Thai law on breaking and entering

Saraburi121

We have a burglar in my village who used to steal on a semi regular basis, he was always caught and fined and has done time as well. Once he broke into a school teachers house which was guarded by two large dogs, he got over this problem by giving them scraps of food through the railings for about two weeks and the dogs left him alone when he broke in while the teacher and his wife were out. He was seen coming out of the house and was reported to the police, the teacher was so angry that he told the police that if the thief wasn't sentenced to a prison term he would find him and shoot him, the laconic reply from the police officer was, "Don't let any witnesses see you".

• Haha 1

On 10/7/2021 at 2:17 AM, JWRC said:

I was told by a Thai shall we say special forces position to fire 2 shots, the first to kill the 2nd into a wall or roof. When the authorities arrive you reverse it, the one in the roof was the warning, the next one was to stop them. I said it probably wouldn't be necessary to kill a person, maybe just aim for a leg, no, no he said, dead people cannot speak. This chap invited me to the Army firing range for some target practice, which assured me I could do as suggested.  Before it got this serious they would have to get past my German Shepherds and I don't like their chances.

As a falang we are not allowed guns anymore even to defend ourselves.

• Like 1

I was told by a Thai shall we say special forces position to fire 2 shots, the first to kill the 2nd into a wall or roof. When the authorities arrive you reverse it, the one in the roof was the warning, the next one was to stop them. I said it probably wouldn't be necessary to kill a person, maybe just aim for a leg, no, no he said, dead people cannot speak. This chap invited me to the Army firing range for some target practice, which assured me I could do as suggested.  Before it got this serious they would have to get past my German Shepherds and I don't like their chances.

Hmm... then you would have to explain how the foreigner came to be in possession of a gun.  unless you you shoot and hand it over to the wife? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Possession of a baseball bat in England is not legal unless you can prove you play basketball on a regular basis..Its a known weapon. The police are not stupid in this regard. Hammer, screwdriver or kitchen knives is the way to go. Anyway a baseball bat is too big, too long to swing in many rurnished rooms..

they play basketball with baseball bats in England ? This I have to see

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

That's not going to help in court! Don't rely on word of mouth. I'm sure you're allowed to defend yourself within reason. If the intruder turns up dead, they might well conclude that your actions where not within reason...

Finally a voice of reason, your probably not from the US ?

In most of Europe they say lethal force is almost never justified. There has to be a proportionate response. So guy comes in unarmed you shoot and kill him you will go to jail. (could be different if your back is against the wall the guy is huge and crazy running at you).

But basically you just have to react within reason and its also not allowed to kill someone when they are running away. In the UK there was a guy who shot thieves that were running out. That is not self defense, that is vengance or whatever.

So best thing is to scare someone off without killing him and to make sure your house is safe.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Doesn't work for a farang who is then asked for the gun ownership documents.

Which is not a problem is you have the P.3 and P.4 for a legal firearm.  My wife ran this scenario past the village headsman as well as the local police as I was away from home for extended periods of time last year.  They told her deadly force was allowed if our locked property line or home were breached by an intruder.  This is the exact reason the Thai government issues firearm permits - home defense, and most farang would be seriously surprised to know how many Thais own legal firearms especially out here in rural Thailand.
Are Thais allow to carry them around?  No.  But for home defense.  Yep.
So many constantly comment on America gun culture and yet most can't even see the tip of the gun culture iceberg here in Thailand.

On 10/7/2021 at 12:56 AM, Saraburi121 said:

We have 3 good dogs, best security you can get unless it is someone they are familiar with. 

It's the easiest thing ever to drop poisoned meat at them, unless they are trained to only eat what you give them.

28 minutes ago, connda said:

Which is not a problem is you have the P.3 and P.4 for a legal firearm.  My wife ran this scenario past the village headsman as well as the local police as I was away from home for extended periods of time last year.  They told her deadly force was allowed if our locked property line or home were breached by an intruder.  This is the exact reason the Thai government issues firearm permits - home defense, and most farang would be seriously surprised to know how many Thais own legal firearms especially out here in rural Thailand.
So many constantly comment on America gun culture and yet most can't even see the tip of the gun culture iceberg here in Thailand.

So you think that your allowed to use deadly force if someone unarmed gets into your house ?. I doubt it otherwise the Swiss would not have any problems. You probably have to prove you were in danger too just like in normal countries. Even in the US you can't just shoot anyone who gets in your house if they have no weapons (some states maybe).

There are always conditions to deadly force. 

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

We have a burglar in my village who used to steal on a semi regular basis, he was always caught and fined and has done time as well. Once he broke into a school teachers house which was guarded by two large dogs, he got over this problem by giving them scraps of food through the railings for about two weeks and the dogs left him alone when he broke in while the teacher and his wife were out. He was seen coming out of the house and was reported to the police, the teacher was so angry that he told the police that if the thief wasn't sentenced to a prison term he would find him and shoot him, the laconic reply from the police officer was, "Don't let any witnesses see you".

