Hello fellow expat

Pravda

1 hour ago, Pravda said:

Do you think I will get the same back, no reply or something different?

What's the purpose of your intended action?

If you used those words with me, I would immediately assume you're selling expat insurance or a property agent looking for a sale for example, taking your attire into account that is............................................................. If you didn't appear as a threat, I would reluctantly engage with you, with a 'go on what do you want' attitude..............but if you changed your intro to just 'hello/hi' with a smile and open demeanor, I think you would get a much better engagement with most......................

• Like 1

People who randomly go up to a stranger and ‘say Hi’ (or any variation of) without readily understandable reason or in a situation conducive to social interaction is going to viewed upon as somewhat ‘whacky’... 

In such a situation, in the street, supermarket etc I’d return the welcome with ‘Hi’ but not want to develop the conversation any further than that.

99.9% of people are perfectly sane, perfectly normal etc... but the only time a stranger wants to ‘open’ a conversation with me is to sell me something or impart a load of unwelcomed advice !

When passing and if the eyes make contact a nod is more than enough, I do the same with Thai’s or anyone else. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, tingtongfarang said:

Forget the idea, expats living here are just an outright unfriendly bunch, most anyway look the other way for fear of contact

I think this response from a poster who refers to himself as tingtongfarang more than explains why others may look the other way and avoid social interaction !!! ????

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

I would say hello, but move on quickly, just in case it turned into a conversation. 

I think this would be the most ‘normal’ response. 

I’ve actually entered into conversations with plenty of strangers and have no issue talking with strangers whatsoever, but only when there is some common ground as a natural ‘ice breaker’... 

i.e. In the queue when returning to Thailand on one of the first repatriation flights, five of us Westerners were conversing about how we’d jumped through the CoE process. 

In the pool with my Son, chatting with another father who is also in the pool with his son etc.

Some stranger coming up to me is just that, a stranger coming up to me, its strange !

• Like 2