Thailand bets on Diwali season & Indians to boost its tourism

webfact

How many Indians to replace one resident farang? 10 years ago, approximately 90,000 resident British in Thailand. One third already gone by 2019, now after Covid, only 50% left - 45,000.

TAT need to rethink their strategies. Millionaires? They don't want ANY restrictions. Indians? they will be put off by the price of a genuine PCR test (how much for a fake document in India?). Thai PCR tests, insurance, not sure many will come. Some will come, like the Phuket sandbox, but not millions, just thousands.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Triple check their vaccine paperwork..is all I'm saying...Sri Lanka having issues with this right now....Fake tests/QR code stuff - but they won't and it's all an exercise in futility soon enough....

You're asking the impossible.  They most definetly will not. ????

it doesn't surprise me that this thread would see many racist comments. true enough. if it was the other way around admins would be busy deleting comments and issuing warnings. but thats how the world works with double standards. many of you who comment obviously loiter around little sois drinking some chang hanging around working women hoping to get a cheapie deal till wee hours of the morning. come out of those little sois and have a look at the 5 star hotels hosting lavish indian weddings. tour companies arranging vip tours for them.  you racists would never see that cause  you hang out at different places. but very quick to talk about the smell of curry. many westerners living here are just looking at exchange rates to see how far more they could drag their savings. they don't have much to live on but hey back using their free condo wi-fi service quick to be a keyboard warrior. the thais in the industry know what kind of wealth the indians and chinese have, hence the many statements issued by them. 

admins here : get to work to moderate what is right and wrong. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, tigerbeer said:

it doesn't surprise me that this thread would see many racist comments. true enough. if it was the other way around admins would be busy deleting comments and issuing warnings. but thats how the world works with double standards. many of you who comment obviously loiter around little sois drinking some chang hanging around working women hoping to get a cheapie deal till wee hours of the morning. come out of those little sois and have a look at the 5 star hotels hosting lavish indian weddings. tour companies arranging vip tours for them.  you racists would never see that cause  you hang out at different places. but very quick to talk about the smell of curry. many westerners living here are just looking at exchange rates to see how far more they could drag their savings. they don't have much to live on but hey back using their free condo wi-fi service quick to be a keyboard warrior. the thais in the industry know what kind of wealth the indians and chinese have, hence the many statements issued by them. 

Well said but I suspect you will not get many 'Likes'.  Some of the posters here are of the belief that only western tourists matter, only western tourist spend money, only western tourists stay at the nice hotels and eat at the nice restaurants, only western tourists should be sought out and valued. 

The reality is, of course, much more akin to what you pointed out.  It's mostly Asians and Indians, with some Russians thrown in, staying at the 5 star hotels and resorts.  Even with covid, parts of Pattaya were not doing badly until the latest lockdown shut everything.  Enough Thais were coming on weekends before the current lockdown to keep Dusit, Grande Centre Point, Holiday Inn, Amari, A-01, and other big north Pattaya Beach hotels open.

Construction mirrors demand.  T21 was not built for western sex tourists.  Neither was the new Amari Suites wing, it was built to accommodate the demands of families.  The new Mytt Hotel has the Vertical Ballroom--a space that can accommodate a thousand or more people.  Who was that built for?  Not western sex tourists.  The massive new Grande Centre Point 2 being built will also be accommodating things like destination weddings, business functions, and other events.  

Non-western tourists, especially Chinese and Indians, are mostly categorized as 'zero-dollar' tourists, contributing absolutely nothing.  How many times have we read from posters that none of the money from these tourists stays in Thailand, none of these tourists benefit the local economy.   Before covid, they might possibly have gotten away with such an inaccurate statement.  Now, with more than a year and a half of covid, it is starkly evident, and on display every day, just how much the non-western visitors were contributing locally to tourists places like Pattaya.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tigerbeer said:

We have seen Indians staying five in a room booked for one or two, and groups of them haggling with ladies to take all of them for the price of one. 

Regular events, not extreme examples. If that makes me a racist in your eyes so be it. 

I won't say what you are in mine. 

Screenshot_20211004_114609_com.android.chrome.jpg

1 minute ago, rott said:

We have seen Indians staying five in a room booked for one or two, and groups of them haggling with ladies to take all of them for the price of one. 

Regular events, not extreme examples. If that makes me a racist in your eyes so be it. 

I won't say what you are in mine. 

Screenshot_20211004_114609_com.android.chrome.jpg

We have seen westerners raping locals, murdering, robbing, overstaying visas, fighting in the middle of the road and in bars. screaming like barbarians in bars. etc etc etc etc etc etc etc whats your point? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tigerbeer said:

We have seen westerners raping locals, murdering, robbing, overstaying visas, fighting in the middle of the road and in bars. screaming like barbarians in bars. etc etc etc etc etc etc etc whats your point? 

You have personally seen all of the above.? Wow. 

I have spent 17 of the last 25 years here and have only seen very little of that. And the bulk of those years have been in the farang ghetto in Pattaya, much of that in the formerly disreputable Dog's Bolxxxxs bar. Never seen one murder or one rape. 

But my point was that in my experience they do not like spending money. Read my post again if you don't believe me. And money is what the Thailand Tourist Council want from them. 

OK now.? 

Edited by rott