WESTERN UNION has new rules to receive money

16 hours ago, sapson said:

So if you were on holiday here and someone wanted to send you some emergency cash they couldnt as you wouldnt have any of the above as a tourist, doesnt make sense who are they protecting?

Used to prefer traveling to Laos or Poipet for any amount above $499 before the advent of Money Gram. So though inconveniencing, that should be an option for tourists

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sapson said:

So if you were on holiday here and someone wanted to send you some emergency cash they couldnt as you wouldnt have any of the above as a tourist, doesnt make sense who are they protecting?

You would have at least a exemption stamped in pasport (which would be same as what they ..W.S... call a visa ) ...., but yes you would probably not have a Thai driving license ...as a "genuine only Tourist" 

Edited by david555

2 hours ago, pizzachang said:

This photo is only indicating 3 separate choices for identification purposes. A tourist would not normally have a Thai driver's license, so this seems odd. 

As the use of a Thai DL. is comparable to"first aid " Official Identification ...????  (but most for L. stayers or repeated Thailand tourist's...)????

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, oilly said:

I've just had a chat with a WU customer service agent who confirmed only passport was required to receive money. 

Hope this helps. 

Screenshot_20210928_121642_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210928_121658_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210928_121708_com.android.chrome.jpg

Nothing else than original message , as residents in any way would have a valid stamp to stay in Thailand and most also a Thai D.L. 

It seems only targeted to the pure tourist with very low   I.D. profile 

(probably closing " some gates.." for uncontrolled money bringing in Thailand .....???? )

Edited by david555

4 hours ago, mvdf said:

Most likely an AML measure to strengthen monitoring and control of transnational movement of funds. And also anti-fraud elements to this new requirements as foreign scammers based here (the so-called "romance scammers) tend to have transient or tourist visas only. 

Yes, particularly as, from a previous poster's comment...

"What documents can I use to pick up money in Thailand?

You need to present any official government-issued ID or a valid International passport, Thai National ID card, Thai driver’s license, other Thai government issued ID, Civil Servant ID, Alien card to pick up money at a Western Union agent location. Acceptable IDs are subject to the Banking laws and regulations of Thailand".

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ThaiSmarterThanYou said:

how can these companies be so idiot ?

maybe because some of their customers try take them W.S....as idiots ....????

Edited by david555
  • Haha 1

I'm thinking the WU shop with that window notice just got it wrong....tried to post the requirements in English (made the notice on 25 Sep) and translated the requirements incorrectly.  Got carried away with use of/incorrectly used the "plus" symbol.  

As posted earlier their website and chat session in earlier post basically just requires  a govt ID with photo such as a passport.

• Like 2

If u have a valid passport then no problem.if they check for a legal visa all good.If you don,t have the passport legal then u are in trouble and you would not be using western union.You can transfer thru bank acc,s and then your atm works again.They are many other ways than western union

I have been in many countries as the banks or WU agents are commercial institutions  they always checked the Biometric page only the see the information and in 20 seconds you get your money as the origin currency Euro, USD...etc. here they ask stupid things + if the Euro exchange rate is 39.12 THB they will give you 36.00 THB

So you loose 100 euro for each 1000 and you are bringing the currency to their country they thanks people in a good way 

2 hours ago, akagai1969 said:

This is an informal "note
 written/posted someplace.
- It is NOT an official WU statement.
Does "journalism" exist?
Very few validate information.

Hence my post earlier stating what I believe the notice/info to be connected with Online/Mobile banking and NOT counter service!

On 9/27/2021 at 12:39 PM, Pib said:

Below is what the Western Union Thailand website states....doesn't say a person must have three multiple documents.....pretty much just says some type of govt-issue ID.   

As already mentioned by another poster above if three documents were needed a tourist in Thailand couldn't receive money because they most likely would not have a Thai drivers licenses, work permit, or Pink ID card.  All they would have in their passport with Tourist Visa/Visa Exempt/Visa On Arrival stamp.....and maybe that's what is really meant---just some kind of stamp like a Visa Exempt stamp in your passport showing you are not on an overstay.....allowed in the country thru the permit to stay date on the stamp. 

Heck the need for three documents would prevent many people on long stay visas (i.e., retirement, marriage, 1 year type visas, etc) from receiving money as they might not have a Thai drivers license, work permit, or Pink ID card.    

https://www.westernunion.com/th/en/frequently-asked-questions.html#faq-receive-money-Q1

the WU agent told me this new requirment, started 25/9, will take time to spread all over

I use WU online all the time and transfer money to a Thai bank account. No problem at all. 
My latest transfer was yesterday, received in Kasikorn bank today. 

Just do it online, there's a small fee but cheaper than others. 

7 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

the WU agent told me this new requirment, started 25/9, will take time to spread all over

I wondered about that when I saw your original post.  That notice doesn't look particularly official.  This might be a case of a reaction to a problem in one geographic area, such as a tourist town. Where were you ?