Parents seek foundation's help after soi dog almost rips out 2 year old's eye

webfact

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Seems to be the extent of responsibility , a Dr. along our soi ,4 dogs

just lets them out, they have bitten several people, the Postman

refuses to come here, after they caused him to fall off his motorbike,

paid 500 Thb  even though some people had the expense of Rabies shots.

regards Woreordie

Ok, and you didn´t say anything either? Posting about it here like something wrong is much more effective.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I can remember only a few years ago ( well maybe 10 or more ) when there was a thriving dog meat market in the North East. I used to often see truck loads of live dogs being transported to the big dog meat market in the far N.E. at Sakhonakhorn. There was no problem with soi dogs then.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Ok, and you didn´t say anything either? Posting about it here like something wrong is much more effective.

Of cause I did ,with little effect, he kept the dogs inside for maybe a couple of

months, then started letting them roam again, after which they started dying

one by one, thankfully he never replaced them,    P.S.  I don't know why you would

make a comment like that, you don't know me or what I did.

before you make another comment , I did not kill the dogs.

Regards Worgeordie

10 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Why is this even news? Nothing will ever change with the problem of feral dogs in Thailand.

Even Paveena calls for the  animal to be "relocated" when it must be humanely destroyed.

Agree with you - except "feral" in the context here is not correct as the dog appears to be owned by someone (which in the circumstances is highly unusual!) i.e. feral means  "in a wild state, especially after escape from captivity or domestication." 

Maybe, "relocated" is the animal equivalent of " inactive post"?

40 minutes ago, jdlhalliday said:

I can remember only a few years ago ( well maybe 10 or more ) when there was a thriving dog meat market in the North East. I used to often see truck loads of live dogs being transported to the big dog meat market in the far N.E. at Sakhonakhorn. There was no problem with soi dogs then.   

My niece lives in kapangpet (not sure of spelling) and she used to say that people came through her village collecting dogs. Supposedly there was a village with dog heads on poles 

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I disagree....    these issues exist and repeatedly occur because they are not handled correctly and firmly without compromise. 

ALL dogs should have a collar identifying the owner responsible. 

IF a dog does not have a collar, it doesn’t have an owner - it is taken away and euthanised. 

IF a dog does have a collar but is on the streets, the owners are fined. IF the owners refuse the fine, it is taken away an euthanised. 

Additionally, any dogs which are considered dangerous breeds need to be licensed. IF they are not licensed and kept on a secure compound where they can’t escape they should be removed and.... 

The problem now exists because it wasn’t handled properly before.

My Brother in law had a stray cat at the back of his restaurant. He didn’t want to ‘deal with it’.

The stray got pregnant, then he had to deal with 8 kittens and a Cat, pi$$ing and shi#ing everywhere, the smell would enter his restaurant. He had no choice but to ‘deal with’ 9 lives (no pun) rather than just the one at the very beginning. But, all he did was take them and dump them in Lumpini where they are someone else’s problem (or Lizard food !).

I want to see responsible pet ownership - there are way too many animals in Thailand that have a miserable life because people don’t care to deal with the issues surrounding them. 

Some will argue Buddhism comes into it, but I don’t think so. Buddhism is just used as an excuse not to do something about the issue - as soon as the issue potentially costs people money those same ‘Buddhist values’ will disappear very quickly. 

Agree. And one of the core ideas of Buddhism is to alleviate suffering.  By not tackling the problem, feeding stray animals so they can reproduce and make more feral animals...is simply INCREASING suffering. 

11 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

These dogs should be exterminated, plain and simple.

As for the family, if there was some method to donate in these articles, i'd gladly donate.

A donation will help just in this single reported Case.

And all the thousands of unknown??

Several months ago Prayuth got a plan to rise taxes for the dog owners.

A good idea. Every owner would have been responsible.

Rest of dogs taken by dog hunters.

However...... he failed. That's Thailand.????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

Everyone who tries to tackle this problem ends up against the Buddhist clergy, and the concept of reincarnation. I was once attacked by two dogs while cycling, they came out of a temple and when I stepped down and tried to massage their backs with a stick, they quickly retreated in there. My luck I guess, because if I had hurt them I would probably have been in trouble.

If a dog hurts you, nobody owns the dog. If you hurt the dog, the whole soi will want compensation for their beloved animal.

