Pick up Truck - MG Extender 4x2

hhtown

Do your homework folks MG Extender 4x2 is assembled in Thailand. (Laem Chabang, Chonburi Province)

This country has quite a history of building solid trucks (they need to be some would say) so why should this be any different?

• Like 2

The MG pickup is not a new creation, it is a truck that has been in production for years, the Maxus. It is now based on the SAIC Maxus T90, but oddly, the MG does not have all the tech of the T90. It also seems in Aus it will not have the MG badge, badged LDV, which is surprising, perhaps they have read my gripes...????

Anyhooo, an interesting link to read....

PS. Who ever designed the front of it needs serious help...????

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2021-mg-extender-extra-cab-and-dual-cab-utes-unveiled-in-right-hand-drive/

5 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Do your homework folks MG Extender 4x2 is assembled in Thailand. (Laem Chabang, Chonburi Province)

This country has quite a history of building solid trucks (they need to be some would say) so why should this be any different?

Think we know that....

• Like 1

We are having a similar discussion about cars the MG5 which looks great. We will be needing a replacement (or to run in tandem) for our 13 year old Toyota Hilux soon which has done almost 300,000km. I will wait a few years until they (MG) have clocked up some mileage. The Toyota is  "awesome" which is a word I don't use often. Drove to Phuket earlier this year never gave it a moments thought, total trust in the vehicle. Reliability for me is everything.

• Like 1

As soon as you drive the MG off the forecourt you lose at least 25% compered to a Toyota at the 10/11% mark 

The  chinese are pumping out electric cars like there is no tomorrow and the first pick ups are due in 2022/23 where will diesel be in 10 years time and at what cost that’s if you can still get it as a lot of Western Countries are banning it will Thailand do the same !

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, LittleBear57 said:

We are having a similar discussion about cars the MG5 which looks great. We will be needing a replacement (or to run in tandem) for our 13 year old Toyota Hilux soon which has done almost 300,000km. I will wait a few years until they (MG) have clocked up some mileage. The Toyota is  "awesome" which is a word I don't use often. Drove to Phuket earlier this year never gave it a moments thought, total trust in the vehicle. Reliability for me is everything.

Yeah keep supporting China lol

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, transam said:

Think we know that....

On Google did have a read at anytime by autoexpress.uk of copy cat car makers in China only come across it after a successful court case by Jaguar Range Rover. 

Want a Maclaren at a 1/4 price. ????

25 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I guess you have nothing you own that has a Chinese made component in it. ????

Everything we touch has something Chinese in it, but, I cannot think of anything 100% Chinese I have bought that hasn't failed in short order. ????

My latest Chinese failure, I bought an ignition system for my Honda mower from China, I couldn't locate one here, it was cheap, failed after one trip around the garden. So, I cut the original one apart and fooled with it, the mower is now back doing its job.  ????

18 minutes ago, transam said:

Everything we touch has something Chinese in it, but, I cannot think of anything 100% Chinese I have bought that hasn't failed in short order. ????

My latest Chinese failure, I bought an ignition system for my Honda mower from China, I couldn't locate one here, it was cheap, failed after one trip around the garden. So, I cut the original one apart and fooled with it, the mower is now back doing its job.  ????

I had the same trouble with Fords made in UK. ????

On 9/26/2021 at 12:49 PM, transam said:

Indeed, reminds me of the Morris Oxford, Austin Cambridge...????

It is long time ago I owns a Morris 1000 van.

somewhere around 1965, I get old....

And that time we have been on holiday to Austria with this car.

At a moment it droves slower and slower, so I asked my fellow passenger, is there here a hill? No,no,no, the head panking had given up.

Edited by Peterphuket

I looked at this truck and was impressed with truck a little research tells me the mechanicals are not Great wall but sourced in various country's a lot in Europe. If you buy a Toyota the depreciation is very low even after 10/20 years but when you consider the cost of the MG with warrantee servicing they offer the this truck will owes you nothing after 10 years and providing regular servicing is done i cannot see why it will continue to serve you well. I can't guarantee  this of course just my opinion from conversations wit MG owners.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lesmac said:

I looked at this truck and was impressed with truck a little research tells me the mechanicals are not Great wall but sourced in various country's a lot in Europe. If you buy a Toyota the depreciation is very low even after 10/20 years but when you consider the cost of the MG with warrantee servicing they offer the this truck will owes you nothing after 10 years and providing regular servicing is done i cannot see why it will continue to serve you well. I can't guarantee  this of course just my opinion from conversations wit MG owners.

