Computer clock problem

sirineou

Here in Thailand it is now about 6 am

So I look at the time on my lop top and it says 2:13 am 

WT (sixth letter in the alphabet)

Am I experiencing a temporal anomaly (I always thought it was a mater of time)

Where in the world is 2:13 am? and why does my computer thinks I am there?

Edited by sirineou

Assuming it's not a warm in the space-time continuum, have you checked your time zone settings and done an internet time sync?

I've had the occasional time server that's thrown a wobbler and synced all my IoT devices to something odd, so maybe use a different time server.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

click on the time display down in the tool bar.  Look at the settings.  The words vary a bit from windows versions.  You can synch it to windows, time.windows. com.  Or you can change the time manually.  It would be odd if the server(s) in Thailand are all wonked up all the time since internet time is pretty common inside most Ethernet packets

• Thanks 1

I restarted the lop top, but was still the same. 

Them I checked the settings to adjust the time manual and noticed that the "check time zone automatically"  tab was on the off position , so I turned on, and clicked on the "set time " button 

SUCSESS!!

I am now in sync with the rest of you. (not sure if it's a good thing) LOL

Thank you all for your help and getting me thinking in the right direction. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I will restart my computer lop top and see if the problem is resolved. I had let my looptop unplugged and running all yesterday ,  and this morning it was dead as a door nail. Don't ask me how dead door nails are, LOL

When I plugged it in and restart it made three false starts where it tried to start and fizzled out, Then it started, So you might be right. 

That definitely points to a failing CMOS battery. (a small battery the size of a coin, not to be confused with the large battery that powers the laptop when not plugged in).

You will find, so long as the laptop is plugged in or has battery life , the time will stay current. if/when you unplug and the big battery goes flat, then the time will be out of sync again.

A local computer shop should be able to do a new cmos battery for a couple of hundred baht.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, sirineou said:

I restarted the lop top, but was still the same. 

Them I checked the settings to adjust the time manual and noticed that the "check time zone automatically"  tab was on the off position , so I turned on, and clicked on the "set time " button 

SUCSESS!!

I am now in sync with the rest of you. (not sure if it's a good thing) LOL

Thank you all for your help and getting me thinking in the right direction. 

You got it.  One greek ethnic to another.  My grandparents all came from Greece!  Im back in Melbourne FL still house hunting as I just retired and am debating when to head to Thailand and how much time I will spend in the states, etc.  Wierd having free time and no work schedule

2 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

You got it.  One greek ethnic to another.  My grandparents all came from Greece!  Im back in Melbourne FL still house hunting as I just retired and am debating when to head to Thailand and how much time I will spend in the states, etc.  Wierd having free time and no work schedule

Oh I never consider that. Maybe my computer started keeping "Greek time" ????

When I am in Greece and have an appointment, they are always late, LOL

but we are getting a bit of topic, so I will send you a PM and we can continue this conversation. ????

I will continue this conversation