Thai law on breaking and entering

Saraburi121

What is the law if you have someone breaking into your home while you are there (no extenuating circumstances such as being with someones gf/bf)?  Just you at home with wife or alone.  Of course defend your home but what is the law or anyones experiences?  Protocol here in the village is announce yourself loudly if the lights are out and never attempt to enter unless invited after dark.  Asked the local officials what would happen if someone breaks in my locked doors.  Most said deadly force was authorized if someone broke in a locked house after dark.  After dark seemed to be the main factor.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Never heard of any break-in's into houses by thieves around our way unless there's no-one home.

You have to talk with neighbours and get all kinds of gossip as well as to burglaries. Most times it seems to be via the roof on extensions.

20 minutes ago, bobandyson said:

You have to talk with neighbours and get all kinds of gossip as well as to burglaries. Most times it seems to be via the roof on extensions.

A lot depends where you live I assume only know of one robbery in our village in 16 years.

Keeping kids off drugs are the main problem for the local police. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bbko said:

Never underestimate those under the influence of drugs or alcohol, thievery isn't the only motive for breaking and entering someone's property.

I have 3 dogs and a cache of garden tools just in case someone want's to enter my yard.

Yes I know people here use dogs in case of intruders but there not train for it. 

As I say we are fortunate to live a a safe village where everyone looks out each other.

My farmhouse is my only concern but no incidents of anything broke or taken in 16 years and I leave a night light on all as no-one stays at night.

Neighbours all around that area would be more attractive is there is any thieves about. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes I know people here use dogs in case of intruders but there not train for it.

There are very few dogs that will all out attack an intruder if not trained to do it.

Most dogs will bark,out of fear or out of anger,a fearful dog will usually make a lot more sound.

Intruders do not like dogs because barking dogs will alert the owners.

We have two dogs,the soi dog makes a lot of noise but will never bite.

The second one does not bark a lot but she will bite.

Imo if someone enters your home uninvited you can certainly use force to remove them

or stop them from attacking you.

Shooting them once or twice could be considered self defense,emptying a whole clip

into the person can be considered murder.

You are only allowed enough force to stop the intruder.

Over here it would also help if you are connected.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jvs said:

There are very few dogs that will all out attack an intruder if not trained to do it.

Most dogs will bark,out of fear or out of anger,a fearful dog will usually make a lot more sound.

Imo if someone enters your home uninvited you can certainly use force to remove them

Shooting them once or twice could be considered self defense,emptying a whole clip

Yes agree as said living in a village neighbours are next to us and opposite, our house is in a small soi well protected when bolted up from inside with very strong bars on the inside of windows.

Intruders would be unable to break into the main house quietly.

14 hours ago, Saraburi121 said:

Most said deadly force was authorized if someone broke in a locked house after dark

That's not going to help in court! Don't rely on word of mouth. I'm sure you're allowed to defend yourself within reason. If the intruder turns up dead, they might well conclude that your actions where not within reason...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

That's not going to help in court! Don't rely on word of mouth. I'm sure you're allowed to defend yourself within reason. If the intruder turns up dead, they might well conclude that your actions where not within reason...

... agreed, I'd rather locate the problem in the 'turning up' part of said intruder though - it's basically where a bunch of hungry pigs comes in handy ...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jvs said:

Our four Jack Russell Terriers small as they are will attack anyone who comes in that they don’t know or we call them off.

No training but two attack from the front two from the back.

If that fails I have an old English Police truncheon someone gave me years ago.

Never needed so far.

20 hours ago, jazzdog32095 said:

The team, George W & Barbara don't miss a sound and Obama always wakes up <deleted> off.1818324709_P_20180425_103255(1).thumb.jpg.1292811b22a4764e8f56d2df2b2fe108.jpg

P_20190208_083220.jpg

P_20180529_123550 (1).jpg

P_20200619_081530.jpg

P_20200329_125929.jpg

P_20181214_074932.jpg

IMG-20181213-WA0004.jpg

P_20171225_182846.jpg

This is our house in Salvador Brazil. All of our neighbors have been robbed, many several times. This trio has kept us safe since 2014 when we built the house. It's a gated community but being directly on the beach makes it dicey, Truth be known Obama the Rotty is a complete coward and deep sleeper, GW Bush and Barbara deserve the credit. 

• Like 1

If you are a foreigner all bets are off, you should do as little as is possible if you have an intruder. If you are forced to do something and the intruder is hurt or dies, you will probably end up in prison for a while. Criminal justice in Thailand is so corrupt and unpredictable I would highly recommend no foreigner ever take any chances where you end up in the criminal justice system in Thailand. Talking tough is all well and good and being tough enough to handle prison here is possible but who the hell wants to spend even one day in these garbage dumps they call prisons in Thailand.

No, best to just do as little as possible and don't get involved in anything that could get you put into the criminal justice system in Thailand. Any 3rd world country for that matter. Actually any country.

• Sad 1

On 10/7/2021 at 12:39 AM, Saraburi121 said:

Yes have been reading about it hence what stoked my question.  Thai media seems to leave details out or ambiguous interpretations and never follow up on stories.  The news reporting is pretty abysmal. Just curious what the law is or anyones personal experience with a breaking and entering.

Here never much worry but yabaa makes folks do things they normally wouldn't. 

Actually charged? Or held?

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well you have to make sure you used reasonable force, much same like in UK I had 2 baseball bats in house, one to knock out the intruder and one to put next to the intruder for the police see. ????

Possession of a baseball bat in England is not legal unless you can prove you play basketball on a regular basis..Its a known weapon. The police are not stupid in this regard. Hammer, screwdriver or kitchen knives is the way to go. Anyway a baseball bat is too big, too long to swing in many rurnished rooms..