Pick up Truck - MG Extender 4x2

hhtown

4 hours ago, jaiyenyen said:

Let me start by saying that I've owned an MG Extender (Hate that name) since December 2019. Initially I had some issues, which were not MG's fault. Ant's had got into a couple of relays and rats decided to eat parts of the engine. The problems I had were with a couple of dealerships. I finally found a dealership near my home, which gives me great service.

I find the build quality is equal to other trucks I've owned (A Toyota and two Mazdas).

I think that a lot of the criticism of the MG Extender comes from people who have never sat in, or closely inspected one. Either that, or they just don't like the idea of anything Chinese.

Opinions are like a**holes.....We all have one, but I think it's unfair and a little short sighted to dismiss a truck on the basis of who owns the parent company.

The Extender is a 100% Chinese Maxus truck with MG bling. 

That's it, I personally have no confidence in anything 100% Chinese made. 

The MG thing is just a smoke screen, go look at the back of your truck, you have a partial Union Jack with BRIT written on it.....????

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, transam said:

The Extender is a 100% Chinese Maxus truck with MG bling. 

That's it, I personally have no confidence in anything 100% Chinese made. 

The MG thing is just a smoke screen, go look at the back of your truck, you have a partial Union Jack with BRIT written on it.....????

People never change my Dad wouldn't buy German or Japanese products after he came back from the war and look what people now after theirs Histories.

The Chinese have got up to date in technology and can sell it cheap no western countries like that. 

Sounds like Genghis Khan has never been forgive as others. ????????????????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

People never change my Dad wouldn't buy German or Japanese products after he came back from the war and look what people now after theirs Histories.

The Chinese have got up to date in technology and can sell it cheap no western countries like that. 

Sounds like Genghis Khan has never been forgive as others. ????????????????

But, but, I have a pile of Chinese electric drills that gave up in short order, at least they didn't have an MG badge though...????

• Like 1

Don't know about their truck, which I almost bought, but didn't want manual transmission (or diesel, as never owned). 

We did get MG ZS, which I refer to as a 'lite' SUV ????  in size, features, and best of all ... price.  Others refer to it as a 'poor man's SUV'.

Don't use the features of the ZS, so don't need to pay the silly price for a larger, option packed competitors' model.

Chinese made is simply a huge plus, as MG was going bankrupt for a reason, they put out c r a p.  Brother was a big fan of MG in the past, loved the styling, hated the break downs and constant repair.

Actually bought from the HH dealer, and they are pretty decent, as dealers go.  Really loving the ZS, and had for just over a year.  Put 20k on it in less than 6 months, with no issues. 

If in the market for a truck, MG would be my first choice, price wise, as not out to impress anyone, since way too practical for that.  I keep things till they die, or give to family (daughter got my Mazda).  If a new car person every couple years, then resale value may lean you toward another brand.

(Didn't bother reading page 2 or 3 of the thread)

Edited by KhunLA

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Chinese made is simply a huge plus, as MG was going bankrupt for a reason, they put out c r a p.  Brother was a big fan of MG in the past, loved the styling, hated the break downs and constant repair.

I give an OK on China bringing and using the MG name. 

I owed an MGB and it was one of most reliable and comfortable well made car I've owned. 

I've never knew anyone who owned one say otherwise.

43 minutes ago, transam said:

But, but, I have a pile of Chinese electric drills that gave up in short order, at least they didn't have an MG badge though...????

But but and but ???? I understand buddy you have the hump with Chinese because Pontiac's built in China have 15% Chinese parts. ???????????????? 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Don't know about their truck, which I almost bought, but didn't want manual transmission (or diesel, as never owned). 

We did get MG ZS, which I refer to as a 'lite' SUV ????  in size, features, and best of all ... price.  Others refer to it as a 'poor man's SUV'.

Don't use the features of the ZS, so don't need to pay the silly price for a larger, option packed competitors' model.

Actually bought from the HH dealer, and they are pretty decent, as dealers go.  Really loving the ZS, and had for just over a year.  Put 20k on it in less than 6 months, with no issues. 

If in the market for a truck, MG would be my first choice, price wise, as not out to impress anyone, since way too practical for that.  I keep things till they die, or give to family (daughter got my Mazda).  If a new car person every couple years, then resale value may lean you toward another brand.

(Didn't bother reading page 2 or 3 of the thread)

I believe British Leyland stopped using the MG brand name 50 years back on their tweaked rides. It was British Leyland that failed......  ????

Rover, which included the MG name, was sold to BMW, the Chinese bought the MG badge from BMW to help sell Chinese rides...

I must add, even though half a century back, MG sports cars were good fun for the era...????

Your MG ZS, is it in any way an MG sports car....No....Just a 1500cc engine.

Did you know, the Chinese brand Chery, make a near identical ZS, but guess what, it has a 1500cc engine with a turbo, it will trounce the ZS in the HP department.. 

I did read somewhere that the ZS may get a 1000cc engine with a turbo, Mr. Morris may well turn in his grave.....????

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

But but and but ???? I understand buddy you have the hump with Chinese because Pontiac's built in China have 15% Chinese parts. ???????????????? 

Noooooo,.....????......Just the MG performance badge bought to sell Chinese rides. The Extender, to me, is just taking the <deleted>, been in production for years as a SIAM Maxus...

Read their ads, they talk about..."Since 1924".....Bwaaaaaah.....

As you know, MG is the performance wing of Morris, Morris Garages, who were heavily involved with racing etc, way back when, there is nothing in the Chinese piston engined line up remotely performance.

Yes, my 1964 MGB soft top was great fun, power to weight was good for a street sports car...I can still remember the wind blowing through my hair, that was when I had some...????