I haven't checked this lately, but in the UK MG give a 7 year guaranty, in LOS it's 4 years, now if their rides are that good, why the big difference...

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Thats like saying Germany is famous for the high-performance and high-quality sports cars made by Porsche, and the cars of Mercedes, BMW and Audi are famous for their quality and technological innovation.

However i don't think many people would associate any of the above with the trabbie or Trabant also built in Germany

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well they've been out in Thailand since 2019, I had already bought my truck. 

I  would of test drove the Extender before making any unfounded accusations.

I like to hear from someone in Oz where the truck has a good reputation by all accounts. 

People here are very judgemental when it comes to Chinese components which makes me laugh I bet Toyota has Chinese made parts on there vehicles. 

Well, iPhones are made in China, BUT made to Apple QA standards.  But a Chinese brand is made to Chinese QA standards.  Like the Japanese and Korean cars, the Chinese will catch up quickly, but maybe not yet.  

1 minute ago, transam said:

Could be, or quality of service staff, 4 years of potholes will make it fall apart, or folk don't read the small print here...????

True it's easy done I buckled one of the wheels on my 4x4 Vigo. 

Didn't really notice at the time until serviced at my 'Cockpit'.

Mine ya the road over 10 years or more around where we are, are much better. 

6 minutes ago, donmuang37 said:

Well, iPhones are made in China, BUT made to Apple QA standards.  But a Chinese brand is made to Chinese QA standards.  Like the Japanese and Korean cars, the Chinese will catch up quickly, but maybe not yet.  

The Chinese have suppling parts to car manufacturers for a number of years so they had to meet standards.

Two Toyota factories in China I believe last I read apart from others. 

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

True it's easy done I buckled one of the wheels on my 4x4 Vigo. 

Didn't really notice at the time until serviced at my 'Cockpit'.

Mine ya the road over 10 years or more around where we are, are much better. 

My friend bought an MG ZS, after going round it, I can tell you, there is more metal thickness in a tin of baked beans than its wings/hood...????

But, perhaps the Maxus has better specs..

8 minutes ago, transam said:

My friend bought an MG ZS, after going round it, I can tell you, there is more metal thickness in a tin of baked beans than its wings/hood...????

But, perhaps the Maxus has better specs..

Don't know I'm done with buying anymore trucks,  I'm not going to change mine.

Just had 3 dents repaired where kids on a Wave hit it, don't take much to damage any truck panel these days if you ask me. 

On 9/26/2021 at 12:24 PM, Kwasaki said:
On 9/26/2021 at 12:16 PM, transam said:

If the Maxus T70 was fab, then I don't understand why they didn't take LOS by storm with it.

As you know, my beef is the use of MG performance history on a Chinese truck, well, it also goes for their non-performance cars too...????.

I liked my MGB. gt. ???????? .

Many people used to race using the B 1800 engine it was a popular lump.

A real non-performance car also...cart springs (like a pickup), 95bhp and 14 seconds to 60!

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Thats like saying Germany is famous for the high-performance and high-quality sports cars made by Porsche, and the cars of Mercedes, BMW and Audi are famous for their quality and technological innovation.

However i don't think many people would associate any of the above with the trabbie or Trabant also built in Germany

I'm guessing there's some logic in there somewhere but I'm damned if I can work it out! Please don't bother trying to explain it.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

A real non-performance car also...cart springs (like a pickup), 95bhp and 14 seconds to 60!

Didn't everything have cart springs in 1962....?  ????

Wasn't 0-60mph in 14 seconds OK for 1962....?  ????

The same car but with the BMC 3.0 was 0-60 in 8.8 seconds.

The same car but with the BMC 3.5 was 0-60 in 8.0 seconds.

Not too shabby for the era....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Isuzu is the oldest manufacturer of small diesel pick-ups. They have been rebadged for GMH (Holden Rodeo, Chevrolet) for years and their experience has come from the building of large diesel trucks. They only built diesel vehicles and never played with petrol family cars. I would not go past Isuzu for experience in the small diesels.

Not quite right. Isuzu Bellett was reasonably popular in Oz way back.   https://www.google.com/search?q=isuzu+bellett&oq=isuzu+bellet&aqs=chrome.0.0i512j69i57j0i457i512j0i512l7.6611j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8