Buying english keyboard without thai symbols

AndyAndyAndy

I like to shop at Lazada. But even if the keyboard on the pictures seems to have english keys only, in reviews from customers is always taken photo of thai keyboard. Did you managed to go around this? I have already given up on having keyboard in my native european language. But clean english is bare minimum.

Source laptop you like; find out if it has an easily removeable keyboard. If not, look for another ????

Once you've found a suitable model, source the keyboard in your native language. Take both to an official service centre and get them to swap them. If it's an original part, it should not affect the warranty.

5 hours ago, balo said:

Why not just order from Amazon?  I would imagine most of the Thai companies on Lazada only sell keyboards with Thai symbols. 

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Wireless-Keyboard-Quiet-Compact-US-Layout/dp/B07WV5WN7B/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=US+keyboard&qid=1632871384&sr=8-6

How does ordering from Amazon works? Do I have to pay any extra tax? Or is it exactly the same as Lazada?

5 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

How does ordering from Amazon works? Do I have to pay any extra tax? Or is it exactly the same as Lazada?

Amazon will deduct any local tax and then add on carriage and what they think is the appropriate level of Thai import duty. If they have overestimated that, they will rebate the difference. It does work, and I once had a rebate from them. But it's an expensive way to buy things that are freely available here. I think InvadeIT would be a better bet, and much quicker than waiting for a keyboard from US or Europe.

I think in lazada many sellers are lazy and just copy pics from the manufacturers website instead of the real keyboard they are selling. I think most keyboards are Thai with English.

Having said that I buy at invade IT and they have a good description of keyboards if they are English only or Thai.

Amazon works, but you pay tax (already included in the price when you checkout and have given your location) so you wont pay it again.

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

Source laptop you like; find out if it has an easily removeable keyboard. If not, look for another ????

Once you've found a suitable model, source the keyboard in your native language. Take both to an official service centre and get them to swap them. If it's an original part, it should not affect the warranty.

Why did I imagine that a laptop was involved?? ????

17 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

You can buy a standard English keyboard at almost any large IT shop, stationery stores, Tesco, Big C or similar.

That would be the easiest solution, but they all have printed Thai symbols on top of the English keys. 

If you are planning an excursion to a nearby country that uses Roman alphabet (Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia...) all keyboards are such.

In the meantime, you can use a black permanent marker to black out the Thai lettering.  I did that, but had to give it a touch-up every month or so.

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 2:06 AM, AndyAndyAndy said:

I like to shop at Lazada. But even if the keyboard on the pictures seems to have english keys only, in reviews from customers is always taken photo of thai keyboard. Did you managed to go around this? I have already given up on having keyboard in my native european language. But clean english is bare minimum.

Check out JIB. jib.co.th

I had a Thai/English keyboard and had nothing but problems with it. Because every time I looked down to punch a key, for some reason I always looked at the Thai letter first and it messed me up. I live in Chiang Mai, so I stopped at Big C and they had two different brands that were English only letters, no Thai symbols at all. So before you order over the internet, check out one of the local places. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy Noobie said:

I had a Thai/English keyboard and had nothing but problems with it. Because every time I looked down to punch a key, for some reason I always looked at the Thai letter first and it messed me up. I live in Chiang Mai, so I stopped at Big C and they had two different brands that were English only letters, no Thai symbols at all. So before you order over the internet, check out one of the local places. 

I never had that problem but I guess for people who havent learned to type or don't use computers a lot it could be a problem. 

4 minutes ago, Dick Z said:

I ordered one on lazada. Pure latin QWERTY keyboard. I have difficulty logging in to Lazada, so can't send a link. But it was easy to find.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/dell-usb-english-only-wired-keyboard-no-thai-dell-kb-kb216-bk-us-usb-i2793250507-s10168829292.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.3e424818LCCfBP&search=1

22 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

I bought a laptop online import (English only keyboard) shipping cost US$30, import duty US$43, factor this in to your costing.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

If your willing to pay enough then buy a corsair i have had them with Thai illuminated characters.

You’re right, just checked their website and they do have English/Thai keyboards. Thanks for the tip. I’ve mostly stopped learning Thai after travel shut down, but if a return to Thailand ever looks possible, I might get one. My gaming PC here in Australia has an illuminated mechanical keyboard, once you’ve used one of those you never want to go back to ordinary keyboards.

2 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

You’re right, just checked their website and they do have English/Thai keyboards. Thanks for the tip. I’ve mostly stopped learning Thai after travel shut down, but if a return to Thailand ever looks possible, I might get one. My gaming PC here in Australia has an illuminated mechanical keyboard, once you’ve used one of those you never want to go back to ordinary keyboards.

I just like the corsair keyboard as they are high quality mechanical switches plus the k95 has a programable bar of extra keys i can use for work. I like gaming keyboards as they are often more durable. 

• Like 2

OP, I understand you may have your reasons for a pure english-keyboard.

But, I have to say that years ago I had the same wish, looked around, no

shops had such a kb, I settled for English-Thai and I haven't had a

problem ever since. The Thai characters are much smaller on the

lower-right of each key, basically I don't even notice them.

There is also the once-in-a-while situation when you may actually

want to type a word in Thai.

(btw, I actually have US-Thai, e.g. no pound sign)

Edited by arithai12