Name the top three cuisines in restaurants that you want to see open in Pattaya

Jingthing

19 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

Not sure what is left in Pattaya now after pandemic closures, but one I don't think was there before:  Mayan food.  Are there any "Canadian" restaurants serving a good poutine and Tourtière? And, what about Hawaiian?

In a list form:

1. Mayan

2. Canadian

3. Hawaiian

Mayan?

No.

Poutine?

There was a food stall in Tree town doing that. Is it still there?

Hawaiian? Not really. 

Edited by Jingthing

1. Need a good Mexican tamale stall for breakfast. Rojo, Verde, and some oaquenos.  Some chilaquiles as well.

2. NE Indian food such as Naga with the infamous 

chili Naga jolokia.

3. Scottish with haggis, Lorne sausage and deep fried mars bars.

Wash her all down with a wee dram of Don Julio.

Edited by neytil
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Real Chinese (not the "British" Chinese like we have now) with real Dim Sum. I've tried a couple (Thai ? Chinese ?) Chinese restaurants and was very disappointed.

Real German restaurants. Used to be a good one right near the South Pattaya/#2 Road intersection. Most of the rest are "sort of German" with food that has German names but not real "German" flavour or aroma.

Real Breakfast restaurants (like Smitty's or iHop). Ones that serve not only an assortment of eggs (with choices of real bacon or pork sausages, hash browns, etc) but also waffles and pancakes. Places where the toast (made from stale bread) doesn't arrive 5 minutes before the meal and is already cold while the butter is frozen. Where they don't use small "wieners" instead of actual sausages and wouldn't dare serve ham slices heated in water.

More A&W restaurants would be nice, as would some proper Wendy's and/or Jack in the Box restaurants.

There's 3 Tim Horton's in Bangkok now. Be nice if they put a couple in Pattaya as well. Would love some "proper" coffee instead of all the "instant" and "espresso" <deleted> that is usually served around here. Sheesh, we had a "Timmies" in our camps in Kabul and Kandahar ! They'd surely give some of the "donut" shops here a run for their money !

• Haha 1

Sod the poncy up market national cuisines. Give me a hot dog speciality resto, a good British style pie, mash and mushy peas resto, and a place that serves proper fish and chips, instead of the flavourless muck I always got served, plus all the tartare sauce I want, instead of one of those minute bowls full.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Real German restaurants. Used to be a good one right near the South Pattaya/#2 Road intersection. Most of the rest are "sort of German" with food that has German names but not real "German" flavour or aroma.

Don't know if it's still there, but if ever up in Chiang Mai check out the Montha hotel off Loi Kroh. It had a genuine German resto run by a genuine German next door.

• Thanks 1

That Pattaya Tai @ 2nd road place was closed down when a bunch of store fronts turned into unsuccessful massage-drug store-etc outlets five years ago, or more. It was Swiss, I loved their schnitzel and rosti. Other plates too. Lots of family drama from the wife but everyday a bunch of older Swissies chewed the fat outside.

Indonesian ! Surprizingly. Or does anybody know an Indonesian restaurant where you could have a full scale Rijsttafel ? Recommendations are more than welcome.

Or even much more surprizingly: Decent Indian - although they outnumber any other cuisine - but I am not talking about the quantity but quality, setting etc.

And a Chinese Restaurant offering the full course sophisticated Peking Duck with skin & pancakes, soup and meat seperately.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sucit said:

I want to eat Laos food all the time. I am actually amazed Thailand has so few good Laos places, at least as far as I can tell. 

Lao Kitchen, Terminal 21, 3rd. floor - Nem Nuong is very reasonable and good (although this goes under "Vietnamese")

A good authentic  Greek, Turkish and Lebanese would be my 3.

Also, being a lover of Indian food, would like to see Sri Lanka  and Nepal restaurants here.

I know there are some already here in Pattaya but far from authentic.

Edited by hackjam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

Indonesian ! Surprizingly. Or does anybody know an Indonesian restaurant where you could have a full scale Rijsttafel ? Recommendations are more than welcome.

Or even much more surprizingly: Decent Indian - although they outnumber any other cuisine - but I am not talking about the quantity but quality, setting etc.

And a Chinese Restaurant offering the full course sophisticated Peking Duck with skin & pancakes, soup and meat seperately.

http://thediffrestaurant.com/

Has full rice table 

https://m.facebook.com/Trindys-Indonesian-Foods-103811118376701/

Not sure if they do a formal full rice table 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d10802709-Reviews-Fu_Man_Lou-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Has Peking Duck. Not sure how they serve.

• Thanks 1

Last weekend there was a G7 meeting of paliamentary house leaders held in Chorley in Lancashire. UK House of Commons Speaker Lindsay Hoyle hosted the meeting and US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was one of the guests.