There was someone I knew personally who committed a crime against me, I reported it to the police, he was charged, went to court and pleaded guilty, he was then admonished.

The detective sergeant in charge of the case told me that the police were fed up with the leniency of the courts, and said to me something along the lines of "get him yourself and sort him out, but make sure nobody sees you". I did.

Edited by possum1931

1 hour ago, robblok said:

In most of Europe they say lethal force is almost never justified. There has to be a proportionate response. So guy comes in unarmed you shoot and kill him you will go to jail. (could be different if your back is against the wall the guy is huge and crazy running at you).

But basically you just have to react within reason and its also not allowed to kill someone when they are running away. In the UK there was a guy who shot thieves that were running out. That is not self defense, that is vengance or whatever.

So best thing is to scare someone off without killing him and to make sure your house is safe.

Yes and then he will just come back when he finds out you are not there. if you are strong enough and can handle yourself, put him down by any means, and make sure he stays there till the police come, if he tries to get up, put him down again. The safety of yourself and family come before any laws.

31 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes and then he will just come back when he finds out you are not there. if you are strong enough and can handle yourself, put him down by any means, and make sure he stays there till the police come, if he tries to get up, put him down again. The safety of yourself and family come before any laws.

You think he would come back, usually they dont. But why do you think that if you hold a guy get him arrested he wont come back later for revenge.

I find it a bit strange that you think that if he gets away he will go back but if caught he won't look for revenge. I mean both are things an idiot would do. Most burglars wont come back and wont take revenge. But once in a while you got idiot. I have never had problems not in Thailand not in Netherland.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

You think he would come back, usually they dont. But why do you think that if you hold a guy get him arrested he wont come back later for revenge.

I find it a bit strange that you think that if he gets away he will go back but if caught he won't look for revenge. I mean both are things an idiot would do. Most burglars wont come back and wont take revenge. But once in a while you got idiot. I have never had problems not in Thailand not in Netherland.

If you get the chance to catch someone on your property and just let him go, there is the chance that he will  think you are an easy touch, and come back later.

"But why do you think that if you hold a guy get him arrested he wont come back later for revenge." If I caught a stranger on my property and was able to put him down, I would make sure he stayed there, then he won't want to come back to get the same as he got before, but I understand he could send two or three Somchai's to get me instead.

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

If you get the chance to catch someone on your property and just let him go, there is the chance that he will  think you are an easy touch, and come back later.

"But why do you think that if you hold a guy get him arrested he wont come back later for revenge." If I caught a stranger on my property and was able to put him down, I would make sure he stayed there, then he won't want to come back to get the same as he got before, but I understand he could send two or three Somchai's to get me instead.

Oh i don't mean i would let someone go on purpose but I certainly would not endanger myself to catch him either. I would not get a weapon to catch him or stuff like that.

With coming back i mean after prison or something like that. I mean you assume a guy comes back after a botched burglary but not for revenge. I think both are rare but if you consider one you should consider the other too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Switzerland ????

Lots of guns in the country's homes, but mostly because of military regulations, and hardly any abuse. 

5 hours ago, bbabythai said:

do you have a house right on the ocean front. Lucky you. Some people have the good life

Obamas' lucky, lays by the pool all day, barks at hotties on the beach, room service 24/7. I just pay the bills to support his lavish lifestyle. Summers at his mountain villa in Costa Rica.

image.png.f9077adacf42e1ab84f5060e485322c6.png

image.png.a8ce826ec2cdf20899a29381e1a63e9e.png

image.png.dd6a64f3e017c05d33e97dce9e7e6602.png

7 hours ago, connda said:

Are guns expensive in Thailand ?

Also (not legal advice), the intruder clearly armed himself/herself with one of your kitchen knives before you confronted them.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thaitom said:

Are guns expensive in Thailand ?

Overpriced compared to say the US (firearm heaven).   My Glock 26 was 60,000 Baht here, I have the exact same piece stateside which cost me something like $350..... these are the prices 20 years ago.  Oddly enough ammo prices stateside have succumbed to inflation while Thai prices are still pretty close to their previously 'inflated' prices a decade or so ago.   1000-1200 Baht a box for Winchester LRN 9mm, you used to be able to get this for like $8 a box at one time on cheaperthandirt, now it's around the same as the Thai price, which hasn't gone up.   

34 minutes ago, jazzdog32095 said:

Obamas' lucky, lays by the pool all day, barks at hotties on the beach, room service 24/7. I just pay the bills to support his lavish lifestyle. Summers at his mountain villa in Costa Rica.

image.png.f9077adacf42e1ab84f5060e485322c6.png

image.png.a8ce826ec2cdf20899a29381e1a63e9e.png

image.png.dd6a64f3e017c05d33e97dce9e7e6602.png

Yeah well "Jackie"  will easily sort  out any problem for me , get in the way and her of an insect and your  life may as  well be over

20210701_172332.jpg

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Like 1