Agree, got same experience when on a bike. Years ago under Thaksin there existed an armada of dog hunters. At that time I felt quite comfortable. Same as Vietnamese with fresh dog meat. ????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Of cause I did ,with little effect, he kept the dogs inside for maybe a couple of

months, then started letting them roam again, after which they started dying

one by one, thankfully he never replaced them,    P.S.  I don't know why you would

make a comment like that, you don't know me or what I did.

before you make another comment , I did not kill the dogs.

Regards Worgeordie

I was not going to ask you if you killed the dogs. I apologize. If you did do what you could, then you are different from all the other complainers on this forum. Just that it sounded like the normal drivel.

19 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Attack anyone, get euthanised.  That should be the procedure.

Didn't the dog who killed a man a few months back apologise to some monks at a temple? 

I agree with you by the way. I'm just pointing out that the Thais will think a dog is genuinely sorry if it apologises to some monks lol. 

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Nong Pleng had been attacked at a cement factory camp by a mongrel dog.

the owner of the dog - who appears to have left it there for years while he works at another of the companies camps

saying the dog was not his problem after leaving it there for 5-6 years...

If the dog would have been treated species appropriate and good taken care of , that would not have happened .

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I disagree....    these issues exist and repeatedly occur because they are not handled correctly and firmly without compromise. 

IF a dog does not have a collar, it doesn’t have an owner - it is taken away and euthanised. 

IF a dog does have a collar but is on the streets, the owners are fined. IF the owners refuse the fine, it is taken away an euthanised. 

Additionally, any dogs which are considered dangerous breeds need to be licensed. IF they are not licensed and kept on a secure compound where they can’t escape they should be removed and.... 

My Brother in law had a stray cat at the back of his restaurant. He didn’t want to ‘deal with it’.

The stray got pregnant, then he had to deal with 8 kittens and a Cat, pi$$ing and shi#ing everywhere, the smell would enter his restaurant. He had no choice but to ‘deal with’ 9 lives (no pun) rather than just the one at the very beginning. But, all he did was take them and dump them in Lumpini where they are someone else’s problem (or Lizard food !).

I want to see responsible pet ownership - there are way too many animals in Thailand that have a miserable life because people don’t care to deal with the issues surrounding them. 

Some will argue Buddhism comes into it, but I don’t think so. Buddhism is just used as an excuse not to do something about the issue - as soon as the issue potentially costs people money those same ‘Buddhist values’ will disappear very quickly. 

A thoughtful post ... 

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Probably most on this site would agree with what you say and it’s what occurs in most Western countries.

The difficulty is having it enacted and I certainly don’t have the answer.

17 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

To all those do-gooders and tree huggers; such "pets" would be toast if I would be around. 

Typical Thai style, feed them, feel sorry for your ancestors and if they attack a child it is terrible but nobody is doing anything about it. A two year old might not understand certain behaviour rules around such animals. The parents should be reprimanded too for lack of attention and supervision but the dog also needs to go! 

Now, now Macho Man. I'm often called a tree hugging, do gooder and proud of such nomenclature.

However, I feel that now is the time for the return of the "dog man" who would come the village every week or so and capture strays pointed out to him by villagers. I think they ended up in Vietnam but that's another story.....

On 10/6/2021 at 11:05 AM, BangkokReady said:

Attack anyone, get euthanised.  That should be the procedure.

we have had 2 families move into our street recently both have dogs tied up all day while at work  barking ..howling all day till owners come back i can see why these dogs attack must drive them crazy      I have 2 young kids who ride their bikes on our soi but now afraid to ride past these dogs  ...scurge of thailand 

17 hours ago, androokery said:

Dogs are not worth the same as that little child...

No human has more worth than any other living being. 

In this case, if the dog attacked the child unprovoked, then yes, the dog should have to face consequences, maybe even euthanasia if it were found to be a serial offender or this single attack was very savage. But, if the  child attacked the dog unprovoked, then he too should have to face the same set of consequences.

That's why I added "people" to the suggestion in the original post.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Red Forever said:

Now, now Macho Man. I'm often called a tree hugging, do gooder and proud of such nomenclature.

However, I feel that now is the time for the return of the "dog man" who would come the village every week or so and capture strays pointed out to him by villagers. I think they ended up in Vietnam but that's another story.....

They still roamed the hills of Northern Thailand a few years ago - a plastic pail per dog ....... 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 11:05 AM, BangkokReady said:

Attack anyone, get euthanized.  That should be the procedure.

Why blame the dog? Yes the dog attacked , but the owner should take responsibility for the animal. plus people said the dog had bitten before, so why didn't they do or say something? easy after the event to place blame on the animal when it's the humans who really cause the problem.