Which Scooters Have Larger Wheels and What is the Biggest Engine Size For City Traffic?

Texsinbad

4 hours ago, seedy said:

If the bars/mirrors fit - the widest part - the rest will too

..... not the widest part when angled, and the width between cars is also dependent on height. 

A small motorcycle or one of the narrower scooters is ideal for the close combat contact sport of Bangkok traffic.  On my daily commute, I was often frustrated by the Forza/Xmax riders.

There's a reason motorcycle taxis use Clicks and Waves with folded in mirrors.  Even a Filano or a 300 Vespa is a bit broad of beam for the Sukhumvit Slalom.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 8:28 PM, Pungdo said:

I have a Yamaha Aerox the wife and stepson bought me for my birthday this year, 155cc Fuel injected, goes like a cut snake, fantastic bike. I rode a Suzuki Hayate for 14 years before that and thought that was pretty good, but the Yammie is a cut above.

Yamaha-AEROX-2021-14.png

Agreed you can beat the Aerox for VFM and great for around town. Look no further.

• Like 1

Honda ADV 150 does appear to be the bike de jour at the moment. you wont find a negative review anywhere. Guys using them for longer travel. Sensible pricing, all the specs.

And there is a big after market for mods popping up, pipes, chips, different gear ratios etc.

I'm looking at early next year to trade the zoomer for one.

Years back there used to be Honda Sh150i imported from Vietnam and some Piaggio that has big 16" front wheel, rides better than any PCX sized 150s, the sizing suits european bodies better too

If  you're not too hung up on automatic 'scooters' clutchless manual underbone bikes like the Honda wave and SuperCubs with 17" wheels really rides better on poor roads 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kinnock said:

There's a reason motorcycle taxis use Clicks and Waves with folded in mirrors.

Motorcycle taxis are limited to not more than 125cc.

Some grab riders do use bigger bikes though.

The major reason for using a Wave or Click is the cost per kilometer.

For Bangkok I would also consider a Forza or XMax as being too big. But I think for Pattaya and occasional trips out of the city they are a good choice.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Texsinbad said:

Seems like I read that "big" bikes needed a different license.

What is a big bike and how much harder is it to get a "big" bike license?

Thanks

There's many threads on that question.

Don't if the search thing works or not on ANF.

At the moment as for m/c DL is business as usual.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Texsinbad said:

Seems like I read that "big" bikes needed a different license.

What is a big bike and how much harder is it to get a "big" bike license?

Thanks

Was in the works, then Covid hit.

400cc is the cutoff from small to big

Not in force yet

If economy is a consideration, go with the Honda 150 ADV. It's a great bike. Fatter tires are far more stable and less dangerous. More comfortable too. If budget is not a factor get the Honda Forza 350. I love mine. Incredible comfort and nice for a 100km highway trip too. 

Avoid the low end bikes like the Click, Fino, Scoopy, Wave, etc. They lack comfort and stability. Especially if you are a big guy or want an occasional passenger. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Avoid the low end bikes like the Click, Fino, Scoopy, Wave, etc. They lack comfort and stability. Especially if you are a big guy or want an occasional passenger. 

Come on that's rubbish, my Click is very stable, no less than my previous BMW F800GS plus others, yes if you are fat lanky <deleted> get a bigger longer bike

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Come on that's rubbish, my Click is very stable, no less than my previous BMW F800GS plus others, yes if you are fat lanky <deleted> get a bigger longer bike

For a bigger guy, the Click is a brutal ride. Not a bad bike. Solid. But not a comfy ride by any standard. 

If economy forces one into using it, so be it. But, we are talking about the choices we make in life. Not the sacrifices. 

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

You mentioned that a 125cc (or 150cc) Honda Click is as stable on the road as an F800GS ???  ????????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You mentioned that a 125cc (or 150cc) Honda Click is as stable on the road as an F800GS ???  ????????????

I've never had a problem with the Click, i remember with the BMW it was flying left and right 6ft in the wind in Scotland

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've never had a problem with the Click, i remember with the BMW it was flying left and right 6ft in the wind in Scotland

How much would the Click have flown left and right ?

On 10/10/2021 at 7:25 AM, digbeth said:

Years back there used to be Honda Sh150i imported from Vietnam and some Piaggio that has big 16" front wheel, rides better than any PCX sized 150s, the sizing suits european bodies better too

If  you're not too hung up on automatic 'scooters' clutchless manual underbone bikes like the Honda wave and SuperCubs with 17" wheels really rides better on poor roads 

Sadly the SH150 was only sold in Thailand for one year. A bit expensive (100,000bt) and too tall for the Thais I guess. 

I believe the SH300cc is available in some countries.

• Like 1

Xmax 300 or the Forza 300/350

The small (125-150) cc's are best in the city but will come short on occassional inter-provincial travel. 

Filtering traffic on an Xmax or a Forza is manageable, and they're somehow decent for longer trips too. 

52 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Anyone with a 150 ever needed more power? I've got 125i and never have, easy do 100

If a rider is gonna have a steady diet of highway miles, it's nice to have a heavier bike with more grunt.

The solution is owning 2 bikes. A Honda scooter with a flat floor as a grocery getter and a Ducati Multistrada for the road trips.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LarrySR said:

If a rider is gonna have a steady diet of highway miles, it's nice to have a heavier bike with more grunt.

The solution is owning 2 bikes. A Honda scooter with a flat floor as a grocery getter and a Ducati Multistrada for the road trips.

Yep, but he was asking about city traffic. I do 100+km a week on Sukhumvit and a 125i is fine like it is for most Thais, if i was doing a lot more and longer distances then maybe a bigger bike is worth it

Edited by scubascuba3

22 hours ago, Texsinbad said:

I see recommendations for 150/155 and then 300/350.

Is there anything inbetween like 200 or 250?

yes, the Suzuki Burgman 200 but it's not as common as Honda and Yamaha here. Repairs and parts might be a little difficult.