They were all treated to traditional Lancashire fayre including Lancashire hotpot, Goosnargh duck, butter pies and Chorley cakes. Add in Morecambe Bay potted shrimps, Bury black pudding, Lancashire cheese, Eccles cakes, pig's trotters and dressed tripe you have the makings of a great menu.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, champers said:

Last weekend there was a G7 meeting of paliamentary house leaders held in Chorley in Lancashire. UK House of Commons Speaker Lindsay Hoyle hosted the meeting and US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was one of the guests.

They were all treated to traditional Lancashire fayre including Lancashire hotpot, Goosnargh duck, butter pies and Chorley cakes. Add in Morecambe Bay potted shrimps, Bury black pudding, Lancashire cheese, Eccles cakes, pig's trotters and dressed tripe you have the makings of a great menu.

I can eat all of that apart from the Tripe & Trotters, tried em both but not a fan, and I'm a London boy born & bred, 12 years in the army introduced me to many cuisines ????

52 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

FooManLou  (2nd rd, just before Soi 6/1 & Soi 6, and across from Bangkok Bank)

They appear to be closer to ethnic Chinese than the British Chinky places...

I tried their beef stew noodle soup, it was very good, but pricey...

Their menu looks similar to what I'm looking for too.  They have a LARGE array of dishes, and hotpot items...

I appear to have branches in Singapore , but may just be the same name (although the menu's look similar)...

They just gave a facelift to their store front...

Regarding Peking Duck...  Unfortunately, the place at the Cliff, and the place in the hotel by the dophin circle are both closed due to covid...  Their web pages are still up, and they look very pricey...

Cheers

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

http://thediffrestaurant.com/

Has full rice table 

https://m.facebook.com/Trindys-Indonesian-Foods-103811118376701/

Not sure if they do a formal full rice table 

............Indian by nature (placeholder)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d10802709-Reviews-Fu_Man_Lou-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Has Peking Duck. Not sure how they serve.

Thanks for the information. Will have to check it out. Unfortunately the Tripadvisor entries for Fu_Man_ Lu are a bit outdated. Not sure if this one is still open at all.

But indeed there is an Indonesian Restaurant (The Diff) ! Surprize. Will have to check. Trindys is only on Facebook. Their problem.

Safest bet is Indian by Nature I guess. Have passed there many times by car and have actually forgotten to try it out once.

Edited by moogradod

2 minutes ago, Saddic said:

FooManLou  (2nd rd, just before Soi 6/1 & Soi 6, and across from Bangkok Bank)

They appear to be closer to ethnic Chinese than the British Chinky places...

I tried their beef stew noodle soup, it was very good, but pricey...

Their menu looks similar to what I'm looking for too.  They have a LARGE array of dishes, and hotpot items...

I appear to have branches in Singapore , but may just be the same name (although the menu's look similar)...

They just gave a facelift to their store front...

Regarding Peking Duck...  Unfortunately, the place at the Cliff, and the place in the hotel by the dophin circle are both closed due to covid...  Their web pages are still up, and they look very pricey...

Cheers

I get delivery from there often.

They have a variety of styles such as Sichuan and Northern Chinese wheat based foods.

Weirdly the same place is on multiple apps under different names including:

<deleted> man lou

Chinese food

Beijing food 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Vietnamese.

amen...

ALL of the places around pty have since closed down...  Although most of the attempts were closer to boat noodle variations then Viet soup noodles...

Closest I've found is JJ Springroll... but they are basically spring rolls, egg rolls, and bahn mi... No Pho or other soup...

2 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Thanks for the information. Will have to check it out. Unfortunately the Tripadvisor entries for Fu_Man_ Lu are a bit outdated. Not sure if this one is still open at all.

But indeed there is an Indonesian Restaurant (The Diff) ! Surprize. Will have to check. Trindys is only on Facebook. Their problem.

Safest bet is Indian by Nature I guess. Have passed there many times by car and have actually forgotten to try it out once.

I ate delivery from <deleted> Man Lou today and yesterday. 

• Thanks 1

OK..

I have a boner to pick about many of the responses here.

This topic is about MISSING cuisines, etc.

that Pattaya doesn't already have.

Your choices could be overall national cuisines such as Brazilian, a more specific regional cuisine such as Hokkien Chinese, or a specialty food category such as an empenada shop.

So people saying stuff like Indian restaurants, Chinese restaurants, or Vietnamese restaurants aren't getting the point as those exist. You might not like them but they exist.

But it is on point to say you want to see a good Pho restaurant because we don't have that.

Now that Tequila Reef is apparently gone I would like to see another Mexican restaurant.  Is that little Taco Taco shack on that side soi beside Pattaya Klang still opened?  I went there a couple times.  It was ok but nothing special.

Edited by shdmn

On 9/24/2021 at 9:13 PM, banglay said:

Really ? where in Ethiopia did you eat ???? I have travelled extensively there  and was not impressed with local fayre .. it had a lot to be desired...   where did you eat??? and what did you eat???

It's <deleted> Ethiopian food...as is most Jamaican food...Wish it wasn't awful but it is