Name the top three cuisines in restaurants that you want to see open in Pattaya

Jingthing

1. A German Restaurant that offers Potato Dumplings as a side dish. Even old institutions in Bangkok do not, let alone Pattaya. Have always to make it myself at home- which is so easy that I wonder why they dont do it.

2. A Japanese Restaurant that offers a real decent Japanese Sukiyaki (there is a superb one for sushi but they do not serve Sukiyaki, a Japanese Sukiyaki, NOT a Thai "Sukiyaki")

3. An Italian Restaurant that offers a real wood fired oven Napolitan Pizza with decent size (which is more than 30 cm), decent and enough toppings (example: for a four season there need to be artichokes present and not just tiny fragments of it, must be accompanied by peperoncini in olive oil, at least a black pepper mill and a restaurant that offers Tomato Ketchup to go with it will never see me again). Regardless of price (I know the real ingredients are expensive here).

.....and if I may be so impertinent to add one more: A restaurant offering a real Wiener Schnitzel (made with Veal, like here in Vienna: *https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1arGcHTQHaA. Sorry Video in German but the pictures will do I think (its worth watching).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewGuy said:

Ethiopian (injera in Bangkok and Phnom Penh are favourites)

Malaysian (really varied, love Sarawak laksa - not sweet)

Cajun (difficult with local seafood being so poor)

Is there really an Ethiopian restaurant still existing in Bangkok?

If so can you provide a link?

This place does gumbo at least sometimes. I've had it. It's good.

https://m.facebook.com/cajunlifecafe/

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

We have all those here but probably not a specifically Cantonese restaurant. 

Did.noone read the OP?

interesting question.

I guess except for some highly exotic cuisines, all is present in one form or another in Pattaya.

I would rather say "one form or another" is not satisfactory.

For example, saying "Chinese Cuisine" - China is huge with a huge choice of food, but then most "Chinese" restaurants in Pattaya offer "southern Chinese" cuisine which is very close to Thai cuisine and, as Thai cuisine, mostly consists of seafood. we could agree that MK is Chinese cuisine and that Nam Sing is Chinese too.

Center and northern Chinese cuisine based on pork, beef, chicken, duck, noodles, rice, etc. is rare in Pattaya, or even inexistent if as me you aren't the type of guy who will blow 2k at the Royal Cliff restaurant to get his fill of Cantonese rice and Peking Duck.

I had a *superb* Peking Duck in *Geneva* years back for about 500 baht per person... in Pattaya? no...

Vietnam.

Since the poor guy on Thappraya had to close, I don't know where to go for Vietnamese cuisine. Where to get a good phô ?

Grilled Chicken.

This may sound strange, as there are many sellers around town, but I mean "European grilled Chicken" with salt, pepper and herbs, not the sweet tasting Thai product.

another grilled dish - grilled German pork leg.

years ago, the German Garden in Naklua was the only restaurant where it was on offer, but it closed long ago before covid.

now... the non-grilled and instead oil-fried Ersatz is often disgusting.

When we went, 5 or 7 times, there were Ethiopian staff diners plus mainly young westerners, backpackers or Thong Lor exiles, haha. The one on Suk 3, closed now, again had western customers in the main, but the newish one across the Soi in a 8-10 story building, the one time we went, were Middle Eastern males who favoured very loud music - we were the only ones there for the food. Even though the young guys were apologetic about the sound level and offered to turn it off, we left because, well …. they were there first. Friendly place.

Not sure what is left in Pattaya now after pandemic closures, but one I don't think was there before:  Mayan food.  Are there any "Canadian" restaurants serving a good poutine and Tourtière? And, what about Hawaiian?

In a list form:

1. Mayan

2. Canadian

3. Hawaiian