Name the top three cuisines in restaurants that you want to see open in Pattaya

Jingthing

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sod the poncy up market national cuisines. Give me a hot dog speciality resto, a good British style pie, mash and mushy peas resto, and a place that serves proper fish and chips, instead of the flavourless muck I always got served, plus all the tartare sauce I want, instead of one of those minute bowls full.

The chippies come and go..... I have known a few over they years, Jolly Friar was good, and what was that place on 2nd Rd roughly opposite New Plaza? Eventually the farang owner leaves things to the local staff or his wife, and standards slip. Went in one place and his wife seemed to be doing ironing in the main dining room! And heaven forbid that mushy local fish they serve up...... 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NewGuy said:

That Pattaya Tai @ 2nd road place was closed down when a bunch of store fronts turned into unsuccessful massage-drug store-etc outlets five years ago, or more. It was Swiss, I loved their schnitzel and rosti. Other plates too. Lots of family drama from the wife but everyday a bunch of older Swissies chewed the fat outside.

The place I was referring to definitely was German. "Der" something with a German flag on the sign I recall the whole sign was done in the colours of the German flag actually).
Looking at Google Maps it's been gone since at least 2012, replaced by the Raj Indian Restaurant (I think it changed a couple years before that actually, maybe between 2008-2010.  I remember searching around, hoping it had re-opened somewhere else (with the same name) but no luck.
I used to make it a point to go there at least once each holiday (when I was on a 3/1 rotation in Afghanistan) for their "roast pork loin with Spätzle". Then one year it was gone.

Tried the Swiss place on Soi Diamond a couple of times, but their roast pork didn't taste quite as nice. The cheese fondue was nice though.

I see on-line TripAdvisor maps that The Raj was on Pattaya Tai between Beach Road and 2nd road. Zum Simple used to be (about) there, it was good. The place I remember as Swiss was on Pattaya Tai about 50 feet east of 2nd Road.

On 9/26/2021 at 2:56 AM, Saddic said:

Closest I've found is JJ Springroll... but they are basically spring rolls, egg rolls, and bahn mi... No Pho or other soup...

Saw a recent FB post from JJ Springroll... They are offering Pho...  Someone plz go try it and post a review...  (gonna be a few months before I can get back to try)...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Saddic said:

Saw a recent FB post from JJ Springroll... They are offering Pho...  Someone plz go try it and post a review...  (gonna be a few months before I can get back to try)...

Thanks for that. I'd be surprised if it isn't at least somewhat decent as their other food is.

On 9/25/2021 at 6:48 PM, Jingthing said:

Is there really an Ethiopian restaurant still existing in Bangkok?

If so can you provide a link?

This place does gumbo at least sometimes. I've had it. It's good.

https://m.facebook.com/cajunlifecafe/

https://www.foodpanda.co.th/restaurant/dz4t/taye-ethiopian-restaurant      Still open and still really good.  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d8138686-Reviews-Taye_Ethiopian_Restaurant-Bangkok.html

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2021 at 11:42 AM, John Drake said:

Polynesian Long Pig?

When I read your post, I immediately thought of a Maori "hangi."  I'm not Maori, or Kiwi, but have been to a few hangi in my time.  Seeing how they do it is entertaining, and the the meat when it comes out just falls off the bone.    

Could be a good business here.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hāngi

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Leaver said:

When I read your post, I immediately thought of a Maori "hangi."  I'm not Maori, or Kiwi, but have been to a few hangi in my time.  Seeing how they do it is entertaining, and the the meat when it comes out just falls off the bone.    

Could be a good business here.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hāngi

That nose rubbing malarkey will be strictly off limits.

• Haha 1

Jingthing, that’s the one I’ve been speaking of.

I had a great experience there just months after the last coup. Remember, the police were well below the army. At the beginning of our injera meal, a couple of army vehicles and a Black Maria pulled into the Soi, stopping opposite the restaurant. There was one police nco among them. Starting at the dead end, soldiers went into each floor of each building, hotels, restaurants etc., checking everybody’s credentials. About 35 people ended up in the paddy wagon, for visa issues I bet. While we were eating an armed soldier stood next to us for about 45 minutes. The building was given a thorough check, anybody who was considered dicey was questioned in the place next door then either set free or put in the wagon. I offered the soldier a beer - a shake ‘no’ of the head. Most taken away were Arabic. Better than before when we had to side slip past drug dealers at the soi’s entrance.

• Haha 1