Which Scooters Have Larger Wheels and What is the Biggest Engine Size For City Traffic?

Texsinbad

I have been riding motorcycles/scooters for over 50 years with over 5 years in the Philippines where traffic laws basically don't exist, and 30 days in Pattaya back in 2008 where at each light, I felt like I was in a race, and I always had to keep reminding myself to drive on the left.

That said, I plan to go to Pattaya as soon as normal travel resumes, and will be buying a scooter.  I would like one with bigger wheels to handle rough roads, and with a bigger motor to travel around Thailand, BUT, I don't want it too big for riding in city traffic.  

Any suggestions/comments appreciated.

Thanks

Around town and on the local highway, 125 or 150cc would be fine, and cheap enough.  Long distance, depends how many hours on it you can tolerate and comfort level you want & wallet of course.  

If I was going to use for inter-province travel, I'd want at least a 750cc, and pricing on that, might as well get a car.

You don't need bigger wheels, i ride around on a Click 80\90 14, 90\90 14, plus i cycle on 25mm tyres.

The Click 125i is excellent around town and for travel between Sattahip and Pattaya. It can go 100kph, most bikes do around 80

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have the BMW G310GS.... it kind of splits the scooter / big bike thing...  its small enough to flick through traffic in Bangkok... and ‘can’ handle highways...  But, ideally, I’d go for something like a Honda ADV for around town and something larger for highway riding (i.e. F850GS, Tenere) and a Thurxton RS for fun. 

Anyone want to buy a BMW G310GS ?? ????

One of these in my condo car park, reminds me of an anorexic version of my BMW F800GS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

But... I felt it needed a little more ‘grunt’ - a 300cc would have been excellent. 

They do a 750 version...and allegedly a 300cc version is on it's way

This is the 750, The Honda X-ADV...

2021-Honda-X-ADV-First-Look-1 (Medium).jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Neilly said:

They do a 750 version...and allegedly a 300cc version is on it's way

This is the 750, The Honda X-ADV...

Yep, I’ve been looking at them -  Its 425,000 baht new.... 

.... If taking the X-ADV route I’d be more interested in the Africa-Twin *(not the Thai lowered pygmy version !) or the F850GS (575,000 baht new).

A 300cc ADV would be spot on..... Great around town and can handle highways and cruse at 120 kmh if needed. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

One of these in my condo car park, reminds me of an anorexic version of my BMW F800GS

Thats exactly what it is.....  a cheaper, lighter, skinnier 310cc version of BMW's G Machine... 

A step up from a Scooter (with less storage !) - Bit wheels for poor roads, not quite a full step up to a full on big bike - can thread traffic (*handlebars not too wide).

Perfect for those new to riding, can handle traffic, very comfortable upright seating position.

Its almost a ‘cross over’ motorcycle....    doesn’t have a great deal of power so is not dangerous when too throttle friendly.

IF the Honda ADV were 300cc it would be an excellent competitor...  just the other side of the ‘cross over’ divide.

Screenshot 2021-10-07 at 14.32.35.png

Screenshot 2021-10-07 at 14.32.44.png

Screenshot 2021-10-07 at 14.33.13.png

• Like 2

Honda ADV 150. I've rented it for two weeks in Phuket and was totally happy. Much better suspension and comfortable driving than the PCX. Could have a little more power for acceleration but I'm not a fast driver anyways. Cruising between 80 and 100 is fine. It even has a nice sound I think. If I wouldn't be driving manual bikes over automatic, I would buy the ADV. 

• Like 2

I would look at the Honda Forza.  A lot depends though on your size and physical condition; don't buy one that doesn't feel comfortable to sit on and get on & off the centre stand.  Could you pick it up if you dropped it?

• Like 2

There is a little known one around by Suzuki known as the Burman. That comes with a choice of 200 or 400cc engines. These are quite popular in Europe.

