Khon Kaen floods

Russell17au

On "My Khon Kaen" the the great illusionist General Anupong Paochinda, Minister of the Interior visited the Huai Phra area. Phra Lap Subdistrict Municipality, Mueang District, Khon Kaen Province to monitor water management so that water does not flood the inner economic area. So far the water at the D8 floodgate has risen 4 metres and the outflow from the Ubonrat Dam has been reduced to 15 million cubic metres per day. The Interior Minister said that water management by all sectors can be done effectively and if there is no more rain It is expected that in about 10 days the flood situation in Khon Kaen province will begin to unfold. The thing is that this idiot forgot to check the weather report which shows thunderstorms for all next week because of the tropical storm "Lion Rock" that are approaching from the South China Sea. Plus the Thai Meteorological Department has issued 40% Thunderstorms for Sunday with 60% for Monday to Wednesday and 70% for Thursday & Friday with unknown report at the moment for any further activity. So "IF" there is no further rain then the floods should start to ease in 10 days. What an idiot.

• Like 1

As a resident of Mahasarakham (at least when I can get back there) I often visit Khon Kaen with my wife. I'm not really up to date with the flood situation although I've seen some reports on here but they tend to focus on Bangkok and significant cultural sites. I'll try to remember to ask my wife what she knows when I speak to her later. 

Here's hoping things aren't too bad where you are.

This is a video of the floods on Mittraphap Road (highway 2/Friendship Highway) at the southern edge of Khon Kaen city at 13:30 Saturday 9 October. These waters have now dropped about 100mm since the same time on Friday. With more thunderstorms and heavy rain due on Monday and for the whole of next week from the tropical storms "Lionrock" and "Kompasu"

Today I went back to the same spot that I went to yesterday on Mittraphap Road and the water level has dropped about another 100mm but unfortunately that is not enough of a drop before "Lionrock" hits and looking at the Khon Kaen weather radar the rain is going to arrive before daybreak tomorrow. I looked at the Thai Meteorological Department website and then their satellite images and it clealy shows "Lionrock" and "Kompasu" but if you look further out into the South China Sea there is another larger depression heading this way. At the moment the weather reports for Khon Kaen for the next 7 days are thunder showers list every day with tonight 30%, tomorrow, 70%, Tues 40%, Wed 60%, Thurs 70%, Fri 70% and Sat 60%. I could not find any report on the depression that is following after "Kompasu".

https://www.tmd.go.th/en/province.php?id=18

https://weather.tmd.go.th/kknLoop.php

I live in Banphai and was without water for 3 days due to the flooding of a water pumping station many kilometres away.

The weather forecast for this area always seems to be very unreliable, missed days drying laundry because it didn't rain when the forecast was for rain most of the day and vice versa.

Two years ago this area flooded for the first time in 50 years.

Guess it's back to wetting a finger and putting it in the air ...

My sympathy goes out to all those suffering at this time.

Well so much for "Lionrock" we didn't get one drop of rain in Khon Kaen. On the radar last night it covered the whole of the north east from the Laos border down to Udon Thani and across to Mudkahan but that was as far as the rain went. To be honest thou it is good because now the floods that came from Chiayaphum have a chance to move on and the people on the southern outskirts of Khon Kaen will be able to return to their homes until the next big one hits. Take care and keep safe everyone