Exporting Thai Scooters To Usa

rowley

Forgive me if this has been covered but I have been unable to find any info on exporting the Yamaha Nuovos or other similar cool looking Thai scooters to the USA. I own one now and would love to have one at home. Additionally I think these thai scooters are so much cooler looking than the scooters being offered by Honda and Yamaha in the states I am wondering if there might be a market for these babies and I am curious about the various hurdles that may exist.

You dont have enough money to get a foreign vehicle into the US. Lots of cool scooters for sale in bike shops in the US, just get out the wallet and buy one off a dealers floor.

The hurdles are EPA and DOT compliance to get yours in, and in addition to those hurdles, product liability insurance to market and sell them to others.

Enjoy your too cool scooter in Thailand, take lots of picts for the folks at home and forget ever putting one on a boat.

Yea I'm sure the cost of duty alone would excede the price of the scooter & then there is shipping.

From Maui Hawaii to Bangkok shipping & duty taxes were $27,500 for a new ford ranger that I paid $17,200

For brand new. I think you can also get a motorcycle cheaper in America anyway. I noticed in the bigger bikes you could beat the Thai prices easily.

Yea I'm sure the cost of duty alone would excede the price of the scooter & then there is shipping.

From Maui Hawaii to Bangkok shipping & duty taxes were $27,500 for a new ford ranger that I paid $17,200

For brand new. I think you can also get a motorcycle cheaper in America anyway. I noticed in the bigger bikes you could beat the Thai prices easily.

There are no duties levied to import your scooter into the US. Only on importing into Thailand. Because no large bikes are built and sold in Thailand, everything over 200cc has been imported in some way and exhorbitant duties applied. Thats why Thailand is so expensive compared with Japanese or American markets.

You simply will never get the bike through customs, it does not comply with US regulations and never will. They have a car shredder in Long Beach that runs all day, every day for folks who dont do their homework. They are reduced to scrap at the importers expense.

• 2 years later...

Just a thought, but, if the base model is the same (ie, frame) would it not be an idea to just export the plastics etc to the US? Then you would have a Thai stylie bike but on an already approved scoot in the US?

Just a thought

FF