Actually, that car was good for 110mph, even with a bloke wedged in the bit at the back....????

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, transam said:

I did read somewhere that the ZS may get a 1000cc engine with a turbo, Mr. Morris may well turn in his grave.....????

He may of well done that years ago when I threw out the SU Carb in my Morris Mini 850 cc and installed 2 twin choke webers. ????

Just now, Kwasaki said:

He may of well done that years ago when I threw out the SU Carb in my Morris Mini 850 cc and installed 2 twin choke webers. ????

Me too, on my Mini, I never saw the reason behind the continuous use of the SU on everything in the BL line up, they were a pain.

Even the MGB V8, a Buick engine, had twin SU's, never saw an SU in the USA...????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, transam said:

Noooooo,.....????......Just the MG performance badge bought to sell Chinese rides. The Extender, to me, is just taking the <deleted>, been in production for years as a SIAM Maxus...

Read their ads, they talk about..."Since 1924".....Bwaaaaaah.....

As you know, MG is the performance wing of Morris, Morris Garages, who were heavily involved with racing etc, way back when, there is nothing in the Chinese piston engined line up remotely performance.

Yes, my 1964 MGB soft top was great fun, power to weight was good for a street sports car...I can still remember the wind blowing through my hair, that was when I had some...????

Actually, that car was good for 110mph, even with a bloke wedged in the bit at the back....????

Mine was a British Leyland MG and could go on talking about old MG motors but don't want to hi-jack the thread. 

In short I use to like Mustangs still do also Trans Am's I read a good while back and remember they only made eight 2 door model's. 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I give an OK on China bringing and using the MG name. 

I owed an MGB and it was one of most reliable and comfortable well made car I've owned. 

I've never knew anyone who owned one say otherwise.

Brother owned 2 MGBs, along with another friend owning 1, and they were both of the same mindset, a love / hate relationship.

Edited by KhunLA

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Brother owned 2 MGBs, only with another friend owning 1, and they were both of the same mindset, a love / hate relationship.

Yeah OK fair call,  I just wanted to say thank-you to my Ford ownership back in those days it taught how to fix cars mechanically also bodywork from from the front to the back and inside and out. ????

My MGB I only had to service and change the clutch once and true up the wire wheels every now and then. ????

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I get it, you're anti-China.  

Bought a comfy family car / SUV, wasn't shopping for a sports car.   Apples & oranges.  For sporty stuff, days past, had a Firebird and scooters for performance.

MG offered me the best bang for my baht, for the comfort level I wanted ... nuff said.  It's nothing more than a machine to get me and stuff I travel with from point A to B.  Just happens to look and perform quite nicely while doing.

Good luck with anyone trying to avoid anything not built with parts from China.  Made in where ever means nothing, as all put out good & bad.  I go with value for price, don't care about the politics.

No, I am not anti-China, that's daft, I like something that is what it says on the tin, like Heinz 57, or Bachelors, not Chinese cheap stuff falsely using a British performance brand name and history to do so..

But, I hope you enjoy your purchase, and it stands up to your expectations...????

PS. Would you like to buy some second hand Chinese drills...????

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, transam said:

No, I am not anti-China, that's daft, I like something that is what it says on the tin, like Heinz 57, or Bachelors, not Chinese cheap stuff falsely using a British performance brand name and history to do so..

But, I hope you enjoy your purchase, and it stands up to your expectations...????

Fair enough, and no thanks on the drills ???? 

If people do their research, it's exactly as stated on the tin ... 'Brit Designed'.  A bit silly, but some may think it means something.  Knew it was a SAIC product, which I also consider a plus, hence the competitive pricing for entry into the Thai market.  They can afford to undercut the competition on pricing.

If wanting a full option SUV, guessing the ZS wouldn't be the choice, though didn't look a their other models.  Would assume the same goes for their trucks if wanting full options.

Since OP is interested in entry level truck, guessing like minded, and doesn't want to pay for options not needed or wanted.  MG is a practical choice then.

Chimed in since nobody with experience of Thai MG offerings had, or the dealer OP is considering buying from.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Fair enough, and no thanks on the drills ???? 

If people do their research, it's exactly as stated on the tin ... 'Brit Designed'.  A bit silly, but some may think it means something.  Knew it was a SAIC product, which I also consider a plus, hence the competitive pricing for entry into the Thai market.  They can afford to undercut the competition on pricing.

If wanting a full option SUV, guessing the ZS wouldn't be the choice, though didn't look a their other models.  Would assume the same goes for their trucks if wanting full options.

Since OP is interested in entry level truck, guessing like minded, and doesn't want to pay for options not needed or wanted.  MG is a practical choice then.

Chimed in since nobody with experience of Thai MG offerings had, or the dealer OP is considering buying from.

You forgot the Tata pickup, I fink it has a Jag badge but no frills.....????

The MG truck was quite nice, and caught my eye when at the dealer while checking out the ZS.  Especially the the entry level price.  TBO, stopped shopping for truck long ago.  Owned in the past, but as work vehicles, not a family car as they are marketed today.

When shopping for cars here, didn't get past the sticker price at other dealers for a pick-up with auto trans.  Not a fan of diesel, though have to plead total ignorance.   Know they are the choice for work trucks, I just hate the way they sound & smell.  Almost got the ZS EV ... nuff said there about my opinion of combustion engines.   If had longer range & established charging stations, I would have gone EV.

We're out & about too much to worry where the next charging station is located, or the patience to Q up to top off the battery.

2 hours ago, transam said:

Try some canned soya beans in tomato sauce from China there nice on toast. ????