Retirement using 65k monthly pension

I have recently arrived, and will be living on Koh Samui, on non O single entry visa 90 day based on marriage. I will start drawing a monthly pension from UK that meets the 65k baht requirement. I will begin transfering this into bangkok bank savings account starting mid october.
My 90 day visa will end 22 dec. Can I apply for a one year extension based on retirement with only 3 months of pension income proof? Will immigration accept this as i obviously cannot show 1 year of income because i just started drawing my pension?
If i cannot use the 65k method for a year then what other options are available to stay long term? I do not want to do the 800k method.
Appreciate all members input who have experience of this situation. Also, are there any other issues I need to be aware of when applying for this extension?

The rules allow a extension of stay application to be done with only 2 months of transfers from abroad. Whether the local immigration office you apply at accept it or not is hard to predict.

If married to a Thai you would only need 40k baht of income or 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months on the day you apply for a extension of stay based upon marriage.

• Like 2

Just one thing for you to think about. Some several years ago I applied for an extension based on marriage (my first extension) and, although we had amassed all the paperwork, the IO directed me towards an extension based on retirement on the basis that I met the financial requirements and it was 'much easier'.  I don't know if this still happens but if you are bringing over the financial requirements for a retirement extension, this is what you might be encouraged to get.

On the other hand, after several years of fairly easy extensions based on retirement and reading sagas of people having to jump through hoops every year for their marriage extensions, a retirement extension might be the better option if you can afford it.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP, personally for this first extension I would use money in bank method. The 400k would need to be in bank for 2 months on day of application. It remains in bank during under consideration period~ a month. Then you can use it.

At the same time I would start my monthly transfers of 40k, with the view of using that method for following extension (end of 2022). 

Edited by DrJack54

Combination Method. For a retirement extension I transfer, via Wise, Bht 50k monthly and have Bht 220k in the bank = total Bht 820. Accepted by MY Immigration anyway. Never been asked where the Bht 50k comes from, pension, rental income, immoral earnings, as long as it comes from abroad every month.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

I dont want to do the marriage extension route for personal reasons. I will try at the Samui immigration office with the retirement extension and see what they say with just a few months income from abroad.

Appreciate all your suggestions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hounddog said:

I dont want to do the marriage extension route for personal reasons. I will try at the Samui immigration office with the retirement extension and see what they say with just a few months income from abroad.

Appreciate all your suggestions.

I got my NON O visa in the UK before I came, which would be based on retirement, but not actual finalised because could not get things like CRB checks done in time.

Then when here did a 90 day in out at the border, (without going out 100 baht fee) and eventually sorted for the 'Annual' extension after 6 odd months. In theory I could apparently have done 2 more 90 day in/outs before finalising so there seems to be time to get things sorted if needed.????????????????

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

I got my NON O visa in the UK before I came, which would be based on retirement, but not actual finalised because could not get things like CRB checks done in time.

Then when here did a 90 day in out at the border, (without going out 100 baht fee) and eventually sorted for the 'Annual' extension after 6 odd months. In theory I could apparently have done 2 more 90 day in/outs before finalising so there seems to be time to get things sorted if needed.

You apparently had a multiple entry non-o visa that allowed unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date is was issued. Those are not longer being issued in the UK.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hounddog said:

Appreciate all members input who have experience of this situation. Also, are there any other issues I need to be aware of when applying for this extension?

Yes, first time you apply for extension based on retirement, using the FFT (Foreign Telegraphic Transfer) method, you only need two month as approval.

You can find answers to how to apply for extension of stay in the pinned thread in the local Koh Samui forum - the immigration office here is little more strict than other places - you need for example also a health check, TM30-registering your address, and some maps to your home. You can find the pinned thread here, move to the last pages for latest updates...

The current list of required documents should still be this one...

CCB35401-964C-4FBD-94A0-E064B53C0BF1.thu

• Thanks 1