Parents seek foundation's help after soi dog almost rips out 2 year old's eye

webfact

4pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A mother and father went to seek the help of Paveena Hongsakul at the foundation that bears her name yesterday, reported Daily News.

Wirachai and Nataya's 2 year old daughter Nong Pleng had been attacked at a cement factory camp by a mongrel dog.

Wirachai said that his wife was out at work and he was at the Bang Khen, Bangkok, camp with his daughter. 

While he was taking a shower he heard her scream and she was being attacked in the head. He managed to chase the dog away.

She needed emergency surgery to repair tear ducts in her left eye with silicone implants and will be unable to open her eye.

He said that other workers at the camp had had their children bitten many times and were afraid to let them out.

The son of the owner of the dog - who appears to have left it there for years while he works at another of the companies camps - arrived to give the little girl a paltry 500 baht.

The owner refused to accept any responsibility saying the dog was not his problem after leaving it there for 5-6 years.

Paveena has contacted the local police and other officials to get the dog removed and relocated to somewhere more appropriate. 

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Sad 8

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I disagree....    these issues exist and repeatedly occur because they are not handled correctly and firmly without compromise. 

ALL dogs should have a collar identifying the owner responsible. 

IF a dog does not have a collar, it doesn’t have an owner - it is taken away and euthanised. 

IF a dog does have a collar but is on the streets, the owners are fined. IF the owners refuse the fine, it is taken away an euthanised. 

Additionally, any dogs which are considered dangerous breeds need to be licensed. IF they are not licensed and kept on a secure compound where they can’t escape they should be removed and.... 

The problem now exists because it wasn’t handled properly before.

My Brother in law had a stray cat at the back of his restaurant. He didn’t want to ‘deal with it’.

The stray got pregnant, then he had to deal with 8 kittens and a Cat, pi$$ing and shi#ing everywhere, the smell would enter his restaurant. He had no choice but to ‘deal with’ 9 lives (no pun) rather than just the one at the very beginning. But, all he did was take them and dump them in Lumpini where they are someone else’s problem (or Lizard food !).

I want to see responsible pet ownership - there are way too many animals in Thailand that have a miserable life because people don’t care to deal with the issues surrounding them. 

Some will argue Buddhism comes into it, but I don’t think so. Buddhism is just used as an excuse not to do something about the issue - as soon as the issue potentially costs people money those same ‘Buddhist values’ will disappear very quickly. 

Many years ago there was a similar problem in Bali. Many dogs, many mange ridden, miserable and starving and forming packs that at night would battle each other with incredible ferocity. Often in the morning there would be at least one ripped open and dying on the street. Many tourists were afraid to be on the street in the evenings. Hindu and Buddhists are not so far apart in religious reservations. But there was a sudden sweep of stray dogs in response to a major outbreak of rabies. The outcome over the years seems to have at least resulted in a greater measure of responsibility by acknowledged owners at least in the urban tourist areas.

It was a horrific measure that to date has not been entirely effective in intent but measurably so in other benefits overall.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/dog-culling-and-vaccination-are-the-front-line-in-balis-battle-against-rabies-20151007-gk3j7a.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

These dogs should be exterminated, plain and simple.

As for the family, if there was some method to donate in these articles, i'd gladly donate.

The trouble is a lot of Thais have these dogs from pups and when they get bigger nobody wants them. A lot of these dogs get dropped off at the nearest Temple which the Monks try to take care of them. But some dogs don't like eating rice everyday so they leave and form packs. Then we have trouble.

Edited by vandeventer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

These sorts of instances should be made the responsibility of the Government for costs and massive compensation given that they ignore the issue of uncontrolled dogs and the need for regulations other than abuse protection for the dogs !

Unfortunately the majority of Thais tolerate Soi dogs as they act as free security.

Nothing is going to change.

31 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

To all those do-gooders and tree huggers; such "pets" would be toast if I would be around. 

This is a problem caused by people and not dogs and the only way is for people to take their finger out and do something.

Edited by Asquith Production
add text
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, smew said:

Another child hurt and scarred for life.

In Thailand every year one or two children get killed by soi dogs.

When will authorities seriously look at this issue and control these soi dogs????

Chemical castrations and in one year problem eliminates itself... 

Eliminate all soi dogs  

By the number of large 5-10 member packs of healthy strays living on wasteland and the amount of food you see put out for them, a lot of people must really like having them around.

I love dogs, as in playful affectionate pets, but not so much a pack of wild dogs barking and <deleted>ting everywhere.  I don't really get it.  it must be a fatalistic Buddhist thing.  "There's nothing we could possibly do to control them and it is good karma to feed them."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JMonroe said:

The poor child. Neuter the dog, as should happen with all soi dogs, and he may not be aggressive anymore. I blame the dog owner and the cement company. They should remove the dogs, but I honestly don't know what should be done with them. The BMA caught and took away most soi dogs a few years ago. Sadly, they just dumped them in some huge outdoor pen somewhere upcountry and let them starve to death. And of course they horrifically began attacking and eating each other because they were starving. There has to be a more humane solution than that.

Round them up and send them to Lao.  Happens all the time in uthan thani.  

• Like 1