Hello fellow expat

Pravda

8 hours ago, Pravda said:

Starting tomorrow (today fellow posters may change my mind) every time I go out and see a white guy/girl I'm gonna greet them with "hello fellow expat". 

I was taught not to judge someone on their skin colour. 

How do you know they are an expat? They could be Thai, a tourist, or an albino. 

11 minutes ago, Pravda said:

I am disappointed with jocular replies 

Maybe you should have chosen a different forum, where people did not have the sense of humour that we have here.  

Anyway, I think your opening line is not the best.  A cheery "Hawaythair, Jimmy! Howyedaen'?" Would be far more likely to elicit a positive response from anyone that understands you, and he'll know which town you're from by your accent.

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I was taught not to judge someone on their skin colour. 

How do you know they are an expat? They could be Thai, a tourist, or an albino. 

Or maybe judge them on what they wear....like polkadot.... polkadot...get it? 555

6 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Or maybe judge them on what they wear....like polkadot.... polkadot...get it? 555

???? 

8 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Anyway, I think your opening line is not the best.  A cheery "Hawaythair, Jimmy! Howyedaen'?" Would be far more likely to elicit a positive response from anyone that understands you, and he'll know which town you're from by your accent.

I expected that from the infamous Blether when I met him but got a bear hug instead ???? 

Wonder where he is now. 

Edited by Neeranam

7 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Maybe you should have chosen a different forum, where people did not have the sense of humour that we have here.  

"We", Cowboy? 

I find that the majority here here have little or no senses of humour. Remains largely stoic. 

Which leaves those who keen and eccentric senses of humour in the lurch and almost always misunderstood.

Which is ok.

Edited by zzaa09
  • Like 1

I would welcome any conversation inside a coffee place or a bar if you are polite and have something interesting to discuss.  Just be polite.  Out in the streets?  Only idiots there. 

Edited by balo
  • Like 2

For me it depends on the location, if I'm up in a Issan village with few farangs, I'd have no problem carrying on a conversation with a fellow foreigner, but if I'm in a city like Bangkok or Pattaya and someone came up saying "hello fellow expat", I'd think he's nutty or up to something and just give a nod or polite hi and move on.  

One time I was walking around Pattaya with a t-shirt with a US sports team logo and another farang walks up to me on the street and start up a conversation along the line of hello fellow American, how are you? The conversation quickly turned to him asking/begging me for money with his hard luck story, which I later determined to be a lie. 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Humans that frequent coffee shops and bars are never to be found on streets?

Thank you for the information. 

As opposite to bars. Only the highest quality of expat sits on a barstool.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pravda said:

As opposite to bars. Only the highest quality of expat sits on a barstool.

Lonely people go to bars, so talk away. The again some go to escape the wife and might want peace and quiet. 

It's amazing what you can learn on a bar stool; I learned that I could stop drinking. Met an AA guy when I was drinking gin in a bar/restaurant at 8 am in Midanoa, Philipinnes, 1993. 

I hesitate to think given the reactions here, do you run for cover if a Thai says hello? I return the greeting to Thai people with little understanding of what they say most occasions.????

I reckon responses ares based on the assumption, and possibly correct, that most contact with 'expats' would be male on male, if the op was female expat, would the responses be different?

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The Hello is fine.

The Fellow Expat is cringe.

The ideals of what is or isn't considered an expat makes me cringe. 

Some don't find it necessary to be fitted into this neat little defined package of a stereotypical expat [whatever that is]. 

I'll pass, as I've much to much experience and witness to cozy up to ideals of what an expat is or isn't. 

Personal observations and interactions have left me numb in a most unpleasant way. 

8 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:
6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The Hello is fine.

The Fellow Expat is cringe.

The ideals of what is or isn't considered an expat makes me cringe. 

Some don't find it necessary to be fitted into this neat little defined package of a stereotypical expat [whatever that is]. 

I'll pass, as I've much to much experience and witness to cozy up to ideals of what an expat is or isn't. 

Personal observations and interactions have left me numb in a most unpleasant way. 

No one found it necessary to discuss the semantics of the term ‘expat’ until you chose to point out that you don’t find it necessary and chose to voice that you’ll pass.....   

... very strange.... 

13 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Given such an attitude I highly doubt you have left the ‘other parties’ feeling elated and with out of body experiences....  ????

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1