WESTERN UNION has new rules to receive money

I do confirm that the active visa is required now. A few years ago I was sending and receiving WU with just a Thai driving license, but today I went to send WU and was asked for passport and valid visa.

Two (!) clerks were examining my yearly extension stamps looking for an expiration date, and after they found the latest one they made a copy of: passport main page, visa sticker page, and latest extension stamp page.

I think this is a requirement of Thailand Immigration, not any anti-money-laundering measures.

On 9/29/2021 at 10:23 AM, allane said:

I wondered about that when I saw your original post.  That notice doesn't look particularly official.  This might be a case of a reaction to a problem in one geographic area, such as a tourist town. Where were you ? 

the very same sticker could be found in Central Festival on Phuket.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2021 at 11:43 AM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

active visa is not the problem. problem is the work permit.

if they did not ask you for work permit, than it is better.

they did not ask me for the work permit, only for the visa.

Another funny thing: today I went to a Krung Thai bank branch to get a new debit card, the staff lady took my passport and made a copy of the main page and the last extension stamp (i.e. until which date I'm allowed to stay in Thailand).

I don't remember it was required several years ago. Westernunion first, now banks, -- Is it an unannounced crackdown on overstayers?

32 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

first aid?

First aid to identification .....or second hand identification document  ...or reserve option for identification...???? 

slow understanding ? ....happens sometimes to me also ...????  ????

Edited by david555

its weird that money coming into Thailand required that much info, it's not like the money is leaving, what if someone have a valid passport and visa, not everybody want to drive in Thailand, majority don't work and why would i need an alien card when i have my passport, its like someone making rule without thinking. 

27 minutes ago, david555 said:

First aid to identification .....or second hand identification document  ...or reserve option for identification...???? 

slow understanding ? ....happens sometimes to me also ...????  ????

Never heard of the above terminology. From which country does it originate? First aid I understand as medical assistance. Second hand refers to used goods. In  normal English these terms are not commonly used to denote ID documents. Is it South African or military parlance?