I was considering the smaller of the 2 when I bought my Aerox 2 years ago. It seems a bit dated on styling, but it might suit you.

I have a Yamaha Aerox the wife and stepson bought me for my birthday this year, 155cc Fuel injected, goes like a cut snake, fantastic bike. I rode a Suzuki Hayate for 14 years before that and thought that was pretty good, but the Yammie is a cut above.

Yamaha-AEROX-2021-14.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats exactly what it is.....  a cheaper, lighter, skinnier 310cc version of BMW's G Machine... 

A step up from a Scooter (with less storage !) - Bit wheels for poor roads, not quite a full step up to a full on big bike - can thread traffic (*handlebars not too wide).

Perfect for those new to riding, can handle traffic, very comfortable upright seating position.

Its almost a ‘cross over’ motorcycle....    doesn’t have a great deal of power so is not dangerous when too throttle friendly.

IF the Honda ADV were 300cc it would be an excellent competitor...  just the other side of the ‘cross over’ divide.

Screenshot 2021-10-07 at 14.32.35.png

Screenshot 2021-10-07 at 14.32.44.png

Screenshot 2021-10-07 at 14.33.13.png

Do these things require gear changes or are they all automatic? 

I don't want to have to change gears.

4 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Do these things require gear changes or are they all automatic? 

I don't want to have to change gears.

Those are motorbikes with gears.

In a city environment, a Honda/Yamaha scooter around 150 is probably the best choice. Easy to maneuver, enough power, can be fitted with boxes for extra storage, relatively economical and easy to maintain. There are 300cc versions, considerably more pricey, they could be better for longer range.

How often are you going to "travel around Thailand"? If not often, maybe rent a car? Rain and heat are not always fun on a 2-wheeler, and you may appreciate the extra storage.

• Like 1

Forza, Bergman, XMax - the larger what is called maxi scooters, and all of the smaller ones, are twist and go. No manual gear changes.

Honda Wave are semi auto - no clutch but you need to shift gears.

Anything else is a motorcycle - with a manual clutch and foot operated shifter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/7/2021 at 12:50 PM, richard_smith237 said:

+1 on the Honda ADV....    I rented one in Phuket for 2 weeks and found it to be excellent, I like the styling.

But... I felt it needed a little more ‘grunt’ - a 300cc would have been excellent. 

Thus: Forza 350cc - But you get double the engine, double the price - you are into ‘real bike’ territory.

Anyone want to buy a BMW G310GS ?? ????

Yep ....... I wanted to buy the latest version with LED lights and improved fueling, but not available in Thailand yet.  So not wanting to buy a new 'old' model, I'm looking at second hand.

For the OP's question - I agree that the motorcycles around 300cc are ideal for a do-it-all one bike solution.  BMW 310, Honda CBR300 (if you're small) or CRF300 (if you're taller) or probably the best, the Kaeasaki Z400.  Twin cylinder, quick, compact, but not too small.

The bigger 300cc scooters from Honda and Yamaha are also good options, but they are a bit fat for threading through traffic.  

5 hours ago, Kinnock said:

The bigger 300cc scooters from Honda and Yamaha are also good options, but they are a bit fat for threading through traffic.  

My Forza is the same width as the Wave and PCX at the handlebars/mirrors (the widest part).

Only 10cm longer - 4 inches.

Hardly a deal breaker

• Like 1

12 hours ago, seedy said:

My Forza is the same width as the Wave and PCX at the handlebars/mirrors (the widest part).

Only 10cm longer - 4 inches.

Hardly a deal breaker

Yes, although bars can be threaded over/under car mirrors and bike mirrors folded, but the fat back end of the 300cc+ scooters is a problem in dense city traffic.

When riding my Supercub in central Bangkok, and all the scooters and Waves stop lane splitting - it's a Forza or Xmax 75% of the time causing the hold up.  (The 25% is White Fortuna's stopped at an angle to stop the bikes).

• Haha 2