Hello fellow expat

Pravda

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

People who randomly go up to a stranger and ‘say Hi’ (or any variation of) without readily understandable reason or in a situation conducive to social interaction is going to viewed upon as somewhat ‘whacky’... 

In such a situation, in the street, supermarket etc I’d return the welcome with ‘Hi’ but not want to develop the conversation any further than that.

99.9% of people are perfectly sane, perfectly normal etc... but the only time a stranger wants to ‘open’ a conversation with me is to sell me something or impart a load of unwelcomed advice !

When passing and if the eyes make contact a nod is more than enough, I do the same with Thai’s or anyone else. 

That's a fair call from yourself as usual.

I take it you live in a place where there's many Farang where I live it's Falang and there's very few of us about where I live. 

So I understand someone on holiday saying hello to me politly because often they say you look like you live here may I ask you something. 

• Like 2

I don't think he's the bloke to whom I might owe an apology, but maybe I would deck him, just in case he was, and was using this casual greeting to take me off my guard.  To improve my chances beyond 50-50, I might want to capture the element of surprise, from behind, before he's noticed me...

2 minutes ago, rwill said:

I was in a Lotus many years ago and a guy walked up to and started talking like we were long lost friends.  The first thought I had is if he was some sort of scam artist.

Was he your brother?
Is this the start of a long and tangled tale of amnesia, confusion and ultimate family reunion?

Shakespeare would have had you identical twins, with one dressed as the maidservant of a lady with whom the other was totally infatuated.

I'm still looking forward to what transpired after your initial suspicious assumption...
Will you be serialising the story in episodes?

51 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

That's a fair call from yourself as usual.

I take it you live in a place where there's many Farang where I live it's Falang and there's very few of us about where I live. 

So I understand someone on holiday saying hello to me politly because often they say you look like you live here may I ask you something. 

Yes, there are plenty of foreigners (Central Bangkok) there are also number of foreigners in our little Moo-baan, most people say hi when passing etc, over the course of a few years I’ve got to know a few of the folk who live here but not well enough to invite in for a beer etc.

IF another foreigner came up to me in the street and politely asked “excuse me, you look like you live here can I ask you something?”..... “Sure” would be my reply... 

IF the foreigner asked “How can it get to to........” then fine.... If they asked “which insurance provider do you use?”.... then I’ll just walk off !

----------

A number of years ago I was in PanThip Plaza - Another Westerner came up to me and asked if I lived in Bangkok, I said yes, then he asked me if I’d like to buy a watch !!!...  No !... (firm, terse, direct - I wasn’t going to be polite and say ‘No thank you’ and have the politeness misinterpreted as weakness).

I’ve met ‘other foreigners’ through friends of friends etc who’ve turned out to be total freak shows, b!tching and moaning about Thailand while giving ridiculous advice and moronically flawed opinions....   I just do my best to get out of their way. 

Early days (for me) in Thailand there was on guy, a ‘clinger-on’ a friend of a friend - he’d never ‘pay his way’... I noticed, we’d buy rounds, he’d drink faster etc and add to everyone else round etc... We went to a girly bar... he was there putting girls drinks on the tab but I’d told the staff all individual bills... the guy was astonished and argumentative that his bill was so high and that some of the ‘girl drinks’ must have been someone else’s !!!... Complete tool, even his mate told him to eff-awf... 

That said: By a strong majority I’ve met loads of excellent, informed, humorous, smart, polite people who’ve become good friends (both Thai and Western)....  friendships beyond acquaintance take time... however, a ‘good acquaintance’ can be made quickly through introduction, common ground, coincidence etc...   but, that is still something which can’t be forced. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes, there are plenty of foreigners (Central Bangkok) there are also number of foreigners in our little Moo-baan, most people say hi when passing etc, over the course of a few years I’ve got to know a few of the folk who live here but not well enough to invite in for a beer etc.

IF another foreigner came up to me in the street and politely asked “excuse me, you look like you live here can I ask you something?”..... “Sure” would be my reply... 

IF the foreigner asked “How can it get to to........” then fine.... If they asked “which insurance provider do you use?”.... then I’ll just walk off !

----------

A number of years ago I was in PanThip Plaza - Another Westerner came up to me and asked if I lived in Bangkok, I said yes, then he asked me if I’d like to buy a watch !!!...  No !... (firm, terse, direct - I wasn’t going to be polite and say ‘No thank you’ and have the politeness misinterpreted as weakness).

I’ve met ‘other foreigners’ through friends of friends etc who’ve turned out to be total freak shows, b!tching and moaning about Thailand while giving ridiculous advice and moronically flawed opinions....   I just do my best to get out of their way. 

Early days (for me) in Thailand there was on guy, a ‘clinger-on’ a friend of a friend - he’d never ‘pay his way’... I noticed, we’d buy rounds, he’d drink faster etc and add to everyone else round etc... We went to a girly bar... he was there putting girls drinks on the tab but I’d told the staff all individual bills... the guy was astonished and argumentative that his bill was so high and that some of the ‘girl drinks’ must have been someone else’s !!!... Complete tool, even his mate told him to eff-awf... 

That said: By a strong majority I’ve met loads of excellent, informed, humorous, smart, polite people who’ve become good friends (both Thai and Western)....  friendships beyond acquaintance take time... however, a ‘good acquaintance’ can be made quickly through introduction, common ground, coincidence etc...   but, that is still something which can’t be forced. 

Yeah I do understand your situation, where you live it goes with the territory.

A bit like e.g. living in Peckham, London or where I use to live St Albans, UK. 

Edited by Kwasaki

1 hour ago, rwill said:

I was in a Lotus many years ago and a guy walked up to and started talking like we were long lost friends.  The first thought I had is if he was some sort of scam artist.

Obvious newbie, no doubt. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Berkshire said:

The only people who might reply in the affirmative would be tourists...who aren't expats at all.  Why not just say "Hello fellow whitey!"  Since you've already excluded all non-white expats. 

Yep , don't say that to a Nigerian. There are still some about.

4 hours ago, Pravda said:

l I'm gonna greet them with "hello fellow expat". 

Do you think I will get the same back, no reply or something different?

"I would reply "expats ? perhaps,  fellows ? Not a chance, and no I cant spare any change