Staying in Thailand 90 days

Hi everyone, I intend to stay in Thailand for 90 days from January 2022 till April 2022. I understand that my best option would probably be to get a 60 day tourist visa which I will then extend another 30 days.

My concern is will it be ok for me to book my return flight 90 days after my departure date? Since I only have 60 days to start off with, could the agent ask me why my return is after that period and possibly refuse entry to the country? 

Same concern for accommodation. I like to have everything sorted out before I get there so I would rather book online for my intended 90 days. Will this raise a problem with the officer?

Best,

Johnyboy

Immigration and the airlines will not ask for a return or onward ticket since it is not required if you have a valid visa for entry.

But most embassies and official consulate want ticket out of the country within 60 day to apply for a tourist visa.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, bluejets said:

Depends which country you are from.

Example...Australia STV visa allows 90 days straight up.

A normal tourist visa only allows a 60 day permit to stay when you enter the country.

Only the the special tourist visa (STV) allows a 90 day entry.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration and the airlines will not ask for a return or onward ticket since it is not required if you have a valid visa for entry.

But most embassies and official consulate want ticket out of the country within 60 day to apply for a tourist visa.

That's not my experience:

- Airlines : on departure (going to Thailand), they often want to see proof that you have already booked return flights (or any flight out of Thailand)  in line with your visa. Otherwise they don't allow you to check in. That's happened to me at least twice, and fortunately I had the proof with me. Once, that was in CDG airport and it took me several minutes fumbling through my bags to find the print of such booking - phew! There was a queue building up behind me but the airline desk would absolutely not proceed with the check-in without such proof.

- Hence best is to have 1) either a flexible ticket, as someone said above - change the dates once you are in Thailand; or 2) a "throw-away" booking out of Thailand, if possible refundable.

- Embassies : Thailand embassies are notoriously not consistent with each other (surprise surprise!). The one I'm dealing with clearly told me that I could apply for a 60-days TR visa even with return flights booked 90 days after arrival in Thailand (as I did early this year, it worked perfectly). Best is you ask the embassy you are dealing with, hopefully they will reply.

- 60 days extension to 90 days: you can easily obtain an extra 30 days once in Thailand. I think it costs 1900 THB (or close). I did it at Khon Kaen immigration and, for the sale cost, the lady officer gave me an extra 60 days, allowing my total stay being 120 days! Maybe because of my good looks ????, maybe my Thai girlfriend knew what to say? No idea...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, gejohesch said:

- 60 days extension to 90 days: you can easily obtain an extra 30 days once in Thailand. I think it costs 1900 THB (or close). I did it at Khon Kaen immigration and, for the sale cost, the lady officer gave me an extra 60 days, allowing my total stay being 120 days! Maybe because of my good looks ????, maybe my Thai girlfriend knew what to say? No idea...

Or maybe she made a mistake.

8 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Or maybe she made a mistake.

I don't think so. The Thai administration maybe a bit of navigation, but once you are in the right place, it usually becomes a very clear cut affair. These people do it all the time, they know what they are doing.

2 minutes ago, gejohesch said:

I don't think so. The Thai administration maybe a bit of navigation, but once you are in the right place, it usually becomes a very clear cut affair. These people do it all the time, they know what they are doing.

I think she made a mistake.

BTW it's up to you to check the number of days given is correct.

60 day extension is given for 'extension to visit wife' 

An covid extension is also 60 days.

All extensions are 1900baht.

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I think she made a mistake.

BTW it's up to you to check the number of days given is correct.

60 day extension is given for 'extension to visit wife' 

An covid extension is also 60 days.

All extensions are 1900baht.

"60 day extension is given for 'extension to visit wife' "

Hmmm.... that could explain it. Although we are not married "officially", we have been living together in a "traditional" marriage for years. Thailand is not like a western country when it comes to family relationships.

On 10/6/2021 at 11:20 AM, ubonjoe said:

Saw on Thai embassy website Vienna that hotel/airticket is presently not required for visa application.