaws to get prepared, move stuff to higer parts of the house, but they won't listen till it is lapping at their front door.

Edited by Brewster67